Tory Minister thinks Multi-millionaress should be given Yacht by the nation

Nick Tessla

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and also. if our Monarchy is 112 pounds more expensive than the Irish presidency I would pay the extra myself.... and as for alternative uses; what alternative use would Buckingham Palace have?

To clarify - that's 112 times the cost (further details available via Republic's website)

As for alternative uses for Buck House examples include Government offices and apartments for non-london MPs (cut down on expense fiddles)

If the Government wanted to use Buckingham Palace they would have to buy it first. It isn't owned by the government, it is part of the Crown Estate. Should the monarchy be terminated then the property managed on behalf of the nation by the Crown Estate would revert back to its owner, and in the case of Buckingham Palace that would be the (ex)sovereign.

Back to the drawing board Nick :wink: :wink: :wink:

I am perfectly calm and in my comfort zone.... just browsing the ancestry site and doing my WW1 family reasearch!!

Going through my Mum's stuff, I have found loads of photo's but nobody to ask who is on them. But I have found out when my Grandparents were born, so maybe I will venture onto the Family Tree bit again.

Going through my Mum's stuff, I have found loads of photo's but nobody to ask who is on them. But I have found out when my Grandparents were born, so maybe I will venture onto the Family Tree bit again.

I'm loving doing the research Peter.... My dads dad was on board the battleship Canada at the battle of Jutland (as was the brother of his future wife as that is how they were introduced!!).... he also was entered into the VC ballot for his part in the raid on Zeebrugge in 1918 and then in 1919 he went on the archangel river expedition to sort out the Bolsheviks after the Russian Revolution!!

Mums dad did his service in the trenches in Belgium near to Ypres.....

Maybe we should have a family history section!!

If the Government wanted to use Buckingham Palace they would have to buy it first. It isn't owned by the government, it is part of the Crown Estate. Should the monarchy be terminated then the property managed on behalf of the nation by the Crown Estate would revert back to its owner, and in the case of Buckingham Palace that would be the (ex)sovereign.

Back to the drawing board Nick :wink: :wink: :wink:

Why buy what the state already owns?

The Crown estate isn't the personal property of Elizabeth Windsor (that is confirmed by the Crown Estate website) and never has been - the crown can be seen as a synonym of the state and the Government can treat it as any other piece of state property.

Wrong. The Sovereign handed over Crown Property to be managed by the Crown Estate in return for the Civil List payments. If you get rid of the Sovereign there is no Civil List, no Crown Estate and all the property would be returned to the (ex)Sovereign. The Treasury receives any monies made by the Crown Estate and part of this money is used to pay for the Civil List, so in effect the Royal Family, far from being a cost to the country, actually makes money for the Treasury. Even an anti-Royalist like you should welcome this Nick <_< <_<

Wrong. The Sovereign handed over Crown Property to be managed by the Crown Estate in return for the Civil List payments. <_< <_<

Merely an administartive nicety

Crown property i.e. not personally owned by the individual holding the position of soverign - (anymore than Cameron owns 10 Downing Street)

As I said before, crown = synonym for state ,so without soverign can be used for whatever purpose the elected government chooses.

Observer, you have posted many inane comments on here but that one has to take first prize. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. "The Queen's private army"? I shouldn't have to tell someone (you) that the Queen is the figurehead of the state and has no power beyond that which is granted by the present government (more's the pity as she probably has more savvy than all the six hundred odd (odd?) people in Parliament put together). :roll: :roll: