Time to come home?

observer

We should stay and see it through.

To what outcome?

When the Afghan army takes over, it will be less than 6 months later that anarchy rules again and half of the soldiers are dead and chopped up by the talibanie crazys.....

There is no end game to this; The taliban fought off the might of the Russian army (who incidentally didn't follow the same moralistic codes that our armies have to follow, they just went in guns blazing and shot anything that moved.....) We cannot defeat an enemy that you can't see Kije.

Get out now and strengthen our homeland security. Boot out anyone who is of the slightest risk; and their families and boot them out to whatever country we can. Then, lock the door, build the carriers and go kick Argentinas ass again!

• Upvote 1

Sorry Kije, but you and your ilk don't live in the real world, but sleepwalk from one daydream to the next, while the real world slips from one crisis to the next. You havn't offered one cogent arguement in support of keeping our troops in Afghanistan. :roll:

Obs according to you, anyone that disagrees with you does not have an agreement, you use your usual tactic and insult them. We should stay and see the job we went to do, or wait till the Afgan army stands a chance on its own.

It will never happen. The regime is full of Taliban waiting for our troops to leave and then they will take over AGAIN. How can you eliminate them when the people support them? All that would be achieved if we stayed there, would be many more deaths and a lot of money that would be better off used at home.

• Upvote 1

A leaked NATO intelligence report suggests extensive penetration of the Afghan Police and Army by Taliban and their sympathisers. Several incidents have already occured of these "sleepers" breaking cover to assinate NATO soldiers and officials (last one was over the Quran burning incident). The general view of the population remains supportive of Islam and it's more archaic aspects (their current Parliament passed a law upholding rape within marriage), which means second rate citizenship and no education for females. It has to be hoped, for their sake, that the Taliban do take complete control when we leave; as the probability is one of tribal civil war and a return to War Lordism. So all in all, one hell of a mess. :roll:

These people have been fighting each other as tribes for centuries; and have tended to unite only to see off succesive foreign invaders. Like it or not, a majority see us as "foreign" occupiers. Divide and conquer won't work, as it will merely promote civil war when we do leave. Much better to accept the strongest faction take over and provide an element of stability, however anachronistic. Which basically would take us right back to the situation that applied prior to our intervention. The lesson is: to fight terrorism, requires the application of joint international intelligence, with surgical strikes on identified targets by drones, air stikes, special force raids or (at home) Police raids. The deployment of large numbers of conventional static occupation forces in any failed State, invites attrition and heavy casualties. The lesson for preventative action upstream is: that we pursue policies of secularisation at home, particularly in education, and insist on the assimilation of cultures into the main stream, rather than promoting overt "diversity" and seperate parallel development, as advocated by the liberal luvvies for the past 30 years. :angry:

Harry and Kije, you are totally and absolutely wrong. Cameron should accept that he is on a loser and cut his losses, poor analogy I know, and get the hell out of the place.

Joining the armed forces is now akin to playing a game of Russian Roulette to allow political gobbins save face.

Harry when we eventually pull out, with your approval, how many "deaths in vain" will you find acceptable?

All very emotive Eagle. War is war. As I fought in Korea, we questioned what we were doing there. Twenty eight of us never came back. and in that we were lucky? Joining the armed services has always been playing Russian Roulette.

For good or ill, we are on a crusade - as we see it. To me, seeing it through is the only real option.

Happy days

I agree with you Harry.

Eagle to answer your question, I suggest you see the reasons for ging in. I think we should be careful, yes the subject should be discussed but we have to be careful not to undermine moral of our troops who are over their, as happened to the Americans in Vietnam.

I agree with you Harry.

Eagle to answer your question, I suggest you see the reasons for ging in. I think we should be careful, yes the subject should be discussed but we have to be careful not to undermine moral of our troops who are over their, as happened to the Americans in Vietnam.

As Lt says, a very emotive subject and there are relatives in the Warrington area who have already lost there lads in this conflict as well as others who have lads over there and who possibly read the content of WW, perhaps it's time to put this one to bed!, otherwise it just becomes a pointless squabbling fiasco.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, it's folk like you Kije, that put our young soldiers into harm's way in the first place, on the basis of naive myopic reasoning. Aside from genacide, corporate manslaughter could be added to the charges against politicians who have thrown away the lives of our young folk on these ill judged adventures. :angry:

Unfortunately, it's folk like you Kije, that put our young soldiers into harm's way in the first place, on the basis of naive myopic reasoning. Aside from genacide, corporate manslaughter could be added to the charges against politicians who have thrown away the lives of our young folk on these ill judged adventures. :angry:

I think that is 'over the top' obs, if in some way Lt could be identified, some idiot could take your remark literally and set out to do Lt some harm!, bit naughty that!. :unsure:

• Upvote 1