A Primark kinda town - Warrington is

Nick Tessla

HoHoHo

And a bottle of rum?

Sorry, couldn't resist a tap-in there.

Peter - stagnation of wages is common sense?

So, that puts you still on £3 10/-6 a week 'cos you refused all those wage rises.

Oh, and who are these "loveys" [sic] of which you speak?

You have to stop looking at things through Western eyes. Especially in India where the class system makes ours look like nursery school.

Sorry, Peter, you've lost me there, you'll have to explain to me exactly what you think my "Western eyes", er, "see".

Class systems suck, wherever they are, but that's just my opinion.

In an idle moment yesterday, with all the Dickens' bi-centenary stuff, I started to wonder what he would have made of all this.

Then I stopped when I realised I had a pretty good idea of what he'd think, but he'd just be labelled as a wishy-washy sandal-shod lentil-knitting toga-wearing liberal luvvie with no idea about what life was like in the real world.

One of the greatest writers that ever lived, or just a pillock?

You decide.

I would have thought access to food is more of a problem in third world countries rather than the price, high or low.

The pictures you see in the media are from the outlying villages, where food and water is scarce. In the cities food is plentiful and water on tap, just unevenly distributed. That's a matter for the people themselves to sort out, nobody else can do it for them.