2. Horsemarket St. The Old Market & Golden Square.

algy

c1855. Golden Square viewed from Cheapside, the Old Court House and window of the Town Jail is straight ahead through the entry.

1855GoldenSquareviewedfromCheapsidetheoldTownHallstraightaheadthroughtheentry.jpg

Another view of Cheapside, Golden Square from Horsemarket Street.

1900sCheapsideGoldenSquareoffHorsemarketStreet.jpg

A romantic painting of 'Old Cheapside' by George Sheffield(1839 - 1892) painted in 1864. To me it doesn't relate to the photos as you would be hard pushed to get a carriage and horses down the street.

CheapsideWarringtonc1750.jpg

1870. 'Ye Olde Barley Mow', Golden Square, the street to the right is Market Street with the wall of 'The Vine Tavern' just visible, the entry under the Barley Mow leads to the old covered market place.

1870YeOldeBarleyMow.jpg

1930. Winwick Street.

1930WinwickStreet.jpg

c1930. Horsemarket Street viewed from market gate.

1930sHorseMarketSt1930s.jpg

c1930. A narrow Horsemarket Street looking towards Central Station.

1930sHorsemarketStlookingtowardsCentralStation.jpg

Houses in Pinshop Yard, TurnerStreet, off Winwick Street.

PinshopYardTurnerStreet.jpg

Central Station, everyone stops for the opportunity to have their photo taken.

WarringtonHoresmarketStreetbyCentralStation.jpg

Horsemarket Street the Blue Bell Vaults is on the left, enlarge the photo by clicking on it and you can just see a steam locomotive standing on Central Station bridge.

WarringtonHorsemarketStreettheBlueBellVaultsontheleft.jpg

Algy, you refer to Golden Square in some of your descriptions..... I always thought it was a name dreampt up for the new shopping centre.... was there a Golden Square in the 1800's?

Baz here's an 1851 map of The old market area (about where the Fish Market was) to the west of Horsemarket Street just off Market gate, I have marked Golden Square with a red 'X', you can just make the name out.

goldensquare1851.jpg

In Pigot's 1821 Lancashire Directory, Warrington section there were six Butchers and a Baker in Golden Square.

ScreenShot009.jpg

Well I never knew that. Like Baz I just thought it was a made up name that had been given to the new shopping centre for no other reason other than someone 'came up with it'.

Is there anything you don't know about Warrington's past Algy :D

Well I never knew that. Like Baz I just thought it was a made up name that had been given to the new shopping centre for no other reason other than someone 'came up with it'.

Is there anything you don't know about Warrington's past Algy :D

Dizz, there is far more I will never know about the old town that I will ever know!

I discovered something tonight just by looking at an image that I posted earlier today that I never thought I would ever see, the image was the last one of Horsemarket Street, I must have had that in my possession for years and only noticed tonight that a building on the right of the street had what looked like a carved stone bird on top of a balustrade up on the roof, when I enlarged a section of the photo it appeared to be an animal of some sort, looking at old maps it turned out to be on the 'Griffin' Hotel, the next building coming this way across 'Town Hill' is 'The White Bull Inn' also under and to the left of the PROVISIONS sign may be the doorway of what was 'The Little Horse Shoe' but I have an idea that when the photo was taken it may have been closed down, obviously they have always been on the photo just that I had never seen them.

ScreenShot010.jpg

WarringtonHorsemarketStreettheBlueBellVaultsontheleft.jpg

WarringtonHorsemarketStreettheBlueBellVaultsontheleft-1.jpg

Back in the days when I was but a mere schoolchild, one of the teachers at my school, not noted for being amiable, was having one of his grouses. People, he moaned, walk around the town looking in shop windows or down at the ground. They never bother to lift their heads and look what is up above the ugly shop fronts. If they did they would see what beautiful architecture there is at the top of the buildings just going to waste because nobody bothers to look up at it and don't even know it is there.

As many of your photos prove, Algy, he was correct, the moaning old bugger. :lol::lol::lol:

As usual - some stunning photographs! I have to add my thanks to the others as I had never seen any of these before, although I do have a lot of photos of old Warrington, including some of the King's visit.

d will you share these pictures Dave? I'd love to see them

Baz

I'm pretty sure Algy is correct in that he already has them on cd. I was given them by one of our customers when we ran the Ring O' Bells (hence the name!). We only knew him as "Ambulance Dave", but I think he was a member of the Historical Society. When I get the chance, I will upload some for you to check. There is one set of the aquaria in Bank Hall Gardens, if that helps.

I'm pretty sure Algy is correct in that he already has them on cd. I was given them by one of our customers when we ran the Ring O' Bells (hence the name!). We only knew him as "Ambulance Dave", but I think he was a member of the Historical Society. When I get the chance, I will upload some for you to check. There is one set of the aquaria in Bank Hall Gardens, if that helps.

This the one Dave, :wink:

WarringtonBankParkAquarium.jpg