The Falkland Islands

asperity

Apparently not, they`re sending one of the new type destroyers down to patrol around the Falklands. Just flexing our muscles!!!!!!!!!

Ian :shock:

We flexed our muscles in 1964 when a permanent detachment of Royal Marines were established on the Falklands.

3 years later there were talks with the Argentine Foreign Minister, stating Britain was prepared to forego sovereignty if assurance that the Islanders' rights and way of life would be preserved; :roll:

We flexed our muscles in 1964 when a permanent detachment of Royal Marines were established on the Falklands.

3 years later there were talks with the Argentine Foreign Minister, stating Britain was prepared to forego sovereignty if assurance that the Islanders' rights and way of life would be preserved; :roll:

That situation is a little different to now though Wolfie; we have had a war with them since then and many of our troops were killed....

I would hope that the government had a little more respect and sense to start discussing handing over our sovereign territory with such an event hanging over it

That situation is a little different to now though Wolfie; we have had a war with them since then and many of our troops were killed....

I would hope that the government had a little more respect and sense to start discussing handing over our sovereign territory with such an event hanging over it

We've lost a lot more troops in Scotland than the Falklands but some folk can't get rid of that country fast enough :wink:

If/when the Argies do invade again, much tougher sanctions must be enforced against them. We can't keep warring with them every 30 years or so because they just don't get it.

If British soil is attacked again. Maybe we can counter by attacking Argie soil.

To be honest, I think it is just Argie policital motives. Over time when an argie president has been struggling politically they just shout "Malvinas" to take the negative light away from them and to drum up support from the population.

But if they do show aggression, we must show it back.

so who among us are going there personally to take a hand in defending the Falklands?

Go on then Sid, put me' name down then, have to go by air though, I'm not a very good sailor.

I'll take me' foot pump, I can check and top up the air pressure in aircraft tyres, or if you give me a land rover I can always chase penguin's off the runway.:blink:

Whatever happens, at some point there will be discussions about the ownership of the Falklands.

The islanders did not object to talks in 1974, nor exclude discussions on sovereignty in 1977, nor yet reject leaseback in 1980.

They do not seem to have protested when the Argentines built them a runway and provided them with medical supplies, petrol at mainland prices or free secondary education in Argentina.

David Cameron like Blair before him is banging the Imperial drum, in an attempt to become popular.