Tom the song Jones

Cleopatra

Welsh warbler Tom Jones claims that Simon Cowell is not qualified to judge the singers on XFactor because he has never sung on stage himself.

Is he correct? IMO NO! I have never sung on stage myself but I can still tell the difference between a good singer and a bad one - and I have never thought Tom Jones was a good singer, just that he had a good agent, certainly I would never throw my knickers at him. :unsure::lol::lol::lol:

Welsh warbler Tom Jones claims that Simon Cowell is not qualified to judge the singers on XFactor because he has never sung on stage himself.

Is he correct? IMO NO! I have never sung on stage myself but I can still tell the difference between a good singer and a bad one - and I have never thought Tom Jones was a good singer, just that he had a good agent, certainly I would never throw my knickers at him. :unsure::lol::lol::lol:

P'raps as well, if they hit him he might suffocate! :wink::lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't dream of it my 'Little Desert Flower', anyway where have you been we've missed you!.:wink::D :grin:

:blink: Well I hadn't noticed any sign of that Algy.

But anyways, We were invited to a birthday dinner in Cairo by and for a business associate of my husband so we spent 10 days at our apartment there. A fruitful 10 days it proved to be too. Hamada met another business man there and to cut a long story short he made a splendid offer for Hamada's business and the deal is going through smoothly. Was a pleasant suprise when I found out he was retiring. I had been on at him for yonks to do so. Furthermore I bought myself a new laptop, a Toshiba Satellite. Very pleased with it. :D

:blink: Well I hadn't noticed any sign of that Algy.

But anyways, We were invited to a birthday dinner in Cairo by and for a business associate of my husband so we spent 10 days at our apartment there. A fruitful 10 days it proved to be too. Hamada met another business man there and to cut a long story short he made a splendid offer for Hamada's business and the deal is going through smoothly. Was a pleasant suprise when I found out he was retiring. I had been on at him for yonks to do so. Furthermore I bought myself a new laptop, a Toshiba Satellite. Very pleased with it. :D

Cleo, Good luck to you, your husband and family enjoy your well eared retirement. :)

• 7 months later...

When i saw the title of this topic I thought I was going have to educate some misguided soul about Tom Jones. Fortunately I see this is not the case - Cleo never thought he could sing.

She is quite right. I thought all Welshmen could sing until I heard Tom Jones.

Still, he has no doubt acquired a large fortune from the moronic masses who wouldn't know a crochet from a hatchet - just by shouting. Bit like the lass from Tiger Bay, Shirley Bassey, another Welsh person who let's the national side down a bit.

I wonder what our Cleo thinks about her namesake, Mrs Dankworth, who really can sing a bit?

I like/love only two songs by Cleo Laine - You'll Answer To Me & He Was Beautiful (Cavatina). Both beautiful songs which I can listen to over and again and at times can reduce me almost to tears.

I am not a jazz lover and as Cleo Laine was/is a jazz singer, I'm afraid I don't much care for any of her other work.

In fact, Cleo Laine herself does not accept that she is a jazz singer and she is probably right. I would describe her as a rather superior popular singer.

With training (which she admits she couldn't be bothered with) she could have been an opera singer.

Of course, whether she is or is not a jazz singer is irrelevant. The late Gil Evans (who most of you won't have even heard of) was asked if his music was jazz or classical and replied: "That's up to the marketing people."

Well I'm afraid that I have heard Cleo herself say that she sings jazz.

In 1983 she won a a grammy for best female JAZZ singer.

In 1991 she recorded a CD, JAZZ, on the RCA label.

By the late 1990's she was regarded as one of the top JAZZ vocalists of all time.

In 2008 she and Johnny won the Gold Award in the BBC JAZZ awards.

In 2010 she and Johnny had a CD released entitled JAZZ matters.

In the you tube video You'll Answer To Me is an illustration of the record cover - Shakespeare and all that JAZZ.

To me that makes her a jazz singer.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Cleo, it seems your namesake doesn't know her own mind because I also heard her say that she wasn't really a jazz singer, during a radio interview!

There can be little doubt that some of her output IS jazz, but also that some of her more popular hits, such as Cavatina or On a Clear Day are NOT jazz, although they may well be jazz influenced.

I have an album, The Great Jazz Singers, and one of her tracks is on it, Honeysuckle Rose, which of course is a song with a long jazz tradition. But it is not one of her best, nor one of the best on the album.

Anyway, for someone that doesn't like jazz and isn't that keen on Cleo Laine, you display a remarkable knowledge on both. Google, I suppose?

As to the various albums you mention, whether or not they are described as "jazz" is a matter for the marketing people. Jazz has never really been particularly popular and these days is very much a Cinderella music so the marketing people probably avoid it like the plague.

After the rock boom started, some rock-influenced jazz was marketed as "progressive" or "underground" or "jazz rock" or even "blues." At the end of the day, you buy what you like, whatever the description

Anyway, for someone that doesn't like jazz and isn't that keen on Cleo Laine, you display a remarkable knowledge on both. Google, I suppose?

Yes indeed, googled. Googled because I don't like her jazz singing so not fully aware of her jazz acheivements They were just a few. Pretty remarkable for a singer you say isn't a jazz singer. :wink: