River Mersey New Cut

arty69uk

Yikes I don't want to fight.

I'm just obsessed with the old quay canal and lumb brook, having lived on top of one or the other all my life.

Kind regards

Gazza :)

Gazza, After looking at the first map ( 'X' marked in blue) and becoming totally disorientated (not unusual for me!) you are correct, the photo was taken from the opposite side of the canal from where I had placed the blue 'X', also I had indicated again incorrectly stated that the advertisement was on the gable end of Leigh Villas when it was actually on the gable end of the River view terraces, I have remarked the map and have replaced the original one that I displayed, thanks again Gazz for noticing and bringing it to my attention.

Unfortunately I am an amateur and unless the photos were titled when I obtained them the comments I make are purely my own. I am more than happy to listen to any positive comments and suggestions that help to establish the true time scale and location portrayed on the photos, to give an example in some of the earlier photos I have displayed on this series I made an error in calling King Edward VII, King Edward VI, :oops: I intend to go back to those images when I have the time and correct them, however to date no one has picked that up or if they have they have not yet identified the unintentional error. But Hey Ho! no one is perfect (other than Mrs algy who constantly reminds me of that fact). :wink:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Algy,

I have looked forward to your photo post for almost a year now, which I find absolutely fascinating no matter what the location or topic. I had never seen or heard of Thomas Paine let alone his bridge until you put pictures on the forum, when I saw the picture of the bridge I actually thought it was the bridge at Loushers Lane.

If you stand in a similar position left hand bank next to the Emerald take away looking towards Stockton Heath you can see St. Thomas’ church in an almost identical position, therefore I thought Dolland’s signage must have been on the gable of Emerald.

It was only when I realized that if you look at the four towers on the corners of the spire the larger of the towers (with the staircase to the top of the spire) and with the aid of your old maps did I realize that I was a mile out.

Best regards

Gazza

• 2 weeks later...

Algy,

I have looked forward to your photo post for almost a year now, which I find absolutely fascinating no matter what the location or topic. I had never seen or heard of Thomas Paine let alone his bridge until you put pictures on the forum, when I saw the picture of the bridge I actually thought it was the bridge at Loushers Lane.

If you stand in a similar position left hand bank next to the Emerald take away looking towards Stockton Heath you can see St. Thomas’ church in an almost identical position, therefore I thought Dolland’s signage must have been on the gable of Emerald.

It was only when I realized that if you look at the four towers on the corners of the spire the larger of the towers (with the staircase to the top of the spire) and with the aid of your old maps did I realize that I was a mile out.

Best regards

Gazza

Cheers! Gaz mate, I have only just read your reply.

Remember my overlayed map which shows the location of Leigh Villas and also the others .....

overlayedmaps-1.jpg

Well Algy, if you walk along the Ellesmere Road side looking across towards the development work tomorrow (and take your camera so you can click then zoom in later) you will see a load of bricks being unearthed which I recon were probably part of Leigh Villas (they are digging up the side of the canal bank now :? )

I suppose I could upload my pics but I recon you probably need some fresh air and would rather see for yourself :lol:

Remember my overlayed map which shows the location of Leigh Villas and also the others .....

overlayedmaps-1.jpg

Well Algy, if you walk along the Ellesmere Road side looking across towards the development work tomorrow (and take your camera so you can click then zoom in later) you will see a load of bricks being unearthed which I recon were probably part of Leigh Villas (they are digging up the side of the canal bank now :? )

I suppose I could upload my pics but I recon you probably need some fresh air and would rather see for yourself :lol:

Thanks Dizz, I shall try and tear myself away from my household duties and go have a look, think I shall have to change my forum name from 'algy' to 'Barney Rubble', mrs algy is convinced I have now completely lost the plot when I said that I was going to take photos of a pile of bricks, she couldn't believe last time why I was getting so excited after taking shots of cast iron pipes, however she did say if it makes me happy then she was happy to go along with it!. :wink::D :grin: