Time to ditch the ECHR?

observer

Not true Baz, The Germans invested heavenly in mining and they still are, not quite sure about steel but I presume they do as well.

Then why is it that only yesterday morning, Vince Cable said live on Sky News that the government could not help out the historic Twickenham film studios in London; which is facing closure.... it was against European Competition laws for the government to help out

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt has refused to step in saying that the government has no remit to intervene.

The Germans tend to buy their own products, not like us, the cheapest - this means home production is bolstered and so too exports. Thus where net exports exceed net imports, as a Country they are actually making a profit, rather than sinking into debt. They have had an obsession with balanced budgets, ever since the inflation nightmare of the 30s - unfortunately for them, their wealth is now having to be used to bail out less responsible Countries in the Euro-Zone. :wink:

Like you they like to blame their short comings on someone else :wink:

They say they can't help out because it is against EU competition rules..... are you saying they can?? Because if you know better, you had better get in touch with Twickenham Studios and let them know..... you can google the phone number!

but under European law; governments cannot financially help private companies in their own country. You should know, you love the organisation!!

Why do you think the government couldn't just give the contract for new trains to Bombardier the other year? No favouritism allowed in Europe!!

You know what they say about statistics lt Kije. Here are some more but showing GDP per capita putting the UK above France and Italy, but a long way behind Ireland. (however these are only up to 2010):

Eurostat

The point I'm trying to make is that the assertion that "this country has no manufacturing" is well wide of the mark. :wink: :wink:

The problem is that we are probably limited to the top end technology niche markets, similar to the Germans - until of course the Chinese catch up. Top end technology needs an highly educated and skilled workforce, and I'm not sure our dumbed down education system is producing it? Plus there's the question of our sales and reputation capability - I recall in the 70s seeing almost every car (certainly taxis) and trucks were German Mercs - a better quality vehicle or better organised sales infrastructure? And this despite the fact, that the Germans had driven their Panzers through most of these Countries in WW2! :wink:

And which particular manufacturing processes would you advocate Lt Kije? The Unions, not Maggie, killed off most of the loss making ones years ago. The ones that survive do so because they are able to in the modern world. The LAST thing they need is government interference. Don't forget that any investment from government (taxpayers money) is going to lead to government interference which is never usefull (history teaches us).

So come on Lt Kije give us the short list and we can send your suggestions to our MP to pass to Call me Dave. Anything for a laugh :D :grin:

Hey I agree with you on the power stations, but first we have to reverse the idiotic decision to rely on "renewables", get rid of the watermelons out of government and quickly develop a power strategy before the lights start going out. As for the steel industry, I'm afraid that it's too global now. China and India seem to have built up the infrastructure to undercut most of the rest of the world. Did you know that quarter of a million tonne superbulkers are now carrying iron ore from Brazil to China? Economies of scale again. The world is getting smaller and we will have to get used to it NOW! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ok Asp, as we are on the same page :D just enough of our steel industry, to keep us safe strategically speaking. I agree it is to late for are car industry. But We need some heavy industry because it does tend to be labour intensive and would keep tax payers in work. I had a holiday in India last year I could not believe until I saw it, the Chinese had bought up all of the Iron ore deposits round Goa, literally thousands of lorries taking it to the coast :shock: A twenty four hour operation.