No Sir!

observer

Amidst all the hand wringing by our political class, who claim "we're all in it together", when clearly we're not; seems they're now really going to get tough on those greedy Bankers who caused the mess that most of us are paying to clear up. And the really tough suggestion they've come up with, is to take Sir Fred Goddwin's knighthood off him - wow - guess that'll get those Bankers into line, eh?! :wink:

• Downvote 1

In regards to the topic.

I would personally find it a great honour to be knighted and if one day I am I would be devastated to be stripped of my "Sir" status because I have let people down.

I understand however, there are other people that wouldn't give two hoops.

Being Knighted is for a great skill/service to the people. Sir Fred Goddwin's knighthood should be removed as he has failed in his skill/service. Whether he cares or not is another question.

He "earned" his honour at that time, apparently. Came a cropper later but if he had pulled it all off he would be a national hero .

Seems to me to be a little bit vindictive to make a hind-sight decision.

Yes, he feathered his own nest, but I wouldn't throw the first stone for that reason.

Happy days

He was nominated for the knighthood by a Labour Gov, "for services to banking"; presumably before the activities of many of this profession gave rise to "the crash", and the banking failiures that gave rise to the rest of us picking up the tab. But if this is the best the politicians can do to right a wrong, and hold the right people to account for the mess, it doesn't say much for the politicians. :roll:

Eh???? :blink: Since when have I "trusted" politicians? That's the point of the topic; we're getting lots of hand wringing and crocodile tears from them, and this pathetic suggestion to take a knighthood away, but no legislation to actually criminalise the activities of these "masters of the universe" and actually recoup the money from them, and prevent such obscene levels of greed happening again. :angry:

Eh???? :blink: Since when have I "trusted" politicians? That's the point of the topic; we're getting lots of hand wringing and crocodile tears from them, and this pathetic suggestion to take a knighthood away, but no legislation to actually criminalise the activities of these "masters of the universe" and actually recoup the money from them, and prevent such obscene levels of greed happening again. :angry:

I was being ironic (or sarcastic if you prefer!) :roll: :roll:

Well, the farce goes on: with politicians "asking"/"urging" the RBS Boss NOT to take his £million bonus. Can't blame the RBS Boss for taking what the previous Labour arrangements are allowing him to do, which makes Millipedes bleatings even harder to stomach. And George Oz, is telling us it would cost us more to undo the Labour stitch up. So we've got a load of hand wringing from the political class when it comes to tax-payers forking out for a £million bonus, but they're not so reticent when it comes to capping benefits at £26,000. Isn't there one politician out there, who's prepared to back up their "fairness" rhetoric with some action? EG: for a start - a windfall tax on all City bonus payments? :roll: :roll:

All this does is prove that our plastic politicians have no power other than to rob the ordinary working man blind. This is what we have come to, sold down the river by a load of spivs :blink: :blink: :blink:

If wrecking the banking system means that a person is disqualified from a knighthood, then a certain Gordon Brown must be out of the frame for one :wink: :wink: