WH Smith voucher scam - have you been caught out?

Geoff Settle

Low down on the Gift Card - 'Don't forget, you can always top-up your WHSmith Gift card at any time'

"Any balance will remain on your WHSmith Gift Card for you to use next time you visit'

Date of purchase 04/11/2005

Terms & Conditions:

6. ... The maximum card limit is 1,000 pounds.

7. If unused for 24 months, this card will expire and the balance will be deducted. A balance enquiry is not considered use.

I reckon you'd be rather upset if you had topped it up and lost it for 25 months... mine was 27 months.

I don't think this can be classed a good customer care, especially as I can't read it without my glasses.

It was bought in good faith and should be accepted in good faith by WHSmith.

Thansk to all who support my view it's appreciated

I have just sent a note to the BBC Watchdog program because if it bothers me it bothers others much more.

[ 18.02.2008, 22:22: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

I must be loosing the plot because I've just been on line and tried buying a ?25 W H Smith gift voucher.

I did exactly what I would have done on the understanding that these vouchers are just like cash.

I saw no warnings about time limits. However when I checked the terms and conditions I found this:-

"There is no time limit by which the voucher must be used."

So who's kidding who on this?

Bill :)

Originally posted by JayC:

Kate.

While I agree somewhat , small print is small print its there to be read , would you ignore the small print on an insurance policy or an ISA etc, so why ignore it on a gift voucher.

John

An Insurance Policy is almost like a bet. Both you and the Insurers are gambling on the hope that you won't be burgled, lose your roof tiles, be flooded out etc. An ISA is also a risk as it's dependent on the Market. Buying a gift voucher is not insuring against any event or hoping to accumulate interest. It is a straight forward transaction whereby you pay in advance for an item to be obtained in the future. The small print shouldn't contain any time limits.