Ofsted to stop giving notice of inspections

Nick Tessla

I have been threatened, shouted at, abused verbally, had objects thrown at me and yet the students are still on my register

My wife was a teacher for 35 years in Primary and Special Needs schools and over the last 20 years in particular the little darlings behaved in exactly the same way.

One little cherub on his first day in school promptly told a teacher to 'f*** off'. His mother said ' now now that's naughty' :roll: :roll:

I have every sympathy for you sadako, because I know what my wife had to put up with over all those years. You really have to be dedicated to go into teaching these days.

Thanks Wolfe. Don't get me wrong there are some lovely students. They make the day so much easier. I used to teach one student who spoke to me like I was something stuck on the bottom of his shoe. If he needed help he shout my name then shout "come here". He would openly state that my resources were "s***" and "boring" after I'd gone to great lengths to make the activities as fun as possible. I could not discipline him in fear that he may punch me as he had "anger management issues". Another student walked away from me when I demanded to know why she had left my lesson for a cigarette. She told me that she was not going to answer me because she didn't like the sound of my voice and it was doing her head in. Ahhhh well.

How things have changed eh?

If I went home and told my momma the teacher had shouted at me for anything, I would have got a clout for 'showing her up'. And when poppa came home from work I most probably got another clout for 'showing him up'.

Today, if a child goes home and tells it's parent/s the same thing, the parent/s are very likely to advise the child to tell the teacher to f*** off next time, or tell them they (the parent/s) will go round to that f***ing school and sort that f***ing teacher out! I know because I have heard them saying it and other, equally as offensive, remarks.

I note that the powers that be are upping the school leaving age to 18. That should help reduce the number of school leavers applying for jobs.

I also noted that there is a call to increase the school day by an extra 15 minutes per day. The theory being that they will be better prepared for a working environment and that it will produce a more coherent work ethic. :blink:

Dare I mwention Labour's Shadow education Secretary, Stephen Twigg?

From the BBC

"The school day should be lengthened to prepare pupils for work, says Shadow Education Secretary Stephen Twigg.

A longer day could also help stop teenagers joining gangs and be a haven from chaotic homes, he adds..........................

..............Mr Twigg told the North of England Education Conference schools that have already brought in extended days, are giving pupils a better perspective of what will be expected of them once they join the work-place.

"A long hours culture has its drawbacks, but how many employers expect their workers to leave the office at 3.30pm?"

He also said that a longer school day could help pupils living in poor housing conditions find a quiet place to study, and persuade others who might be drawn into gangs to stay out of trouble. "

How would increasing the school day prepare kids for working life?

If/when they go to college all normality of school starting finishing times and structure (which they have already had for 12 years) goes completely out of the window anyway with the bizzare college timetables.

What would you propose Baz J? How would you prepare our youth for the "real world"?

Well certainly Sadako; the "real World" does not involve finishing at 3 oclock in the afternoon.

My son is due to start at GSH next September and they have already told us that on 2 possibly 3 days a week, the kids finish between 2:30 and 3:00..... now you show me a job where that happens (other than a teacher of course)

Now maybe if they had the kids maybe in the final year finishing at 5pm or 5:30pm that would be a start....

Teaching kids the value of money, how to budget rather than living of student loans etc. Teach them the value of being nice to people, the value in starting a apension to plan for old age and that 30 years really isn't that long and waiting until you are 30 is a really bad idea.... there are many ways that the real world could be taught; unfortunately it would need to be done by people who live in the real world...... and teachers are not those people!

Well certainly Sadako; the "real World" does not involve finishing at 3 oclock in the afternoon.

I don't know of a teacher that finishes at 3pm :unsure: :unsure:

I know that my wife hardly ever got home from school before 6pm and never finished work before 10pm even though she was at home.

Teach them the value of being nice to people, the value in starting a a pension

Sorry, not in the curriculum, you know the one set by politicians that have probably have 5x more time off than teachers. :roll:

Baz J, I spend most of my day along with my colleagues teaching students manners and how to be nice to people. I do think that if this was taught at home from an early age by their PARENTS then the world would be a happier place.

I am a personal tutor and part of my job IS to teach them how to budget their money along with interview techniques and preparing them for work.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your last comment but by the sounds of things it is you that's not in the 'real world'.

I don't know of a teacher that finishes at 3pm

I do..... that is why I said it..... I haven't just worked with one school in my career, I have worked with over 300... and had to deal with teachers, head teachers, bursars, site managers etc. etc. you try getting a teacher or head teacher to come in over the holidays to open up a school so you can carry out work that they are "desperate" to get done in the holidays.....

you may work in a school where teachers don't finish at 3, but they do exist. You may work in schools where teachers work through their holidays, but many don't. (I have a good few of my teachers/heads/schools on facebook and know when and where they go for holidays)

There are good and bad in all occupations; unfortunately teachers carry the can for the failures in education and the (perceived or otherwise) cushy number they have with holidays