CRB Checks

Dizzy

Can you get a CRB check yourself so that you have one should you need it or does an employer have to instigate it and do they keep it rather than you ?

I just looked online but it 'seems' to be the latter... if you then change jobs and/or work for someone else for a short time do you have to apply for another one through them ?

Only reason for asking is my lads trying to get some free work placements and I thought having a CRB check may help as obviously some companies go into areas where one would be needed but I don't think he can just get one himself :unsure:

Sorry if that doesn't make sense :oops:

http://www.personnelchecks.co.uk/faqs.htm#last

As an individual you only qualify for a Basic Disclosure. An individual basic disclosure is a security check (termed as a "criminal conviction certificate" in Part V of the Police Act 1997) and is the lowest level of disclosure and is available to anyone for any purpose, on payment of the appropriate fee. It contains details of convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 or state that there are no such convictions. This type of Disclosure is only issued to the applicant. It is not job-specific or job related and may be used more than once.

Cheers Wolfie :D

Although having seen how much the basic one is I don't think it's worth him having anyway and probably not relevant either. Was just a 'Dizzy' thought anyway but thanks again for that :wink:

Right over to plan 2 now ..... damn not got one :unsure::lol:

Get him to do voluntary work, I believe the check is then free.

Like what and where cos that's what he's sort of trying to do (unpaid work experience is voluntary I guess) but doing voluntary in a library or picking up litter rather than the field of work he hopes to get a job in seems a bit pointless :oops:<_<

Like what and where cos that's what he's sort of trying to do (unpaid work experience is voluntary I guess) but doing voluntary in a library or picking up litter rather than the field of work he hopes to get a job in seems a bit pointless :oops:<_<

Some of the benefits of voluntary work are

a chance to develop existing skills or to gain new ones

the experience of working in a different environment

the opportunity to learn more about yourself and your capabilities, and gain more self-confidence

the potential for relevant vocational training which could lead to a recognised qualification

the chance to develop your networking skills by making new friends and developing contacts

an insight into the work of a particular sector

the intrinsic satisfaction of contributing to something you feel is worthwhile and which will be valued

additional material for your CV and future job applications.

I do know that one of the places I used to work, when taking on new starters, were always impressed if the person had done some voluntary work.

Since the whole CRB thing was brought in specifically for reasons of child protection in the wake of the Soham murders, I really don't see why having a decades old conviction or caution - let's say for Drunk and Disorderly on a night out in town - when aged 18 makes one an unfit person to work with children when aged in one's 30's or 40's.

Especially since the vast majority of the child abuse they are trying to prevent takes place in a home environment and involves an abuser who is a family member or friend of the family, and so is completely unaffected by CRB or eCRB checks.

I really don't see why having a decades old conviction or caution - let's say for Drunk and Disorderly on a night out in town - when aged 18 makes one an unfit person to work with children when aged in one's 30's or 40's.

because there are people in their 30's and 40's who weren't convicted of being drunk and disorderly and so will get the job.... the moral of the tale; don't get arrested when you are young!

The Scout Association won't allow anyone with any sort of conviction - no matter what offence or how old - to become a Leader.

They claim that it's "an insurance thing" (ie. their premiums would go up if they started making judgement calls based on their knowledge of an individuals qualities, rather than just toe-ing the risk averse insurance company line)

I have a file full of CRB checks - none of them worth the paper they are printed on! You can go online and request various levels of check and, hopefully, get a valid certificate. The only problem is that they have a limited "shelf-life". I have had to get them for most of my paid and voluntary jobs, even though the government agreed in 1971 that I was a fit and proper person to be in charge of full classes of children and that still holds true today.

The whole scheme is just bureaucratic nonsense anyway - since it ignores the inconvenient truths that:-

1. the majority of child abuse is carried out by family members or friends of the family
  2. most child abusers have no previous criminal record - and so would pass a CRB, or even an enhanced CRB, check
  3. there is absolutely no evidence of any kind of link between having a criminal record and being a risk to children

More like having an MOT which checks that the ashtrays are empty and the radio works, and then declares the car to be safe on the roads!

about all they check on a 44 year old car Inky!!! (Oh, they check the brakes work.... well sort of anyway!!)