The red house

pentone1

I spotted the Elms last night Algy on the 1896 map.......

'Y' Marks the place.... 'X' is obviously Hollyhedge Farm and the red house is/was just out of picture top right.

elms1896-1.jpg

Note the road name 'Roman Road'....... get digging Pantone1 as that road continued past yours but your stretch was Chester Road. :lol:

Re the Red House, the only maps it is actually named on are the 1965-67 and 1967-70 ones and between it and Hollyhedge Farm was Orchard Cottage. Does the latter still stand today?

Going from the changes on all the maps I've looked at it's my guess is that the Red House was built around 1910 (maybe a little earlier) and was named the 'Red House' somewhere between 1954 and 1965 possibly when it was first sold and had to be registered with land reg.

I could of course be completely wrong :blink:

I spotted the Elms last night Algy on the 1896 map.......

Note the road name 'Roman Road'....... get digging Pantone1 as that road continued past yours but your stretch was Chester Road. :lol:

Re the Red House, the only maps it is actually named on are the 1965-67 and 1967-70 ones and between it and Hollyhedge Farm was Orchard Cottage. Does the latter still stand today?

Going from the changes on all the maps I've looked at it's my guess is that the Red House was built around 1910 (maybe a little earlier) and was named the 'Red House' somewhere between 1954 and 1965 possibly when it was first sold and had to be registered with land reg.

I could of course be completely wrong :blink:

Thanks Dizz, that has made me feel a right numpty' I never thought of the Elms in Hobb lane, I was concentrating totally on the Walton village area, I do know the place quite well and did some work there as a lad, probably seeing it as Elms Hall it never clicked with me, Duuuuur! :oops:

I agree with you about the build date of 'The Red House'.

Welcome to Walton Pentone1. Only just picked up this topic and interested as a near neighbour from a couple of fields away - am a Waltonian born and bred but not quite the oldest round these parts - another neigbour is 92 and still has a good eye for shooting pheasants !! I suspect that your house was simply named from the red brick construction which is brighter than other properties in the area and would stand out in the area when first built - I would think around 1860/1880 - at that time it was almost certainly part of the Sir Richard Brooks estate from Norton and was known as the Acton Grange Estate because this was the Parish which was amalgamated with the two Waltons (Superior and Inferior which became Higher and Lower and now simply Walton). The Greenalls, who had come to Walton 1837ish added to their lands by purchasing the Acton Grange Estate from Brooks circa 1890 and also purchased part of Appleton from the Arley Estate of the Ashbrook family. Long time tenants of your house were a local character Harry Thorpe and his wife who were Greenall Estate retainers at Walton Hall and lived in Red House pre and post War2 until Harry's wife died and he moved back to his roots in Leicestershire where he had been on the Belvoir Estate (connected to the Greenalls by marriage - hence Belvoir Road Stockton Heath). Not sure whether Harry was involved on the gardening or game keeping side for Lord Daresbury. We were looking for our first house when it came up for auction around 1962 but it was out of our league at the time and was bought by a retirerd farmer from Bewsey area of town whose land was absorbed in New Town development.