Stockton Heath Mill, Acker's Lane

Tracey Bennett

I'm hoping that after all the Thomas Leigh/Leigh Villas excitement, you lovely people can help me once again with putting some flesh on the bones of my family tree.

One of my ancestors, Joseph Blinstone occupied the Corn Mill on Mill Lane in Stockton Heath. I'm not sure when he moved in but he's there on the 1841 Census and on the 1847 Tithemap. He died in 1855 and then his son, also called Joseph Blinstone, took over and appears there on the Census in 1861 and 1871.

However, Joseph Jnr then moves to 'Blinstone's Mill, Grappenhall Road, Appleton' in 1881 but by 1891 his address is recorded as 'On Canal Bank, Latchford' but his occupation is still Corn Miller. I presume he's not using a quern stone on the towpath and has an actual Mill somewhere, or maybe he's started commuting to work or something.

I wondered if a) anyone knows of any photos of the Stockton Heath/Acker's Lane Mill and B) if anyone can shed any light on the other 2 addresses and can suggest where the Mill(s) might be.

Thank you :)

No probs and I've just deleted it for you Tracey :wink:

But DOUBLE BLIMEY... :shock::unsure:

I've spoken about this ancestor of yours before on here too (ie Joseph Blinstone and the Corn/Flour Mill). It's getting a bit spooky now.

Not exactly the info you are probably searching for but you may find it interesting and useful. I was interested it was the field right near to where I grew up and where I spent many a happy day playing although I never found a photo of the actual mill etc.

Algy and I both have some of the 'Mill pond' or 'Stockton Heath Lake' though as it was often referred too. I'll try and upload a couple in a while.

Anyway have a read of this thread Starts around the bottom of page 1 (date 13 April 2011) and as with most toics on here it started off on one subject then widend.

http://forum.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/index.php?/topic/6380-old-photos-of-warrington-stockton-heath-1/

I'll do some more digging when I have time but got a busy week this week so not much time for fun stuff :(

Still blummin spooky though :unsure:

I'm sure Algy (our wonderful forum expert on local history) will come up trumps and beat me to it..... aint that right Algy me awd chum :wink:

No probs and I've just deleted it for you Tracey :wink:

But DOUBLE BLIMEY... :shock::unsure:

I've spoken about this ancestor of yours before on here too (ie Joseph Blinstone and the Corn/Flour Mill). It's getting a bit spooky now.

Not exactly the info you are probably searching for but you may find it interesting and useful. I was interested it was the field right near to where I grew up and where I spent many a happy day playing although I never found a photo of the actual mill etc.

Algy and I both have some of the 'Mill pond' or 'Stockton Heath Lake' though as it was often referred too. I'll try and upload a couple in a while.

Anyway have a read of this thread Starts around the bottom of page 1 (date 13 April 2011) and as with most toics on here it started off on one subject then widend.

http://forum.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/index.php?/topic/6380-old-photos-of-warrington-stockton-heath-1/

I'll do some more digging when I have time but got a busy week this week so not much time for fun stuff :(

Still blummin spooky though :unsure:

I'm sure Algy (our wonderful forum expert on local history) will come up trumps and beat me to it..... aint that right Algy me awd chum :wink:

Tracy, I'm up to the eyes in sorting out after decorating so I shall sort a couple of old maps of the area and search for photos in the morning, hopefully have something for you then.

Oh my goodenss! Dizzy, this is why you hit a brick wall with your family research, you've been doing mine instead! Joseph isn't such a direct ancestor, he's my 1st cousin 6 times removed on my Mum's side, Thomas Leigh is on my Dad's. Interestingly though, Joseph's sister Sarah married Richard Bennett, my 5th Great Grand Uncle on my Dad's side (with me so far?!) so my Mum and Dad weren't the first time the two families had married. I've settled into Norfolk very well so far (counts thumbs)

Most of my ancestors on both sides are based over the whole Thelwall, Grappenhall, Daresbury, Walton, Stockton Heath, Lymm area so I guess if you grew up there and are interested in local history it's inevitable you'll come across my ancestors in one way or another.

Thank you both very much for your time on this, I do appreciate it. It'd be fascinating to actually see the Mill. I'm surprised it isn't better known. Whenever I've mentioned Stockton Heath Mill so far, everyone's looked a bit blank.

Thank you both very much for your time on this, I do appreciate it. It'd be fascinating to actually see the Mill. I'm surprised it isn't better known. Whenever I've mentioned Stockton Heath Mill so far, everyone's looked a bit blank.

Tracy I,m not sure the following photos will satisfy your curiosity as I have searched through and don't have any photos that I could specifically identify the Mill, however there are four that do show the area that the mill would have stood on, one of them being titled mill cottages, so here goes!.

StocktonHeathMillPoolCottages.jpg

Stockton Heath Lake (Latchford Mill Pond), the white 'Mill Pool' cottages on the side of the Mill Pond.

StocktonHeathLake2.jpg

Another view of the Mill pond & cottages.

StocktonHeathLake1.jpg

An early view, about 1894 of Stockton Heath taken from the top of Greenall's Brewery tower, the Manchester Ship Canal had just been built, with the Fairfield Road housing development begining. The white building top left of picture is Latchford Mill. Sorry it is a poor quality image but the only one I have showing the Mill.

StocktonHeathfromGreenallsBreweryTower.jpg

Map of 1875/77 - before the MSCanal

1877.jpg

Map of 1894 - MSCanal shown.

18962.jpg