Falling on deaf ears?

Adam

I see an organisation called Deafness Research is recommending concert goers should wear earplugs to protect their hearing.

They say: "Our advice to concert goers is to take responsibility for your own health and safety by taking ear plugs. They are cheap, widely available and will enable you to enjoy the music while muting the noise level without distorting the quality.

"It is impossible to set a noise level that’s safe for all. A level of 80dBA may be tolerated for 8 hours or so, as long as the ears are given time to recover. When combined with ear plugs that reduce the volume level between 15 and 35 decibels, everyone should be able to enjoy the summer concerts safely."

What do posters think? Would YOU wear earplugs at a concert?

I work with heavy machinery and wear ear plugs regularly. I also find them useful at night time to drown out noise from inconsiderate neighbours.

I have not been to a concert for years but the last one I went to was Cream fields in the early 2000's and they were giving them out there. I declined but now I would probably take them up.

I have seen and heard of several people in my profession going deaf later in life so I take looking after my hearing seriously.

I have worn ear plugs to concerts before and I do know quite a few people who do too. Some of them work in the music industry so are fully aware of the damage that can be caused by loud music/noise. Some of my friends just wear them to protect themselves. I think that people avoid them as they are considered to be 'uncool' or they think that they won’t be able to hear the music at all. I think they are a good thing or maybe I am just getting old :blink:

I can see this post setting Adam up for another debate about 'good' music :wink::rolleyes:

Rather than ear plugs, why don't they just turn the volume down? :unsure: :unsure:

Because they might hear what a noise they are making.

Must admit in my younger days (and yes they did have records) I always had the bass turned up as it seem to have a good affect on my hearing. Probably making me deaf as well.

Along with everything else when you are young, the information is not pushed about the side affects that catch up with you later in life.

I work with heavy machinery and wear ear plugs regularly. I also find them useful at night time to drown out noise from inconsiderate neighbours.

I have not been to a concert for years but the last one I went to was Cream fields in the early 2000's and they were giving them out there. I declined but now I would probably take them up.

I have seen and heard of several people in my profession going deaf later in life so I take looking after my hearing seriously.

Can you speak up please, I can't hear you. :blink::D :grin:

No Sadako, I have given up all hope of ever having a sensible debate about good music on this forum.

I was merely thinking of agreeing wholeheartedly with Wolfie on this particular issue.

Why do concert organisers, from the biggest mega-concert to the smallest disco, apparently seem unaware that they have the volume turned up too high?

No Sadako, I have given up all hope of ever having a sensible debate about good music on this forum.

I was merely thinking of agreeing wholeheartedly with Wolfie on this particular issue.

Why do concert organisers, from the biggest mega-concert to the smallest disco, apparently seem unaware that they have the volume turned up too high?

Do I hear the sound of tearing material?. :wink::D :grin:

Why are concerts so loud?....

1. So that the people at the back can hear, especially in huge Arenas.

2. Loud music releases endorphins.

3. So an artist can connect with the audience.

4. So the artist can cover up how bad they actually sound.

5. For the atmosphere?

6. Because they can?

7. To increase ear plug sales?

...I don't know the answer. Here is a journal article that will answer all of your questions Adam

What are the benefits of loud music

As the saying goes "If it's too loud, then your too old". :rolleyes:

Many thanks for that Sadako, although if you think I have the time to read and inwardly digest the information in the link, I am afraid you are wrong. In any case, your own seven suggestions made a lot more sense, particularly the fourth one!

As to the "if its too loud you are too old" expression, I may be too old now, but I wasn't in the Fifties when I went to quite a lot of concerts. The Count Basie big band in full throttle at the old Free Trade Hall in Manchester, was pretty loud, without a single instrument in the band being amplified.

But the best concert I ever went to was by the Gerry Mulligan Quartet, also at the Free Trade Hall. This group consisted of baritone sax, trombone, string bass and drums. They would not use microphones, even for the announcements between numbers, because, as Mulligan put it, "microphones distort sound."

He also complimented Manchester for the Free Trade Hall which, he said, had some of the best acoustics he had come across all over the world. He was right, of course, with proper acoustics you don't need amplification. But today's Arenas are just thrown up to get the maximum number of people in them, with no thought to acoustics.

Many thanks for that Sadako, although if you think I have the time to read and inwardly digest the information in the link, I am afraid you are wrong.

:unsure: Do you have a short attention span Adam as it didn't take me long to read it and it was interesting.

Going back to your original post and question...

I don't see how people could go to concerts and wear earplugs because they mute and distort the sound so you wouldn't be hearing the quality of sound and music you had paid to hear (of course I exclude the 'boom boom bass' type music that some youngsters like these days as a boom is still a boom even if you wear earplugs or have your fingers in your ears :huh:)

I love nothing more than to turn my favourite music up really loud when my family and neighbours are out and it gives me a sudden burst of energy and makes me feel really happy. OK so it's nowhere near as loud as a concert but my house is not as big as the MEN either and there are no screaming fans to overpower...but it's still loud enough to give a buzz :oops:

I understand why that is though thanks to Sadako's link .... it's apparently increasing my endomorphines, activating the same brain regions as taking cocaine does and is also producing the same chemicals in my brain that someone diagnosed with schitzophrehia has. :unsure:

Oooh 'eck.... but luvin' it man :blink::lol:

Peter

Destroy what argument?

I asked a question - I didn't start an argument.

Dizzy

I am not suggesting people should wear earplugs at concerts. Music at home should be played at roughly the volume you would expect at a live concert, taking into account the size of the room you are listening in. Some music is loud naturally, other very soft and gentle.

But the guitar, even the plectrum guitar, is by nature a guiet instrument so why the rockers have to turn it up full blast I will never know. Other than to mask the fact that they are not very good guitarists perhaps?

But, Dizzy, if you really turn up the sound really loud at home, your neighbours are likely to go out even if they were in when you started!

Hey I never thought of that Adam.... I wonder if they will thank me for giving them the opportunity to have a few unplanned nights out :D

As for guitars.. I much prefer the sound of the unplugged acoustic (either with or without plectrum) although there are times when an electric wacked up sound really really good too and give me a buzz but ONLY if it is played well though like you say :wink:

We only have 8 guitars in the house now but it's the two acoustics that get the most use and only usually one at a time as I get told off for not keeping up (must be an age thing) :oops:

Music is just soooooooo good though.... regardless of whether you are crap at playing it or not or regardless of whether others like the same as you,

It's all a balance at the end of the day as long as you enjoy it and have fun then it's clearly doing it's job and works a treat :D

I'll listen out for the neighbours vacating their premises shortly (only kidding) :wink:

• Upvote 1

Indeed it can Peter but only if the fingers can keep up... if they can't it simply becomes the DuaLLing banjo vs guitar tune with quiet and somewhat annoying gaps in the middle :lol:

Arrgh it's already starting to go round and round in my head so when I can't sleep tonight and it drives me insane it's all your fault :lol::P

PS ... I think it maybe only has one 'L' but not to worry eh :lol: