River Mersey New Cut

arty69uk

Dizz, The object of the exercise was to find out what the building was!.

Yes I realise that so no need to shout at me Algy :cry::cry::P:lol:

wasn't looking specifically for William Jeffs, I was just needing a name at that point in Chester Road hoping that once I had found someone in the 1881 census I could then scroll along the pages using the next or previous household button. I would have settled for 'Donald Duck. as long as he lived in Leigh Villas. In the Family Search 1881 it says he lives in Leigh Villas, Walton Inferior, Cheshire, England.

I get what you were doing now :oops: . Not may Chester Roads on the 1881 but loads on the 1871 :blink:

Do you happen to have a map that shows the area with the actual roads names on from the 18?? to 1881 as I can't find one anywhere or do you know where Chester Road actually started and finished as like I say there are loads on the 1871 but then they seem to disappear then come back :blink:

I;m tired can you tell :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Algy... soz I just noticed you have changed your earlier post and added some pics of Leigh Villa's and Tom P's Bridge. Any idea what year the LV's one is please?

Also Latchford History Group may know the answer as they have loads of photo's and info so maybe worth asking them. Yeah I know its not Latchford but they have loads of Stockton Heath etc too if I remember rightly from their open day :wink:

Whatever the damn building is it MUST be recorded somewhere cos if it was a business it would be listed and it it was a house we should be able to find it unless they were awkward buggers and pretended they were out everytime the sensus bods called. Bit like me and the Jehovas now :oops::blink:

Yes I realise that so no need to shout at me Algy :cry::cry::P:lol:

I get what you were doing now :oops: . Not may Chester Roads on the 1881 but loads on the 1871 :blink:

Do you happen to have a map that shows the area with the actual roads names on from the 18?? to 1881 as I can't find one anywhere or do you know where Chester Road actually started and finished as like I say there are loads on the 1871 but then they seem to disappear then come back :blink:

I;m tired can you tell :lol:

I'm not shouting at you Dizz, I'm only too pleased that your trying to help! anyway I was told that THIS IS SHOUTING on the internet,so how about if I whisper,unfortunately no I don't have any or access to any maps of that area with names on, that's what's 'bugging' me I don't know where 'New Road' starts and ends, Chester road ran from Wilderspool past the Stag and continues towards Chester the way it always did. have a look at the map below, I have an idea New Road is the lane cutting across the fields to Walton Villas and Rose Cottage.

ScreenShot002-1.jpg

AARGH :lol::lol:

*note census schedule is the route the enumerator walked on the day apparently

1861 Census by schedule number goes

1 -20 Northwich Road

21 - 28 Wilderspool

29 - 36 Northwich Road

37 - 68/69? Chester Road

70 London Bridge

74 - Birchdale

1871 census by schedule number goes

1 - 38 Northwich Road

39 - 75 Chester Road

76 - Northwich Road

81 - Birchdale

1881 census by schedule number goes

shite I've lost my 1881 bit of paper now :oops: but I think it started with Tower House, Walnut Tree House an Irish House and the Cliffe View which would be near the Stag maybe? and now I may just be imagining it... so ignore 1881 until tomorrw Algy... the other two are right though. Sorry

How did I find it... clearly I'm not old enough to have followed them with my camera and note book (although I do feel that old today) :lol:

I though you knew I had access to all the census records Algy as how else would I know all these useless facts about people, although I did wonder why you asked on rootschat for someone to find you a person living in Leigh Villas. I thought you had fallen out with me or something :lol:

I have full access to all the records on ancestry.co.uk and I also have full access to all the records on findmypast.co.uk (that expires in April eek). I have both as the latter is better when you don't know who you are looking for or are looking for marriages and parish records etc and for census returns you can search on street name or area eg Warrington/Lower Walton/occupation etc although sometimes you have to be a little clever as names/roads/areas etc are transcribed incorrectly or they are in the 'others'. FMP also has the full handwritten original returns for the 1911 census too which were filled in by the homeowner. I;ve got the one my great grandad wrote and it's nice to see his own writing.

It's a bit costly having two memberships but like I say one is better for some things and the other is better for others so the two work great alongside each other.

So.....back to our mission impossible...do you want the handwritten 1881 full census (or others) for Walton Superior/Inferior or elsewhere as I can download, save and email each page for you if it will help and keep you busy. You can then walk the walk too and maybe you will spot all the things I missed :wink:

So.....back to our mission impossible...do you want the handwritten 1881 full census (or others) for Walton Superior/Inferior or elsewhere as I can download, save and email each page for you if it will help and keep you busy. You can then walk the walk too and maybe you will spot all the things I missed :wink:

Yes please! Dizz, that would be smashing, thank you. :D :grin: :D

It will take me a while as I'll have to save one page at a time so be patient....do you just want walton inferior or superior too? Let me knw as it's no prob and you can see all the Greenalls who were in on the night too ha ha

in the mean time.....

I think I've sussed out New Road and the way the idiot enumerator with the bad handwriting walked. In the old map of 1882 if you find Walton House (scheule 6), New Road is the road near that which goes past towards Rose Cottage(schedule 10).

There are two more schedules after Rose Cottage and they must have been the boundary of Walton Inf(schedule 11 and 12), and he then walked down to Chester Road (boundary) where the first house was (ien near Tom P's bridge

(schedule 13) Chester Road, John Tattershall Cunliffe and family, master tanner employing 24 men

Here they are briefley if it's any use

WALTON INFERIOR - 1881

Schedule 1 - Tower House ?Farm?

2 - Walnut Tree Farm

2a - ??Irish House, Walnut Tree?? - John Godfrey etc

3 - ??Bacouet?? (god knows)??? Farm

3a - Irish House at above farm

4 - Cliff View, Joseph Whitfield a54

5 - Pool Farm

6 - Walton House

7 - 8 New Road

9 - York House

10 - Rose Cottage, New Road

11 - New Road

12 - New Road U (uninhabited)

13 - Chester Road - John Tattersall Cunliffe, master tanner empl. 24 men

13 - (maybe a) which I cant read but looks like 'House in ?field? ?Coachmans? Alfred Porter? a 30 Groom and Mary Porter wife. Probably anther Irish House

14 - U - uninhabited

15 - Legh Villas - your Mrs Jeffs ... ps it is shown as Legh and not Leigh

16 - Chester Road - Alfred George Gosling

17 - Chester Road - Mary Riley

18 - 22) Chester Road

23 - Cress Brook House, Chester Road

24 - Chester Road

25 - 26 Walton Village

27 Pool Bridge

28 - 29 Morley common

30 - Lawrinsons? Brow

31 - Walton Village

32 - Lawrinsons? Brow

33 - 39 - Walton Village

40 Chester Road John & Elis Moss? and Elizabeth Molyneaus (servant)

41 - 47 Chester Road

48 - The Stag pub

19 - 52 Walton Village

54 Ford? House

55 Mill Place

56 - 57 Pool Place

58 - 61 Brook Place

62 - 64 Walton Village

65 - 68 New Road

69 - 70 Walton Village

71 - 78 Lawrinsons? Brow again ... ps 73 has the Toft's, you'll remember them

79 Looks like 'House of Content or Consent' with a Thomas Ward 45 and family

80 - 88 Walton Village

89 - U (uninhabited)

90 - blank

92 - 94 Lawrinsons? Brow

95 - 99 Red Lane

100 - Red Lane Bridge

101 = The Cou?? U (unocupied)

102 - The Cou ? ocupied

103 - The Cou? U (unocupied)

104 - Brook House

*** end of walton inferior

Dizz, don't bother with Walton Superior just Inferior will do, it will give me something to focus on, during the winter evenings. No rush, seriously in your own time, I know how busy you are!. The info you have supplied so far has wetted my appetite.

The 'House of Content' is still there, with the plaque if I remember correctly above the door, you go down Taylor Street and as you enter Baronet Road that leads up to Solavy's works the cottage is on the right hand side.

Thanks Dizz.

1881 for Walton Inferior just sent Algy in two parts.

Only took me ten mins after all so sorry for the needless wait although it took similar time to email them cos of my slow 10 meg connection. Hope you get them ok if not I will split them down further :wink:

Let me know if you want any other years or anything else as I dont mind at all.

Going off topic a bit I suppose but why was the 'House of Content' called that as it seems an odd name ? I might have a wander past tomorrow for a nosey just to cure my curiosity. It's done well to last for 131 years without being knocked down though and if it;s got a plaque it must have been 'special'. Is it listed or something ?

Yep another 'Dizzy needs to know again' moment.... sorry :oops:

Blummin' heck Peter I never realised you were around in 1881, you are definately the oldest forum member then that's for sure. Front page for you tomorrow if Gary is still reading :wink::lol:

PS can't have been volvos though as they weren't aroung then were they :P

I'M JOKING

1881 for Walton Inferior just sent Algy in two parts.

Only took me ten mins after all so sorry for the needless wait although it took similar time to email them cos of my slow 10 meg connection. Hope you get them ok if not I will split them down further :wink:

Let me know if you want any other years or anything else as I dont mind at all.

Going off topic a bit I suppose but why was the 'House of Content' called that as it seems an odd name ? I might have a wander past tomorrow for a nosey just to cure my curiosity. It's done well to last for 131 years without being knocked down though and if it;s got a plaque it must have been 'special'. Is it listed or something ?

Yep another 'Dizzy needs to know again' moment.... sorry :oops:

Thanks for the Census returns, Dizz everything came over OK, not sure why they called it that. The plaque if I remember correctly is out of carved stone set in the centre of the front wall.

Map 1967.

2.jpg

Thanks for the map Algy. Bit more useless Dizzy info here....

I google street walked it found the house. Looks like a nice house and interesting plaque and there’s a head above the door but alas when you zoom into have a closer it's hard to read but definately didn't look like it said 'house' and looked more like 'cottage'

On the 1911 census it is actually referred to as the 'Cottage of Content'

I'm intrigued and wondered about going and knocking on the door tomorrow to ask the homeowner but my other half recons they will think I'm a right weirdo. Guess he;s probably right so I wont :oops:

Of course none of this is relevant to the building but nor is the fact that I've spent the chilly afternoon pondering about Tom Bloody Paines Bridge, its location, the images on your two earlier photos of TP's B and Leigh Villas and trying to get my bearings (which I've still not managed to do), not your illusive building which I don't think we will ever find..... or will we ?

I've looked at so many old maps and census records I feel like I have now gone back in time and am stuck there for eternity. I need to get my bearings on the other two pics of TP's Bridge and Leigh V's in relation to the illusive building and which way around they are. Where and what is the building with the advert on the side is in one of your past topics you mention Leigh Villas having an advert on the side but the pics gone now. In the pic of leigh villas I can see the building with an advert but is clearly different one. Arrgh I'm losing the plot and hate giving up or being confused.

Algy please can you upload the pic again which was on the topic 'where is this bridge' and the answer was tom paines.

I guess it's kept me quiet today though and hey I now know when my house was built but alas a few years too late for the 1911 census.

Am I right in thinking that Tom Paines bridge was pretty much in alignment with what is now Walton Heath Road and looking from the Ellesmere Road side it would have been roughly at the top right corner of the land at that bottom of greenalls ave which is now top right corner of the old cement works site and that Leigh Villas would have been to the left of the bridge and pretty much where they are going to be building the new houses where your sewer pipes were photographed.

The land used to owned by Anne Grime by the way and the land for the 6 cottages to the right(which I think are be the listed ones at the bottom of Greenalls Ave)

was owned by a Charles Bate and Thomas LEIGH on the old tithe maps of 1836 to 1851.

He (or one of his relatives with the same name at the time) occupoed one of them according to the tith maps. On the 1851 census of the same time it lists them as being in the Parish of Appleton in the village of Wilderspool.

I wonder if he then acquired the other land of Ms Grime and built Leigh Villas or perhaps they were names after him. I guess we will never know and can someone please tell me to shut up :lol:

Dizz, Hope this does not confuse you any more, by my reckoning, Leigh (Legh) Villas would have been opposite you and where the canal is, probably towards the opposite bank from Ellesmere Road.

The only reference I can find on the net is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Paine

Thomas Paine, no definite connection with Warrington although he did have some form of contact with John Aikin (Warrington Academy) he also designed the single span bridge at Sunderland, not sure why our bridge was named after him though, unless there was a local man with the same name?.

LeighVillasadjoiningTomPainesBridgeontheOldQuaycanal.jpg

Photo Blue 'X'

TomPainesbridgeknockeddownontheOldQuaycanalbuildingtheManchesterShipCanal.jpg

1877-1.jpg

1896.jpg

StocktonHeathWilderspoolstartofthecanalexcavation5thMay189022.jpg

Advertisement - Dolands?

StocktonHeathWilderspoolstartofthecanalexcavation5thMay18902.jpg

Thanks Algy, I'm still a little lost but I'm sure after another decaf coffee I will find my bearings :unsure::unsure:

One things confusing me though as you show Leigh Villas to have been roughly on the Ellesmere side of the MSC canal bank near to 74 Ellesmere but on the two maps I overlayed they do line up as being on the cement works site where they are digging now.

Here's my maps again (newer one one is pink and older one is blue) and everythings is lined up by the roads, lines, fences, stag etc and they do overlay and match easily (or so I think) and yet the villas finish up where I just said. How is that and what am I doing wrong :cry:

overlayedmaps-1.jpg

I need something else to distract me to take my mind of 'this' :lol::wink:

Thanks Algy, I'm still a little lost but I'm sure after another decaf coffee I will find my bearings :unsure::unsure:

One things confusing me though as you show Leigh Villas to have been roughly on the Ellesmere side of the MSC canal bank near to 74 Ellesmere but on the two maps I overlayed they do line up as being on the cement works site where they are digging now.

Here's my maps again (newer one one is pink and older one is blue) and everythings is lined up by the roads, lines, fences, stag etc and they do overlay and match easily (or so I think) and yet the villas finish up where I just said. How is that and what am I doing wrong :cry:

overlayedmaps-1.jpg

I need something else to distract me to take my mind of 'this' :lol::wink:

I don't think you are doing anything wrong Dizz, I did say though on the bank opposite Ellesmere Road, not on the Ellesmere Road side and it is only my guess, you are probably correct. I have just noticed I have marked the Red 'X' on the wrong side of the canal, Sorry!. :oops::roll: - what am I like. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Blummin' heck I'm confused again now Gazza :oops::lol:

Algy... can you please at leat put 'photo 2' back on your ealier post (of 13 February) as I can see the map that mentions it but you seem to have moved or deleted your actual photos that the map refers too. :cry:

This is the second Photo marked on the map as taken from here red X.

It must have been taken on the opposite side of the canal and the opposite side of the bridge or you wouldn't be able to see the church.

Most of the photos that claim to show Toms bridge when the ship canal is being cut must be showing something else.

Best regards

Gazza

I hope I got uploading the picture right.

Blummin' heck I'm confused again now Gazza :oops::lol:

Algy... can you please at leat put 'photo 2' back on your ealier post (of 13 February) as I can see the map that mentions it but you seem to have moved or deleted your actual photos that the map refers too. :cry:

Dizz, I have reinstated both photos, fight it out amongst yourselves for the moment :wink::wink: :wink: :wink: