The Falkland Islands

asperity

How many people are aware that the Falkland Islands are over 300 miles away from Argentina, and that, for this reason alone, Argentina has no claim to these islands? International waters for economic exploitation are only out as far as 200 miles so the inhabitants of the Falklands are quite within their rights to resist any claims from Argentina and are, historically, also within their rights to ask the UK for protection if threatened. Just saying :wink: :wink:

• Downvote 1

And your point is what Wolfie?? The inhabitants of the Falklands don't want to be subjects of Argentina, and as long as that situation prevails they are entitled to the protection of the UK if they want it. If at some point they decided to become Argentinian then I very much doubt that the UK would stand in their way. :wink:

I'm more interested in your point that states that any claim on the islands is dictated by how far away from them a country is.

The legal status of the Falkland Islands is that it presently belongs to the United Kingdom therefore the rule of 300 applies, just because the government of Argentina lays claim to these two islands it does not give it any legal right to occupy them.

This document makes for interesting reading on the subject:-

All you would wish to know about the Falkland Islands.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/maproom/falkland/gettingitright.pdf

Wolfie, you are choosing to give my statement a false meaning. My point was not that the UK is closer to the Falklands than Argentina (which most people would agree is absurd) but that they islands are legally outside Argentina's zone of influence under UNCLOS:

Exclusive Economic Zone

At present the sovereignty over the Falklands is disputed, but until such time as it is settled any attempt by Argentina to take the islands would be illegal. :wink: :wink:

At present the sovereignty over the Falklands is disputed

No it isn't.... we kicked their Argie arses last time. That means we won. That means they are British

So no more of this "Malvinas" nonsense please, they are the Falkland Islands

As I am now the pedantic king of the forum, I will quote exactly what you said.

How many people are aware that the Falkland Islands are over 300 miles away from Argentina, and that, for this reason alone, Argentina has no claim to these islands

Now please point out what part of that statement have I misunderstood.

I think it was Britain's most famous general, the Duke of Wellington, who declared: "It is not clear that we have ever possessed the sovereignty of these islands." He said that in 1829, when he was prime minister -- just four years before the Royal Navy landed troops on the islands,

I didn't say you misunderstood what I said, I think you understood perfectly well what I meant but chose to misrepresent my words.

In 1829 it wasn't clear that Britain had ever had sovereignty over the islands, although she had claimed it in the past. However ever since 1833 Britain has maintained a presence on, and a claim to, the islands. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No it isn't.... we kicked their Argie arses last time. That means we won. That means they are British

So no more of this "Malvinas" nonsense please, they are the Falkland Islands

I'm with you on this one Baz!, we occupy the islands, we govern the islands, we own the islands, the Falkland Islander want us there for there protection and survival, the only country disputing our presence there is Argentina, backed by Spain. So what is the problem! :rolleyes:

the only country disputing our presence there is Argentina, backed by Spain. So what is the problem! :rolleyes:

Think you will find algy that most of South America, and China support Argentina and the United States have now moved from one of total support of Britain to one of being Neutral. :roll:

The only people disputing the sovereignty are the Argies..... and they matter squat.

There may well be a hand over in the future, but not while the deaths of all those British troops lies so fresh in the minds of the British. Any government that even entertains handing over the Falklands would face a backlash never before seen.....

Our governments have already spat on the graves of the servicemen who died keeping the Germans at bay in WW2 by signing away most of our sovereignty to Brussels.... they wouldn't risk doing it again so soon........ would they??