Charity Begins....

RingoDave

Firstly, I have to admit to posting this in another "local" forum. I feel, however, so strongly about letting others know, that I am "broadcasting" it far and wide.

Almost four years ago, a group of musicians, including Rod Stewart and Suggs (Madness) launched a nationwide charity idea from a boat in the middle of the Thames in order to get maximum exposure. This was called "Busking For Cancer", the idea being that musicians all around the country would give their time and talents to raise money for Cancer Research.

The Warrington events were subsequently held in a number of places but, for the last few years, have been in the town centre, three or four times a year, raising about £600 per session. At times, there have been up to ten local musicians taking part.

The next session was to have been on 20th April this year until the organiser received a letter from WBC with a form to apply for a licence to busk. The cheapest of these, I understand, is a week's permit, costing £600.

Obviously this has now been cancelled indefinitely, as it seems pointless to give our time (five hours for some) to raise just enough to pay for the privilege of playing.

I wonder if this is just WBC. Are all the events nationwide going to suffer the same?

:(

OK so appologies for the ramble which follows but your post sort of rattled me as I lost my mum to the dreaded 'c' word just over 4 years ago.

So many lives are touched by cancer in one way or another that surely events like these and also for other similar causes should be exempt from the usual 'rules' and box ticking :evil:

I quote my other half's words as he read that at the same time as I did. He said " The world has gone 'beeping' bonkers" ( I susbstuted his real word for obvious reasons) but I agree with him.

Ironically I jokingly said to my son yesterday that he should go busking to earn a bit of pocket money and he mentioned buskers needed a licence but I never thought for one minute that they would cost that much.

.....and again like my other half just said, IF the "Busking For Cancer" people contacted the council to hold a specific charity event then chances are the cost would be even higher as no doubt other bodies such as the police, health and safety bods and god knows how many other bodies would need to be involved then.

Come on WBC... if people with talents are trying to raise money for such good causes and want to play on the streets then as long as each person playing is on a pre-notified list as being part of it then why on earth can't you just let them play, and raise money, FOR FREE !!!!

Infact I just googled and he 'Busking Cancer' website does state that

1. Do I need a busking licence?

This depends on the council for your area – they all have different rules and regulations. Once you have decided where you want to hold your Busking Cancer event, you need to contact your local council and ask exactly what forms are required for you to hold your event. Some councils will request that you apply for a licence and some councils will thank you for contacting them and will let you run your event without any further correspondence.

I suppose the other alternative would be for people to busk from areas of privately owned land where there could be a good footfall of people or maybe one of the prospective councillors may want to take up the cause and get it changed and approval granted as election time is looming after all :wink:

Any other ideas ?

RingoD... if you want two more guitarists (one who is allegidely crap ie me and one who is awsome ie my son to join you anywhere let us know and count us in). I left my other half out as his drums are a pain to transport and are a bit rusty these days just like the rest of him :unsure:

Sorry... I did say it would be a rant :oops:

I posted a reply on the 'other' forum, didn't realise it was you! Here you are:

There is a Live Music bill going through Parliament at present, supported by the ISM for professional musicians, which, if passed, will mean that live concerts etc. in small venues for audiences of less than 200 will not need licences. This may not precisely cover buskers, but thinking outside the box, there is no reason why lots of small venues around town could not hold a number of concerts for small audiences!

This may be of help going forward if it gets through.

I don't know if it was Algy, but many thanks to anyone who had a hand in this. I only found out yesterday, but today we have heard that WBC have had a change of heart.

In future, we will be allowed to hold this busking event as previously, so long as we give them a month's notice.

Well done everyone who helped....and thank you, Warrington Councillors for seeing sense.

Thank God for a free press.

Brilliant news RingoDave and I'm so glad the council have had a change of heart. Well done to the councillors and/or their officers : :D:D

Let us know where you are playing so we can come down and support you.... (I mean in the donation sense rather than the musical one ha ha... but then again there are a lot of people on here who are experts in playing with the 'spoons' ) :wink:

Dizzy

Well done to the councillors and/or their officers :

Dont understand this.

If the idiots on the council had not made such a stupid decision in the first place, there would be no need for having a word in 'some ones ear'.

get rid of the idiots and life will be simpler.

I don't know if it was Algy, but many thanks to anyone who had a hand in this. I only found out yesterday, but today we have heard that WBC have had a change of heart.

In future, we will be allowed to hold this busking event as previously, so long as we give them a month's notice.

Well done everyone who helped....and thank you, Warrington Councillors for seeing sense.

Thank God for a free press.

Glad it turned out good for you all! :wink::D :grin: