Time to ditch the ECHR?

observer

With respect Baz I think you are missing the point, the French have signed up to the ECHR, why in their country have they no problems with it while in this country we have?

In fact most Countries do not seem to have the same problems as we do, the question should be why?, and what are we doing wrong?

With respect Baz I think you are missing the point, the French have signed up to the ECHR, why in their country have they no problems with it while in this country we have?

In fact most Countries do not seem to have the same problems as we do, the question should be why?, and what are we doing wrong?

Over here, they read the small print and doff their caps. In Europe they interpret things that best suit their country and their "people".

The ECHR was Churchill's brainchild, created to prevent a repetition of the holocaust etc; unfortunately now drifted into abuse by the likes of Abu Qatada and illegal immigrants in the UK; and largely ignored by most of it's signatories (particularly Russia) whilst being complied with to the letter by the UK. Simple solution would be to revoke our membership of this Treaty and set up our own bill of rights, with the UK Supreme Court as the highest legal body to be complied with. :wink:

Obs, it is a complete lie when you say most ignore it, Russia does ignore some not all, don't forget I watched the program as well, stick to facts not propaganda.

The question is why does the UK seem to have more problems with the act then the rest of Europe, I think the problem lies within our own legal profession and not the act itself. As you pointed out the French had no problem getting rid of their unwanted, what has gone wrong here. It is easy to blame the act, in my opinion that's just taking the easy way out. What did the French do that we did not? And can we learn from the French?

Well, there's a classic example of your rose coloured glasses syndrome: "we both watched the same programme"; in which it stated quite clearly that many of the ECHR signatories are NOT complying with it's rulings, indeed there is a huge backlog of Russian cases, or did you have your cloth ears on for that one? :roll:

The cases in France, did not go anywhere near the ECHR Baz,

I got this from googling, As I did not no if they had, and choose this link deliberately

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2125286/As-France-summarily-kicks-extremists-Dave-learn-ruthless-savvy-Sarko.html

Like I said it not the act itself but how it is used in this Country, The French can do it why can't we.

They did not go near the ECHR Kije because the French did not let them..... the offending muslims were kicked out quicker than you could say "allahs snackbar"

If it had gone anywhere near the ECHR, they would have been safe in a flat in Paris plotting a terrorist attrocity no doubt.

This country has become weak thanks to the likes of the liberal classes that now run it.

Just when do you think we became weak Baz?

When the Common Market (which was a good idea) slowly evolved into the European Union/Federation and are successive Governments capitulated.

And by the way, if what you say is true about the 40's why did it take the Germans 60 odd years to invade this country????

In the late 40s Peter, We still had the empire attitude , but what was left of the Empire were preparing to leave. Winston was very big on Empire and wanted to keep it, but came under alot of pressure from the Americans during the War to let it go.

The Empire attitude being, We are Gods chosen ones, and altogether better than everyone else.

The Germans have not invaded this Country, but if you look at Germany their government has invested in heavy industry, they produce good engineers all thanks to their government investing in German companies, not like are own governments over the years who have sold off are industry, we under value engineers and would rather send kids to do Media studies.

Kije..... you puzzle me; you say that the British had the "we are better than everyone else or we are the best in the world" attitude...

What would you have us think, from a country which invented just about everything invented in the 1800's and the first hal of the 1900's?

Would you have us all say that we are crap? that the French are better than us? The Germans? The Turks?

Do you think that the Germans say things like "We are great.... but them British are a lot better than us"?

You really are a treacherous dog Kije..... In the 1940's you would have been interred and an outcast for doing your country down like that. If you don't like it, bugger off to Goa or Brussels..... both are third world in comparisson to this sceptered Isle!

government has invested in heavy industry, they produce good engineers all thanks to their government investing in German companies, not like are own governments over the years who have sold off are industry

Under EU rules and regulations, governments are not allowed to invest in any private companies Kije..... you should know that.

I do agree with your last bit about the likes of engineers being undervalued. We need mechanics, plumbers, electricians..... not university graduates by the bucketful.