Ofsted to stop giving notice of inspections

Nick Tessla

I think, actually, they should have a mixture of arranged and suprise inspections. My ship is subject to a host of inspections by oil companies, the owner, the manager, class, port state, flag state etc. Some of these (mainly oil company vettings) are arranged in advance mainly because they are so intense that the ship needs time to ensure everything the inspector needs to see will be available on the day. The other inspections try to ensure that the ship's crew is keeping on top of the job. I don't know for certain, but I suspect that factories, offices, banks etc are subject to a mixture of arranged and suprise inspections and audits. :wink: :wink:

Hi Peter. I'm not sure why I decided to check the forum again. I may start posting like the good old days. How are you doing? X

It would be great to have your input, if you can find the time in between chasing tornadoes.

there could be a posters gathering in the summer. I will keep you posted.x

Wolfe, there is more paperwork that needs to be created for Ofsted inspections (regardless of whether this should be common practice or not). If teachers were subject to random inspections, then surely creating all this extra paperwork for every lesson is unrealistic and a total waste of teachers time and effort when this could be put to better use.

Peter, if I am free I would be happy to come.

surely creating all this extra paperwork for every lesson is unrealistic and a total waste of teachers time and effort when this could be put to better use.

That's what all the teachers say, but trying telling that to the Heads and the Government. Lesson plans are required daily, weekly, monthly and for a whole term.

...and is unrealistic. It doesn't happen half of the time and to be honest I can't ever see it happening for the simple reason that there just isn't enough time in the day (and not just in working hours).

Unrealistic it may be, but it has to be done, not only because the government and Ofsted insist upon it, but also because the heads who don't want to be seen as failure insist upon it also. Having Ofsted inspections without notice won't alter the situation either because an inspector can ask to see lesson plans going back to the year dot if they want to.

BTW most lesson plans are drawn up at home.

I know most lesson plans are drawn up at home along with most of the other planning and prep and resources that go along with the job sense my comment "and not just in the working hours". It isn't a 9-3 job like most people think. It's a shame that most of the working day is taken up with dealing with bad behaviour. I'm not debating that surprise inspections isn't a good idea. It is, just not if extra paperwork is needed which is sometimes a waste of time.

Hi Sadako, since you've not been around for a while, you should re-familiarise yourself with some of the politics on here, try this for starters:

By the end of this thread you will have learned that teaching is dead easy because:

* you get loads of holidays

* you have a short working day, typically around 9.00am - 3.30. Yes, all of you.

* you're paid loadsamoney

* you're notified whenever someone is going to examine everything you do, in great detail

* all parents are wonderful allies

* there are loads of teaching vacancies

* you get a really good pension

* you always have the full backing of your boss, regardless of what students or parents may say

* you don't have to be able to "do", just teach.

On the down side, you can't beat the kids with sticks anymore.

I know that's the point your making, but it will because realistically teachers find it hard to keep up to date with lesson plans so they don't get done...at least not as detailed as they should be.

The risk that teachers take if they don't do lesson plans is that Ofsted inspectors will ask to see them. If they aren't there or not as detailed as they should be then that teacher will probably be marked as a failing teacher.

If all teachers do that then the school will fail.

It's in the interest of the teacher, the head and the school that lesson plans are completed and recorded for any future inspections.

Yes, Yes the holidays lol. The reality is this:

I don’t know a teacher that doesn’t work through their holidays. I certainly work through mine.I may not be by my computer for a full working day but then the points below will make up for this.

My working day is contracted from 9-5, however I am expected to be in earlier and I do often leave later. I actually work from 8am-5.50pm in order to get work done. I then leave and return home and spend approximately two more hours working from home in order to prepare for the next few days. I attend work Monday to Friday. I do however work weekends in order to complete my lesson plans (and the differentiation plans needed for students with learning difficulties, disabilities and those who struggle or a bright. There is also marking, resources I and attend open evening and promotional event when necessary (just a handful of things). Oh and don’t forget the parents evenings and the odd meeting with parents who need to be seen as a matter of urgency and the 10 minute break I usually get a day. It’s all part of the job and I don’t mind it so much. What I do mind is people assuming that I have a 9-3 job.

“You’re paid loads of money”: Hmmm not quite. I myself earn less than the average wage for a graduate and I have the equivalent of 3 degrees. This is also with the benefit of being on a slightly higher grade due to industry experience. If I took the amount of hours I work through the week (which I think on average would work out at about 53 hours.

"You are notified whenever someone is going to examine everything you do, in great detail": Ofsted maybe. My boss…not so true. We do have 'drop in observations' from the people in charge to check that we are doing our jobs.

"There are loads of teaching vacancies": Nope – funding cuts mean higher redundancies and less job opportunities but I guess that is the same everywhere.

"You always have the full backing of your boss, regardless of what students or parents may say": Again not strictly true. I have been threatened, shouted at, abused verbally, had objects thrown at me and yet the students are still on my register. Its funny how there is zero tolerance of violence towards the NHS staff, yet there is a message sent out to the kids that it is okay to behave like this towards the teaching staff. Dealing with bad behaviour takes up a lot of my time during the day.

"You don’t have to be able to ‘do’ just teach": Yes that is true in some cases, but in certain cases it is very difficult.

"On the down side, you can't beat the kids with sticks anymore": …… :roll:

There are talks of allowing parents the right on top of the Ofsted inspections to observe lessons. I think this would be a great idea, then maybe it would teach them a little bit about the profession…and their little angel :rolleyes:

I work in FE though so I cannot comment on primary or secondary education, nor can I speak for other teachers. I would suggest though, that if their day isn’t like mine then they are not doing their jobs properly.

It may not be a respected profession anymore or as rewarding as people think.It may also be stressful as hell, but I love my job :o