We are all about to be watched

Lt Kije

I heard Labour tried and failed to bring it in,I cannot understand why the Tories are for it now when they were against when Labour tried

The situation could become worse If the EU get their way. The followin is an extract from an article by Open Europe. The full article can be found on openeurope.com

And crucially, the Commission's 2011 evaluation of the current Directive stated that:

The Commission will assess the need for, and options for achieving, a greater degree of harmonisation with respect to the authorities having and the procedure for obtaining access to retained data. Options might include more clearly defined lists of competent authorities, independent and/or judicial oversight of requests for data and a minimum standard of procedures for operators to allow access to competent authorities.

In other words, law enforcement authorities' access to retained communications data could be something that will be regulated by the EU in future, if the Commission opts for this approach and gets support from member states and MEPs.

What this would mean for the UK in practice is not entirely clear because the UK is often rather more keen on state snooping than other EU states (e.g. Germany, which doesn't implement the original directive after its Constitutional Court struck it down). It is therefore unlikely that the EU minimum standard for law enforcement access to data would go beyond current UK practice or what the Coalition is trying to do in future.

However, this week's media storm over how much access the state has to our personal data shows that the principle of allowing the EU to determine which authorities have access to our personal data, and when, could create huge political issues in the future. How would politicians like to tell their voters that in fact it is the EU that decides on who and how police forces can access their data?

Borris, open Europe is a euro skeptic think tank, don't know if you new :wink:

And what you were reading was a blog, might be wrong but is someone's blog not just their opinion ?

Some interesting thoughts on the UK though :wink:

Yes, I guess it's a bit like WW forum but usually a bit better informed !!!

As for being Euroscepic, I thought we all were on here ??

It is allowed, you call the mass media, but you refuse to say where you get your news, is because it will not stand up :wink: I can't see what your problem is :wink:

The legislation that the government are proposing, if I could I would vote against the more I here the less I like it.

Make up your mind. If you want me to comment on your posts then don't tell me I can't. And calling me a wimp is so childish!!

As for the "what media do I get my information from" rubbish you keep on about, we have already been here. I read a lot of the on line media, including the Grauniad (which ocasionally drifts away from its main agenda)as well as various blogs from around the world which give links to foreign media. The main thing to remember is that everything you read in the paper, or on blogs, is actually the opinion of the writer and you therefore have to use your own brain cells and make an informed decision based on the information presented. Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to do this Lt Kije. However even now I'm not going to call you childish names :wink: :wink: :wink:

If you read a wide enough selection then you will get a wide range of opinion and reach an opinion of your own. You won't get this range from the Grauniad and the BBC which seems to be about your limit. Unless you want to suprise me?

Incidentally, if you had bothered to read my post to the end I made exactly the point about blogs, and the media in general, being opinion pieces.You have to use your own mind to sort through the dross and form an opinion of your own. :wink:

I'm not biased in any way..... apart from towards europe, foreigners in general, murderers and politicians..... oh, and long term benefits scroungers.

Other than that I am a perfectly amiable kind of guy!! :D

Point being Asp, your sources are no better than the ones you call, you call them because you do not agree with them, that's it!!, you search out blogs to confirm your beliefs, not ones the question them. Your sources are just as unreliable and in some cases more so as they are blogs.

At least the BBC have a procedure and a board of governors that are supposed to keep it independent , how many of your blogs can same the same, I suspect none, :wink:

Just because you do not like what you hear it does not make it wrong!!!

Looks like Sky are now in trouble for hacking now.

No media is perfect but some are better than others :wink:

There you go again Lt Kije, making assumptions about what I read and what I don't. You have absolutely no idea what I base my opinions on but that doesn't stop you telling me I'm wrong.

You say "Just because you do not like what you hear it does not make it wrong!!!"

Well how about heeding your own advice, because you are very quick to decry any opinion that does not match your own prejudices. Pot calling the kettle black? :wink:

So you are saying that everything I read is wrong and only the BBC is right? You are even more deluded than I thought. You don't know what I read, what I watch, what I agree with and what I don't. In fact all you know is what you want to think you know about me. I think your crystal ball needs a good polish.

As for the BBC "safeguards", they seem to consist of having an agreed position on major issues and giving minimal airtime to anyone who doesn't subscribe to that position. For example their position on climate change. Any opinion that doesn't meet with the BBC approval is, by the BBC's own policy, given less weight than the AGW view. Similarly with the EU, the Palestinians/Israel, Obama etc etc.

I think you're the one who needs to expand your worldview instead of decrying anyone whose opinion doesn't match yours. :wink:

See you have proved my point, because you don't agree, they are wrong, You want a news media that agrees with you not one that tells the news. I don't find the BBC pro European, I do find alot of the press against Europe. All we hear in the press is anti European stories, you cannot have everything. On the Palastinians I don't think the BBC gives enough time to their plight. On America I agree with you, America can do no wrong, but you could say that about ALL British media.

Did I say I thought the BBC was pro-EU? Or say what I thought their stance on Israel/Palestinians or Obama was? You've just decided what you think my opinion is and taken it from there.

But all this is just YOUR opinion. So I'm afraid that we will have to agree to differ and I will leave you with your head in the sand :wink:

You have told people your stance on Isreal on previous threads along with America Asp, :wink:

Getting back your media sources are no better than the BBC, and could well be worse, the BBC does have mechanisms to keep it independent and out of government control, many media sources don't have.