Tine to have an ENGLISH anthem...

Nick Tessla

...instead of God Save Our Queen (no this isn't a monarchy/republic issue, honest)

Has been raised elsewhere previously and seems particuarly relevant to sports occassions , (e.g. the six nations) where the English competitors have to make do with the UK anthem when the other british teams have their own ditties.

Jerusalem is sometimes suggested (always amuses me the WI singing a song about armed rebellion :shock::) ). I find I vow to thee my country stirring.

It should be I Vow To Thee My Country. As you, say it is stirring.

Jerusalem? I don't understand people wanting that as a national anthem. It is, after all, Britain not Jerusalem. Might just as well have Advance Australia Fair or O Canada, at least they are in the commonwealth.

Certainly it should be changed from God Save The Queen/King. It is an anthem to one person rather than the country as a whole - including Scotland. :unsure::blink::D

It should be I Vow To Thee My Country. As you, say it is stirring.

Jerusalem? I don't understand people wanting that as a national anthem. It is, after all, Britain not Jerusalem.

I believe "Jerusalem" is a metaphor for heaven not a reference to the place.

I hope Queen Lizzie isn't reading but I think our 'God Save the Queen' National Anthem is soooo boring. Infact it's one of very few tunes that actually makes me switch of and start to snore. Even when people sing it they look bored stiff and totally zombi like. Perhaps they could pimp it to liven it up a bit.

I wonder if this is true........

I hope Queen Lizzie isn't reading but I think our 'God Save the Queen' National Anthem is soooo boring. Infact it's one of very few tunes that actually makes me switch of and start to snore. Even when people sing it they look bored stiff and totally zombi like. Perhaps they could pimp it to liven it up a bit.

I wonder if this is true........

You should have seen how quick it used to empty picture houses & theatres...the National Anthem would ensure a speedy exit in any evacuation situation.

Algy... just you wait!!!!

If ever I do happen to get the chance to meet you I definatly will slap you :evil::lol:

It has taken me months to get that bloody tune out of my head after last time and now it's back again full force.

You can forget me ever looking up census records for you now and by the way I have all the St Thomas's Church records too from 1839 (they are not available one line either) so don't bother ever asking me if any were from Moore or died of smallpox etc as all I will say is .....

"Lifes a piece of **** when you look at it.. but 'always look on the ........be doo be doo be dooo"

AARGH :huh::shock::lol::P

Algy... just you wait!!!!

If ever I do happen to get the chance to meet you I definatly will slap you :evil::lol:

It has taken me months to get that bloody tune out of my head after last time and now it's back again full force.

You can forget me ever looking up census records for you now and by the way I have all the St Thomas's Church records too from 1839 (they are not available one line either) so don't bother ever asking me if any were from Moore or died of smallpox etc as all I will say is .....

"Lifes a piece of **** when you look at it.. but 'always look on the ........be doo be doo be dooo"

AARGH :huh::shock::lol::P

Who loves ya' Babe!. :wink::D :grin:

I refuse to click.... no point anyway as it's already going round and round in my head and the two are now alternating.

Algy... this are for you..smiley-angry009.gifsmiley-angry015.gif

:P

Dizz, have you altered the number of revolutions that your "Dizzy" disc on your avatar revolves, it's only doing 3 whereas I'm sure it did 4 before. :unsure:

Anyway back to topic eh..... what was the question again ?

Ahh yes.... English sports bods etc having to out up with the dreary 'God save the queen' anthem.

Russia has a good anthem and I rather like this version at what I think was an opening games ceremony

but I really like this version of theirs ... it's a right foot tapper

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, Jerusalem is neither about armed rebellion nor heaven. Nor is is called Jerusalem.

It's the preface to a much larger poem by William Blake called Milton. Blake did write a poem called Jerusalem, but that's something else entirely.

With Parry's music it became a hymn and was titled Jerusalem, with no input from Blake himself. And as for what it's about, that would involve an in-depth study of Blake's ideas. Suffice to say he was highly critical of established religion and would pretty definitely not be very impressed with his work being an established church hymn. His religion was the Imagination, which needs to be glossed with the meaning of Imagination in the Romantic movement generally, with specific provisos about Blake's own highly individual interpretations.

To try to demystify that, imagine if one of the poems spoken by the Sorting Hat in the Harry Potter books was to be taken out of context and regarded as a self-sufficient piece of writing unrelated to the books it occurs in, and was then set to music and sung in churches as a hymn. It's a bit like that. Blake's writing belongs in a specific context, which appears to have been forgotten.

Anyway, after that detour, back to the main subject....

As a war-time oldie I always loved was "there'll always be an England". and England shall be free, if England means as much to you, as England means to me.

School wooden floors used to resonate to the impact of stamping feet. Suffice to say, during the hostilities, the words meant something. We really were 'all in it together'

Sorry to be serious.

Happy days