Local(ish) Driving Theory Test Centre

Dizzy

Well, the Victorians laid down a great RailHopper lane from Warrington to St Helens. You can catch the direct train at 22mins after every hour and it will take just 17mins. Cost is just £2.95 return with a 16-25 railcard and you can even take your bicycle on board at no extra charge.

Regards

Rod

£2.95 return and only takes 17 minutes :shock: ... blummin' heck that's actually very good Rod and cheaper than one way to Warrington Collegiate.

Time to find out where the station is in relation to the test centre. There's a light at the end of the tunnel at last :lol:

The light has just gone out again.

Rod you could have told me that the 16-25 railcard you mentioned actually costs £28 :blink:

That aside to get from the station to the test centre it appears from google maps that you have to

walk upto an island

go down Shaw Street

then along Corporation Street

past the SH minor injuries unit

up hall street

down Bickerstaff Street

up Claughton Street

right into another road called claughton street in opposed to carrying on up to the left down the original claughton street (confused)

where I did see mention of a building called Century House

But century house is supposed to be on Hardshaw Street :unsure::blink:

If he does go by bus or train I recon they should give him an immediate pass just for managing to get there successfully :lol:

Dizzy

The full price of the ticket is £4.50 (not bad) and shows the sort of savings that one gets from a rail card. On long distance trains you get off peak prices even though you may be travelling at peak times. You can get a return to London leaving as early as you like for £24.50 going down and then by catch the 21:10 train back for just £7.90.

I think that rail cards really open up the countryside for young people and can give them their own mobility to explore other the countrysdide and other towns and cities, etc.

Regards

Rod

Dizzy

The full price of the ticket is £4.50 (not bad) and shows the sort of savings that one gets from a rail card. On long distance trains you get off peak prices even though you may be travelling at peak times. You can get a return to London leaving as early as you like for £24.50 going down and then by catch the 21:10 train back for just £7.90.

I think that rail cards really open up the countryside for young people and can give them their own mobility to explore other the countrysdide and other towns and cities, etc.

Regards

Rod

Hardly the point, considering all the lad wants to do is take a test. :roll:

Peter

That sounds a little grumpy. After all he has not even passed his written exam yet so the only way he can get any independent mobility is either through walking, cycling or public transport.

Even if he does pass his written and practical driving test then the cost of motoring for teens is huge and he should certainly consider alternative ways of getting around.

Best regards

Rod

Baz

Correct, but you can upgrade at weekends!

"10.Discounted tickets are not valid for travel in First Class, except for Upgrades to First Class at weekends (subject to availability) upon payment of the appropriate supplement"

However 16-25 Railcards can be used for advanced First Class tickets and Senior Railcards seems to be eligable on all Standard and First Class tickets.

Regards

Rod

Baz

Correct, but you can upgrade at weekends!

"10.Discounted tickets are not valid for travel in First Class, except for Upgrades to First Class at weekends (subject to availability) upon payment of the appropriate supplement"

However 16-25 Railcards can be used for advanced First Class tickets and Senior Railcards seems to be eligable on all Standard and First Class tickets.

Regards

Rod

The weekend upgrades are good.....used to be £10.00 but I think it is now £15.00

I love to travel by train, we did the train to Paris and then TGV out to Brittany a few years ago; you can't beat the mainline stuff..... breakfast, dinner, the all you can drink wine on the Eurostar!! But you would never in a million years get me to pay £3500 for a season ticket to travel on some tatty old branch line EMU into London like those soft Southern jessies do!!

As for 16-25 railcards.... no more I'm afraid....

Senior railcards.......... no....not yet!! :D

Eh ? Baz must have passed his test considering the beastie he drives :unsure:

Unless you are referring to Rod of course... but I presume he has passed his driving test too :unsure:

Dizzy

Can't be me. I passed my driving test many years ago. Mind you they only had a practical then. And besides on the occassion that I do cycle the I normally hop on my bike with normal clothes.

Regards

Rod

There was only the practical when I passed too Rod and luckily that was done locally to. Why one earth they have to make things so complicated and awkward these days is beyond me.

Some people on here do seen to have a strange obsession about other people wearing lycra though. Each to their own though I suppose :lol:

I thought that was just going to be a driving 'practical' test centre but hey maybe it will be a theory one too. Good thinking, I need to try and find out more :D

I read today that Poulton with Fearnhead Parish Council are opposing it due to the possibility of increased traffic. That really annoyed me. :evil:

For years people have been battling to get a test centre returned to Warrington after the outrage when it was closed and now 'they' try and block it.

The Paddington House location is only temporary for 3 months anyway and I very much doubt there will be a big inpact on traffic. It may also bring some new interest and added business to the Hotel as I seem to recall that just before christmas it went into administration (or similar).

Do the PwFPC not realise the inconvenience, but more importantly the ADDITIONAL COSTS, that youngsters and others learning to drive around here are facing with having to do their practical tests in St Helens etc.

It also causes problems for driving instructors as in an hours lesson they cannot reach their destination so they then rely on people being able to afford longer lessons.

I'm not just saying all this because our lad is learning to drive and ready for his test as I would be saying the same regardless. If there were plans for a test centre on my doorstep I would welcome that too as it would be no big deal.

I'm sure it would be very safe too as people undoubtably drive very carefully indeed with an instructor and/or examiner on board (apart from my mother-in-law who hit the back of a bus on her driving test but that was about 50 years ago) :blink:

There was only the practical when I passed too Rod and luckily that was done locally to. Why one earth they have to make things so complicated and awkward these days is beyond me.

Some people on here do seen to have a strange obsession about other people wearing lycra though. Each to their own though I suppose :lol:

Lycra might be shown less disdain if, you know who, were to do something really useful and lobby for the return of both the practical and theoretical driving tests to Warrington ? With contacts in the European Parliament he should find it to be a push over !!

No it wont as they will do it anyway if they can.

There are many who feel that obtaining a full driving licence is a necessity and definate benfit for the old cv for possibly getting a job or apprenticeship (not that there are any available of course).

If only life were that simple of course.

Problem is they probably don't realise that if they get a job which involves driving to and from a place of work their minimum pay wages will all go on petrol and insurance to get there and back so I guess they may be better off just signing on and sticking to pushbikes, walking and busses after all.

Always used to make me laugh when i was signing on that you had to be willing to travel up to 1 1/2 hours to a place of work. I argued that was about eight miles. they argue that was about 30 miles and i politely pointed out that I could not afford the bus as I did not have a job and could not afford to run a car or motorbike for the same reason. I did not own a pedal cycle and would not feel safe riding one at my age so my only alternative was to walk and at a best speed of 4 mph that meant that eight miles to work was my limit. They didn't argue they just said that if I got a job I could afford it.

I remember applying for one that stated that own transport was required as it was in an industrial estate and the nearest bus stop was three miles away and only ran every hour. from eight am to eight pm after that there was no bus service at all.

Most jobs these days require that you have your own transport to get to and from the workplace and quite a few require a "clean" driving license.

As for the paddington house centre, for a few months there will be an increase in traffic. Will it be more than the traffic that was caused by people using the hotel for meals, do's or accommodation ?

For anyone interested the planning application reference is 2011-19239

You can currently make comment in support of/or against the planning application via the councils website (as with all applications). These comments will be registerd and noted to be taken into account during decision making process (allegidely).

Comment on application 2011-19239 (Proposed change of use of part of existing hotel to driving examiner's office) here

• 2 weeks later...

YIPPEE... while it is not going to be a Theory Test Centre too (so his lordship and everyone else still has to go to St Helens/Wigan to sit at a computer and click buttons:-( :( ... at least Warrington has now got it's Practical Driving Test Centre back at long last :D:D