POUCH & HOOK FARM

Pedro

Circa 1930 a Thomas Garnett was an agent for Fordson Tractors in Stockton Heath (well he had a SH tel number) and was believed to have been son of a Grappenhall farmer from POUCH & HOOK FARM. Anyone out there who can shed any light on Thomas or the unusual farm name or location which I cannot find on any early 20th C maps ??.

Circa 1930 a Thomas Garnett was an agent for Fordson Tractors in Stockton Heath (well he had a SH tel number) and was believed to have been son of a Grappenhall farmer from POUCH & HOOK FARM. Anyone out there who can shed any light on Thomas or the unusual farm name or location which I cannot find on any early 20th C maps ??.

Pedro, sorry I can't help you with Thomas Garnett 1930, but I can tell you where Pouch & Hook Farm (Pichael Nook Farm Grappenhall) was and who resided there in 1881 :-

Thomas GARNETT

Head U Male 60 Grappenhall, Cheshire, England Farmer 20 Acres Employing (2 Men)

William GARNETT

Brother U Male 49 Grappenhall, Cheshire, England Labourer Domestic Ag

Lab

James GARNETT

Brother U Male 44 Grappenhall, Cheshire, England Labourer Domestic Ag Lab

Emma DICKENSON

Servant U Female 30 Culcheth, Lancashire, England Servant Domestic

Patrick DONLAN

Labourer U Male 30 Galway Co, Ireland Farm Labourer

Martin DONLAN

Labourer U Male 22 Galway Co, Ireland Farm Labourer

Source Information:

Dwelling Poachey Nook

Census Place Grappenhall, Cheshire, England

The name of the farm has altered over the years, it's correct name being, Pichael Nook Farm Grappenhall, but with parish boundary changes the area concerned is now in Latchford, the two maps below show where the farm was in 1872 and the modern map showing where it would have been indicated by the red X over Pichael Nook to the east of Kingsway. Looks as if the farm stayed with the Garnett family for many years.

Hope this helps,

algy.

PichaelNookFarm1872.jpg

PichaelNookAvenue2012.jpg

Thanks Algy - sice starting the topic I have referred to my 1901 Kelly's Directory and in the Grappenhall section the farmers include Thomas and William Garnett at POACHERS NOOK FARM - as you say, the Garnetts farmed in the area for many years - members of my own family have farmed in Acton Grange/Higher Walton/Moore since moving from Appleton 1908. Father's first tractor was a green Fordson circa 1940 but he never learned to drive !!

Does this help at all? I think this could be the Thomas you are looking as the Thomas on Algys list would obviously have been 109 years old by 1930. This Thomas has a father called James b1836 who is the brother of William Garnett b1830. William b1830 is shown as being single and a Farmer on the 1891 census and the head of house - Cross Lane, Grappenhall. His brother James, wife Ann & son Thomas were at the same house on census night. in 1891

on the 1901 Census

The address is transcribed as Pichaels North Farm, but just be an error probably as it looks a bit like Nook on the original.

Address: - Pichaels North Farm, Grappenhall County: Cheshire

GARNETT, James - Head - Married - age 65 - born 1836 - occupation Farmer - born Grappenhall

GARNETT, Annie - Wife - 36 - 1865 - born Newton Lancashire

GARNETT, Thomas - Son - age 10 - 1891 - born Grappenhall Cheshire

GARNETT, William E - Son - age 8 - 1893 - born Grappenhall

GARNETT, Ellen - Daughter - age 4 - 1897 - born Grappenhall

JEFFS, Ann - Sister-In-Law - Single - age 26 - 1875 - occupation Acts As General Servant (Domc)- born Grappenhall

on the 1911 Census

Address - Pouch and Hook Farm Grappenhall Cheshire (ps it definately says Pouch and Hook on the orig and also on the covering page)

GARNETT, James - Head - age 77 - born 1834 - occupation Farmer - born Grappenhall

GARNETT, Annie - Wife Married for 21 years - age 46 -born 1865 in Lancs Newton

GARNETT, Thomas - Son- Single -age 20 - born 1891 - occupation Farmers Son Working On Farm - born Grappenhall

GARNETT, William Edward - Son Single - age 18 - born 1893 - occupation Farmers Son Working On Farm

GARNETT, Ellen - Daughter - age 14 = born 1897 - at School - born Grappenhall

Thanks Algy - sice starting the topic I have referred to my 1901 Kelly's Directory and in the Grappenhall section the farmers include Thomas and William Garnett at POACHERS NOOK FARM - as you say, the Garnetts farmed in the area for many years - members of my own family have farmed in Acton Grange/Higher Walton/Moore since moving from Appleton 1908. Father's first tractor was a green Fordson circa 1940 but he never learned to drive !!

They are still there in Kelly's 1914 Directory, no sign of them at Poachers Nook (Pichael Nook) in Kelly's 1939 though, although there is a Thomas Garnett at Manor Farm, Grappenhall so possibly moved there from Pichael Nook when the land was taken to build the council estate at Kingsway.

Back in the 1950's I probably repaired farm machinery on your farm as I worked at Colin Dales Smithy at Daresbury. :unsure:

Thanks Dizzy/Algy for further info - looks like Thomas, born 1891, became the Fordson Tractor agent. All I know so far is that there is an old piece of wood in a garden in Padgate, with name Tom Garnett, Fordson Agent and a Stockton Heath Tel Number - maybe Tom was ancestor of someone living there - the plot thickens !! Algy, I recall from a previous post you taking down and painting Colin Dale's 'Alice' weather vane - was pleased he put N and S correct way round (pointing outwards as on Lords and Old Bailey)- guess half the weather vanes in existance have N or S or both pointing inwards - you can't go wrong with W but sometimes E is wrong way round too. Have a feeling I will be challenged on this one - perhaps we should have a separate topic ? Guess you were working at the Smithy when we took 56s and other weights to be checked in the old court building in the 50s - after Daresbury Petty Sessions had moved to Stockton Heath.

Thanks Dizzy/Algy for further info - looks like Thomas, born 1891, became the Fordson Tractor agent. All I know so far is that there is an old piece of wood in a garden in Padgate, with name Tom Garnett, Fordson Agent and a Stockton Heath Tel Number - maybe Tom was ancestor of someone living there - the plot thickens !! Algy, I recall from a previous post you taking down and painting Colin Dale's 'Alice' weather vane - was pleased he put N and S correct way round (pointing outwards as on Lords and Old Bailey)- guess half the weather vanes in existance have N or S or both pointing inwards - you can't go wrong with W but sometimes E is wrong way round too. Have a feeling I will be challenged on this one - perhaps we should have a separate topic ? Guess you were working at the Smithy when we took 56s and other weights to be checked in the old court building in the 50s - after Daresbury Petty Sessions had moved to Stockton Heath.

I certainly wouldn't challenge you on that one Pedro as I was not aware of that detail, I have a weather vane that I made many years ago and shall now have to go and check to see if it is correct, if not, down it comes to be put right!. :unsure: