Managing your money?

observer

If I was used to living on say £50,000 and then someone took £24,000 off me; then no..... but that is still no excuse to pay benefit claimants ridiculous amounts of benefits which mean they have no incentive to ever find work....

I heard one un-employed single mother on the news who is currently claiming in excess of the £26,000 a year (including over £16,000 in rent!) complaining that the cap would mean that she would have to move to a cheaper area and that this "would make her current childcare arrangemnets almost impossible".

Hang on love, you're un-employed.

What the hell do you NEED childcare for??????

Inky, what she probably meant was that at present she has family/friends available to look after her kid/kids (unpaid) and if she has to move to another area she wont have them nearby or as convenient.... ie for when she goes shopping, out with her mates, to the gym, or whatever. £16k in rent is a lot but I guess it depends where you are living.

Maybe she should move into one of these affordable houses which are apparently popping up everywhere in Warrington as lets face it our youngsters or less wealthy can't afford to actually buy them. I guess we have enough willing and unable local benefitters and scroungers to fill them if the need ever arises though too.

Stallard... keep holding on... and so will I :lol:

Whilst (amazingly) agreeing in principle with the Gov position on this (albeit, they could have started with the non-British citizen claimants first); think we need to note, that most of the 56,000 or so families affected, live in high cost (rent) areas such as London and if previous Governments had maintained a social (Council) housing building programme, cheaper rented properties may have been available. Having said that; on the same night's news, we have a contrasting position by this Gov on the issue of Executive Salaries, no mention of a "cap" there, no mention of worker reps on remuneration panels, no mention of any legally binding ratio remuneration within Companies. So, as the old saying goes - ther's one law for the rich, and another for the poor - even in this age of austerity, when we're "all in it together"! :wink:

Obs.... workers always have the option of going to find another job if they don't like how the company they work for (notice I didn't say THEIR company) is run.

If I start a business and build it to the point where I can draw a million pounds a year from it, I wouldn't want the local lefty shop steward telling me how much money I can earn..... If the moaning ones are so concerned about such things, let them go start a business and deal with all the problems that comes with it

Am I right in thinking that this cap is £26000 tax paid? In which case for a working person to have as much disposable income they would have to earning around £35000? Just asking :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Correct. £500 per week to take home. Plus various non-cash benefits such as free school meals and the like, and without any of the costs associated with commuting to work or paying for childcare while at work.

Inky, what she probably meant was that at present she has family/friends available to look after her kid/kids (unpaid) and if she has to move to another area she wont have them nearby or as convenient....

That's exactly what she meant. She'd then have to look after her own inconvenient (but apparently very lucrative) kids!

Obs.... workers always have the option of going to find another job if they don't like how the company they work for (notice I didn't say THEIR company) is run.

If I start a business and build it to the point where I can draw a million pounds a year from it, I wouldn't want the local lefty shop steward telling me how much money I can earn..... If the moaning ones are so concerned about such things, let them go start a business and deal with all the problems that comes with it

Seems to work quite well with John Lewis

I manage on a lot less than £26,000 probably less than half that and i run a car and a motorbike.

Ok so I have no kids and the house is paid for even so if i was to try and claim benefit I would receive nothing as we have savings and as my works pension pays more per week than job seekers allowance I could not even claim that.

But am I happy. :mrgreen:

Errrm, Tis you who are clueless Skipper; you don't really believe for one second that all these boardroom surfers started up these companies from scratch, did you? They are career managers, having climbed the not so greasy pole; and their rewards should (in theory) be based on success NOT failiure, but alas this hasn't been the case (eg the banks). :roll: As for who should have a say in their remuneration, as most investors are saving or pension schemes managed by fund managers, the little people don't have any direct say; Fund Mangers do, but alas they may be peeing in the same pot as the Executives they supposed to be monitoring. What we have is a nice cosy arrangement, with these Execs (and some politicians) sitting on each others Boards deciding on remuneration, regardless of performance. :roll:

Errrm, Tis you who are clueless Skipper; you don't really believe for one second that all these boardroom surfers started up these companies from scratch, did you? They are career managers, having climbed the not so greasy pole; and their rewards should (in theory) be based on success NOT failiure, but alas this hasn't been the case (eg the banks). :roll: As for who should have a say in their remuneration, as most investors are saving or pension schemes managed by fund managers, the little people don't have any direct say; Fund Mangers do, but alas they may be peeing in the same pot as the Executives they supposed to be monitoring. What we have is a nice cosy arrangement, with these Execs (and some politicians) sitting on each others Boards deciding on remuneration, regardless of performance. :roll:

So are you talking about FTSE 100 companies which are mainly owned by many many different organisations and often have head offices outside the UK or are we talking about companies started and run by one or two people who eventually have the luxury of dragging a few million quid each year for their hard work|? You seem to be bunging them all into the same pot and the two are millions of miles apart..... but then the lefty green eyed monster is never far away I guess....

There is a big difference and I would argue that there are a damned sight more of the latter; whose pay and conditions have sod all to do with the people who are paid to do a job

Observer said: Errrm, Tis you who are clueless Skipper

I think you meant to address me as "Captain", but it just goes to reinforce how clueless you are. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To address your whinges about the evil capitalists, you may well be right that the executives and shareholders are scratching each others backs, but it is not the role of government to tell private companies how to spend their profits. Would you like the government to tell you what you can and cannot buy with your money? :roll: :roll: :roll: