Do You Know.....

Cleopatra

what the word 'mong' means?

It used to be an abbreviation of mongoloid, a term that refered to people with Down's Syndrdome but came to be considered an offensive word.

Ricky Gervais, in his science live show on channel 4 said Susan Boyle would not be where she is now if it was not for the fact that she looked like a f***ing mong. He said, "when she first came on the telly, I said is that a mong? You all did."

His remarks caused a number of complaints from viewers but Ofcom have cleared channel 4 of breaching guidelines on offensive content because the show aired after the watershed.

The regulators claim their own research revealed that most people did not know the word 'mong' came from the term mongoloid. They took into account that channel 4 also gave a warning that the show contained strong language and adult material. But they also issued a warning to tv bosses about the use of the word 'mong'.

On Twitter Gervais tweeted 'What is a mong? A div, a dozy spud headed twonk.' Pretty much describes himself!

IMO, Susan Boyle has far more talent in her little finger than he has in the whole of his foul mouthed, fat, greasy body!

• Upvote 1

I'm not really a fan of any of them but I did see a Ricky Gervais stand up show once and what you say doesn't surprise me.

He insulted most people in the celebrity world. He was going after Dawn French when I seen him. I guess its just part of his stand-up.

I did know what "Mong" meant and it would not be a word I would use but I know plenty that do.

It has been around for a while. It was a common insult when I was in high school.

I knew where it originated from and I have also heard it used a lot. It's not a nice word but to be honest it's not one that I myself find offensive or shocking :oops:

Doesn't suprise me that Gervais used the word though as that's what he's like although I don't recall ever hearing any other commedian use it on any of their dvd's etc but maybe I just didn't notice.

I cannot stand the ignorant foul mouthed lout. :angry:

Wolfie, you are entitled to your opinion although in this instance I do not respect it, there are many families out there who have children with Downs Syndrome and devote their lives to them, why should they have to suffer ignorant pigs such as he, foul mouthing there loved ones on the media and in their own homes.

Perhaps. like the French, we could have a law banning the use of offensive words or the denial of historical facts, but folk would need to keep up to date on the latest PC vocabulary, or go to prison! :wink:

We do have laws banning the use of offensive words, particuarly in public. However, at least with some of them it needs to be shown that they caused distress. I seem to recall a recent case where the accused was charged with using industrial strength language to a Police Officer and the judge/magistrate deciding that it was not likely that a police officer would be distressed by the language and aquitting him

I wouldn't recommend risking it should you ever see a copper. :|

I cannot stand the ignorant foul mouthed lout. :angry:

Wolfie, you are entitled to your opinion although in this instance I do not respect it, there are many families out there who have children with Downs Syndrome and devote their lives to them, why should they have to suffer ignorant pigs such as he, foul mouthing there loved ones on the media and in their own homes.

algy, the only part I agree with is that, in his opinion many people on first seeing Susan Boyle may have thought she was Downs syndrome, I know that I did.

For him to say that publicly is open to debate. I too don't particularly like Gervais,and because of that I choose not to watch him, so I don't get offended. I also choose not to watch Susan Boyle because I don't like her either.

algy, the only part I agree with is that, in his opinion many people on first seeing Susan Boyle may have thought she was Downs syndrome, I know that I did.

For him to say that publicly is open to debate. I too don't particularly like Gervais,and because of that I choose not to watch him, so I don't get offended. I also choose not to watch Susan Boyle because I don't like her either.

Delete Susan Boyle - substitute "The Osmonds" (showing my age)

To me, the choice is straightforward; those who actually find RG funny will accept this use of language, the rest of us shouldn't be affected by it, as we wouldn't know he'd said it if it wasn't thought of as "newsworthy".

Personally, I have never seen anything of his as remotely entertaining, much less funny, but that just means I avoid watching him.