Joey Dunn - Sacked?!

WireWarrior97

I've just heard off the players and a few other reliable sources from our league on Twitter that Joey Dunn has been sacked. Why!? We are still within a reasonable chance of getting the play-offs, if not this season everything seems to be in place for next season, it is ridiculous. And why do it now? It is not the top few divisions, you cannot go around sacking managers for the sake of it. Joey seemed to have everything sorted, the start to 2012 showed that, and we definitely had everything in place for next season. I really don't see where this gets us. Manager of the month last month, clearly knew what he was doing, I just don't see how we can replace him either.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I've just heard off the players and a few other reliable sources from our league on Twitter that Joey Dunn has been sacked. Why!? We are still within a reasonable chance of getting the play-offs, if not this season everything seems to be in place for next season, it is ridiculous. And why do it now? It is not the top few divisions, you cannot go around sacking managers for the sake of it. Joey seemed to have everything sorted, the start to 2012 showed that, and we definitely had everything in place for next season. I really don't see where this gets us. Manager of the month last month, clearly knew what he was doing, I just don't see how we can replace him either.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Didn't see that one coming ,seems a crazy decision really, why now still 7 games left and four points off the play offs not impossible to make the play offs Joey has done well really with the amount of players coming and going. I would think he was the main reason Mike Tomo came back, its not that we are fighting relegation, Whats going to happen for the rest of the season have we just written it off. Thanks for all you have done Joey and wish you all the best

• Upvote 1

Jeez - you guys have got short memories - take a look back at some of your negative comments throughout the season.

Some of you have been more negative than me! :roll:

In management you are only as good as your last game - and from all reports last Saturday at Clitheroe was Sunday league at its best! :unsure:

• Downvote 1

Yeah, and before this weekend, Joey had gotten manager of the month, he has built a squad good enough to challenge for promotion next season and unbeaten for the first 2 months of this year. I had no doubt that if he had stayed, we would have quickly hit another of the runs like we had a week or two ago.

Do you really think that after 2 bad games he should have been sacked? :unsure::roll:

I was talking to him and the players myself, no-one has a proper explanation. Surely that's the least we could get, after the service he has given the club as a player and a manager?

WireWarrior97

Posted Today, 10:54 PM

Yeah, and before this weekend, Joey had gotten manager of the month, he has built a squad good enough to challenge for promotion next season and unbeaten

Do you really think that after 2 bad games he should have been sacked? :unsure::roll:

As for the first comment, that is exactly what was thought 12 months ago.You cannot afford to keep saying that.

The second point, is not the losing, but the manner in which they lost.

How many of the squad have moved on this last 12 months? It's not all about money, I don't believe that. Analyse the situation. We never replaced Tommo, and never replaced Evo.

I liked Joey and Stu and am sad that they have gone. BUUT we have to progress, NOT stand still.

I wish Joey and Stu all the best for the future.

I just hope that River doesn't go as well.

I have to say i think this is a knee jerk reaction , Joey won manager of the month less than two weeks ago, the club is only 4 points off the playoffs, we now have a team without a manager. (no offence Toby).

Town have only lost two games in 2012 when was the last time town managed that.

I have said the club needs stability but the club seem to disagree with this i expect alot of players to leave and us to go through the turmoil of manager change that happens every time a manager leaves a non league club.

Good Luck Joey for you in the future. You have done an excellent job turning a relegation threatend team into playoff contenders in 3 years.

Who ever the new man is has a tough act to follow.

• Upvote 1

Look at the facts.

Joey's first season - stability and 9th

Joey's second season - promise of the promised land but finish 9th again.

Joey's third season - Tells everyone at end of season awards "This team is going to win the league!" Seven games to go 9th again.

That all stacks up to 999 - emergency!

Club lose leading goal scorer and club captain to rival club.

Won one of last four games.

The results in January and February papered over the cracks.

If you take all the above into account why the surprise?

i think we have improved dramatically in the last few years and yes maybe the position change ahs not shown that but i feel being in the position we were why sack him now if they were going to atleast for the sake of the team do it at the end of the season leaving us withoutn a manager at such a crucial stage in the season is just stupid joey has done so much for the club stu aswell players are bound to leave but we have a built a strong team looking forward in my opinion the board have made the wrong decision :/ good look to joey and stu bpth in future adventures whatever they go on to do, but why not make rick ward caretaker boss i feel he could do an adequate job til the end of the season.

after all we all know it is because joey has taken the england job its just not been released yet :P

• Upvote 1

I agree the end of the season was the time to reflect. If its true we were going to finish 9th again, then what will sacking him now achieve. Do we expect the new man to turn matters round and drive us into the playoffs and then prmotion in just 7 games? if so thats a tad optomistic if we are just a team that always finishes 9th.

My history with WTFC only goes back 5 or so years, but even I remember seeing WTFC battling relegation.

I propose Mike Tomo as player manager for the run in and review again at the end of the season.

Capello / McCarthy / Bruce are all available I believe...

• Upvote 1

Look at the facts.

Joey's first season - stability and 9th

Joey's second season - promise of the promised land but finish 9th again.

Joey's third season - Tells everyone at end of season awards "This team is going to win the league!" Seven games to go 9th again.

That all stacks up to 999 - emergency!

Club lose leading goal scorer and club captain to rival club.

Won one of last four games.

The results in January and February papered over the cracks.

If you take all the above into account why the surprise?

Either you have been watching Town for just 10 minutes or you have a bad mermory,

Town have finished in the top half for just three seasons since we returned to the Unibond/Evo Stik league and guess which three years they were so as i can see that is progress compared to what we have.

This season was going top be tougher, however just 4 points off the playoffs i think is alot better than last year

Exactly tell me a manager at this level could do a better job with the players we have lost this season. Now that is not the managers choice, players in the non league move clubs for one reason and one reason only and thats money.

Joey has done a good job with a very young and inexperienced squad which with a few additions would be an excellent side. However every time he had a settled team one of the players would then be pinched by another club (usually skem).

He has had this throughout his time here. Sometimes i wonder wether at times we are punching well above are weight at this moment in time.

Like i have said good luck Joey you have done a good job at town and I for one will remember the special games at Northwich, Chester, Maccesfield and the home games against Lancaster and Chester some of the best battling displays i have seen watching town.

I will support whoever replaces Joey but he will be a tough act to follow.

• Upvote 1

I agree the end of the season was the time to reflect. If its true we were going to finish 9th again, then what will sacking him now achieve. Do we expect the new man to turn matters round and drive us into the playoffs and then prmotion in just 7 games? if so thats a tad optomistic if we are just a team that always finishes 9th.

How many times do you see the lift a new manager brings - Chelsea are a classic example - even Torres has started scoring goals!

How many times do you see the lift a new manager brings - Chelsea are a classic example - even Torres has started scoring goals!

How many times do you see it not though, QPR, Wolves and Aston Villa are classic examples.

It will be the same team, and i think the transfer window shuts next week.

• Upvote 1

Against Leicester and the first was a scuffed shot!! Strange how for the 24 playing hours previously he couldnt hit a barn door including against Napoli.

I concur with the latter view. I think you'll also find statistically sacking a manager has limited effect. i recall the FL doing some research on the same and that the difference was short lived and eventually made next to no difference. I'm sure the same is on the web somewhere.

There has been masssive improvements from last season. Amazing 12 game run only a fortnight ago for example. Got Manager of the Month last month and deserved it the month before too. Still in a strong enough position this season, and this will have just killed off momentum and any chance of going up this season. Why sack a manager in March when there is still a good chance of play-off positions if we can get results to go our way? This isn't top level football. Sacking the manager has ended our season before it was over.

Apparently the loss to Curzon wasn't that bad, we could have won it too. Poor performances against Clitheroe and Wakefield(?), I admit, but how much of that is his fault and how much is it due to players underestimating their opponents?

How many away games have you been to this season?

Face the facts one win in four and three years at 9th - time for change.

Now move on and get behind your team and the new manager when they are appointed.

Also WireWarrior (Salmon4England) take a look at all your negative posts about the club/team over the past year - not exactly an endorsement of the team or the management - in fact I wonder why you pose as a fan. :unsure:

Where is Pieman, Woody - he goes all the games and has followed the club through thick and thin - his silence speaks volumes!

Apparently the loss to Curzon wasn't that bad, we could have won it too. Poor performances against Clitheroe and Wakefield(?), I admit, but how much of that is his fault and how much is it due to players underestimating their opponents?

It doesn't matter what the players do or don't do, Joey was the Gaffer and he carries the can.

There is never a good time to sack a manager. Maybe, by doing it now, it gives time to sort the players out and see who "wants" to give their heart to WTFC, and get the team settled before the next season kicks off.

This club has to progress to bring in the fans and some money which will enable the club to get better players.

Being close to the play-offs isn't good enough. We should have been in the mix ages ago. Relying on other teams???? How daft is that? Does that mean that the clubs above have to stop trying so that Warrington can catch up? :roll:

I subscribe to the fat lady philosophy and her ability to sing.

I'd preferred he saw the seaon out and thereafter review. It may be close to the end of the season but it aint over and we have to play at least (need to check this point) two of those above us before the season is out.

But I reiterate, unless there is something we dont know??

Results invariably arent the be all and end all - see Leeds United, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday as recent examples of good results / positions not being enough. Is this a yorkshire trait? I digress but the point still stands.

In fact I wonder why you pose as a fan. :unsure:

I don't pose as a fan. I don't think that I would pay a fiver or so every fortnight if I wasn't a fan, would I?

Looking at your previous posts, it seems like you are the one posing as a fan, to be honest. Posting as early as you can after a Tuesday night game to criticise us for not talking about it for example?

And do Away games really make a difference on how much I am a fan or not? I cannot get to away games without the club running a coach, and even then I consider £10 (+ admission) to be too much to watch 90 minutes of football somewhere in Yorkshire or Durham.

Is one man bigger than any football club - no.

I think is time for true fans to move on and get behind the team.

Agreed. As much as I disagree and think it is the wrong decision, its probably best not moaning about it now as nothing can be done (unfortunately).

Whoever we manage to bring in has big boots to fill, and I doubt that in the long-term that they will be better than Joey, but we should probably just move on and hope that they do their best. :|

Best of luck to Joey, I hope that in a few years time he has proved everyone at the club wrong.

Anyway,

When is our next home game? When are season tickets available too? :)

How many away games have you been to this season?

Face the facts one win in four and three years at 9th - time for change.

Now move on and get behind your team and the new manager when they are appointed.

Also WireWarrior (Salmon4England) take a look at all your negative posts about the club/team over the past year - not exactly an endorsement of the team or the management - in fact I wonder why you pose as a fan. :unsure:

Where is Pieman, Woody - he goes all the games and has followed the club through thick and thin - his silence speaks volumes!

Change can be also worse, I think things were still improving at town the had just slowed slightly,

Look at a club like Aston Villa 6th three years on the run, changed there manager and they have been no where near since.

Its all in the past now anyhow, lets see what the new man does however i wonder if the club will be in the same position next year