We are all about to be watched

Lt Kije

Indeed, Cleo.

For clarification:

Internet service providers are obliged to keep details of users' web access, email and internet phone calls for 12 months, under an EU directive from 2009.

The proposed new law - which the Home Office says will be brought in "as soon as parliamentary time allows" - would extend those requirements to social networking sites and internet phone services such as Skype.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17595209

I can't tell the difference between this lot and the old New Labour.

I can't really see what the problem is as they've been tracking and monitoring phone calls and other stuff for years anyway and like fugs says internet providers have to keep records of what we all do and look at for 12 months anyway so unless you have something to hide and are a baddie then so what it wont really affect people (other than on the human rights front of course).

I guess terrorists, criminals and the likes will soon just find new ways of communicating though safe in the knowledge that the gov are spending all their time and money reading and trying to decipher all the normal people's (often crap and nonsense) 'non important' texts, messages, pokes, tweets, emails and other forms of communication.

I'd like to think that monitoring will result in them catching crooks or terrorists but now it's out on the open those with something to hide will be one step ahead now the government bods have come clean about their plans :blink:

I may as well talk to the wall :roll: :roll:

Each to their own Aps :wink:

Talking to it is ok... but it's when you find yourself constantly hitting your head against it that your problems really start.

PS.... sooner or later the government will find a way of monitoring that too and you will get done for vandalism or put in a straight jacket :lol::roll::P

Yes of course you are right Lt Kije, and Gordon Brown didn't sign the Lisbon Treaty (have you read the Lisbon Treaty by the way? If you have you are unique because none of our so called leaders have :roll: ). The whole thing is a right wing conspiracy by Rupert Murdoch and Margaret Thatcher designed to undermine the peace loving and wholly democratic European Union. The fact that the legislation I gave you the link to is headed "EC Directive" is obviously just a smokescreen. The EU has absolutely no influence at all in the way this country is governed. Our coastal waters aren't full of French, Dutch, Portugese and Spanish trawlers, while British fishermen are restricted to a few days a week in their home waters.

Lt Kije you are living in a dreamworld if you believe that our government is anything but a rubber stamp for legislation put in place by the EUSSR. We may as well scrap Parliament now and turn the place into flats for immigrants. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Actually, what the politicians are proposing is not that much different to what they got so worked up about when it was done by the News of the World.

I personally see nothing wrong in the media using new technology to expose wrongdoing by those in power. That is part of their function.

Similarly, I see nothing wrong in the authorities using new technology to track down criminals, etc.

The problem comes when someone goes beyond this - in the case of the News of the World by hacking into innocent people's phones, or in the case of the authorites when they spy on, say legitimate people who simply disagree with them politically. Which would encompass just everyone on this site at some time or other :P

• Upvote 1

Obs, the people you would vote for would never get a majority, and if they did get office as they did in Germany they would turn it he UK into a dictatorship as they did in Germany :wink:

don't you mean Brussels?? :D