Tax payers money spent on travellers

Nick Tessla

I've been gone almost forty years, so I'm a little confused about 'travellers'. I think they are akin to gypsies, but how did they become so powerful? Apparently they pay no taxes, they don't work and contribute nothing to society,so why are people bending over backwards to accomodate them? Can they work voodoo on ya or something?

I've been gone almost forty years, so I'm a little confused about 'travellers'. I think they are akin to gypsies, but how did they become so powerful? Apparently they pay no taxes, they don't work and contribute nothing to society,so why are people bending over backwards to accomodate them? Can they work voodoo on ya or something?

They now have the European Court of Human Rights to pander to their every wish and queues of solicitors and help groups all funded by legal aid (taxpayer) and the European superstate and supported by various lefty groups which think they should have equal rights.... beyond me.

Where are these 8 new pitches going to be and yes £70k per traveler caravan pitch sounds a massive amount considering developers could build actual houses for less than that for the more deserving.

Out of interest how many legal traveller type sites and pitches do we have in Warrington at the moment and where are they? How many does they government think we should have and why ?

I know about the long standing 'temporary' site at Walton near the canal and Walton Arms pub and the one at Grappenhall which was allowed on green belt land but are there any others anywhere and are there any in the more deprived and run down areas of the town.

Just wondered as it seems to me that travellers seem very careful and specicfic about where they want to lay their roots once they decide to become 'static' travellers ?

Perhaps it's just me. I new a number of "travellers" when I was growing up and got on well with the vast majority. These days, it seems that most want permanent sites, but not pay anything towards the community which they will be, physically, a part of. How do the "powers that be" define who is, in this manner, exempt from taxes, community charge, National Insurance....etc.? I would like to claim the same. <_<

I don't live too far from the Gorsey Lane site and I have never heard of any problems or incidents there. (not saying there has not been)

I do however feel uncomfortable with local authority's now effectively being forced to find suitable sites for travellers. I am off the opinion where if travellers wish to become settled in one area then they should integrate with the local community and pay rates like everyone else.

Also I fear areas will turn on other areas as they all argue amongst themselves where these sites are going. I'm sure plenty off NIMBY's will come out of the woodwork.

Baz. I agree with you. Why we are even tolerating this community angers me.

Maybe the real reason for all of this is so the government can finally tie these people down and stop them from "travelling" into parks etc and if they get them to settle maybe get them to pay tax.

Understandable people turning to NIMBY's but like I said they will go somewhere. I only fear some more affluent areas of towns will push the travellers to the less affluent areas. They won't be placed in a distant field somewhere, they will go on the local park or playing field or some natural beauty spot. Causing even more resentment.

Apparantly most if not all of the travellers have homes in Ireland, which are kept locked for most of the year while the owners 'work' in England.

The travellers only return home for Christenings, and Christmas

Basildon council are attempting to take possession of these homes to help pay for the costs involved in evicting travellers from Dale farm.

What poetic justice it would be if squatters were to take over those empty properties :wink:

I am not sure how this "tax excemption" works.

If a traveller :-

•  
  • Buys something from a shop, they pay added tax
  • Buys petrol from a garage, they pay VAT and fuel duty
  • Runs a car they pay a Vehicle Excise License
  • Buys cigarettes then they pay the duty on these
  • Lives in one of these provided sites then pays rent and council tax
  • Is subject to income tax, just like the rest of us

here is a link to some Gypsy "Myths and facts" :-

http://www.flintshire.gov.uk/wps/wcm/connect/378a450043bbef959be4ffefe5ba3caf/Gypsies%26+Travellers+English.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Regards

Obviously written by a Gypsy. :roll:

•Buys petrol from a garage, they pay VAT and fuel duty - not on red diesel

•Runs a car they pay a Vehicle Excise License - no they don't

•Buys cigarettes then they pay the duty on these - again no

•Lives in one of these provided sites then pays rent and council tax - what about the unauthorised sites

•Is subject to income tax, just like the rest of us - now you are having a laugh. Since when do you pay income tax on 'cash in hand'

As for breaking the law, by the time the summons arrives they have moved on.

Now I would never have guessed that Rod would have stuck up for travellers :wink: :wink: ..... lets hope when they come parking on your car park Rod, you continue to show such benevolence.... after all, they were trying to buy that place not far from you near Fordton at one time....

Better keep your gates locked!! :D

I'm sure on authorised sites they must either have to pay council tax or the owner pay business rates and collect rent of each unit.

I know on caravan parks (static and permanent toursers) you have to vacate your static unit or remove your tourer for a certain amount of weeks each year (usually the site shuts down) so as not to pay council tax but that is merely so you are not liable to pay twice BUT I think you also have to you show you have a permenant home too where you DO pay council tax. In addition on such sites the site owner will have to probably pay business rates which would/could compensate for council tax I guess. Maybe permenant traveller sites work in the same way :unsure:

As for the rest then surely there has to be a distinction between the travellers who just move around and appear from time to time and leave a trail of destruction behind them against the more settled ones so maybe what RodK said must be right in a way.

I know that many of those from the large and long standing Walton site round here certainly have car tax on their vehicles and also buy their cigs and food stuffs in the local shop where I go and they also use the same petrol station as I do so they are indeed paying the same taxes as me and others in that respect.

Maybe they could be using red diesel too but you don't buy that on a garage forecourt but I guess they could buy it and store it in their own tanks on site under the pretence that it is for their heating and top up from that every now an again :unsure: They would be in trouble if they were caught using it on a stop check though.

As for cash in hand jobs... well there are probably a lot of people in many trades doing just that so it's not just a traveller/gypsy issue and part of me wishes that I could work like that :oops:

In reality how can we blame travellers for living and working as they do as surely it's the fault of government legislation and of course the pc and human rights brigade as they are the ones who continue to allow them to do it !!

Little polite rant over :blink:

Ok... give me their name, email address or phone number and I will :?:D

Don't the council just send in their appointed big boy bailiffs like they do with normal businesses or homeowners who don't pay or fall behind on their council tax/business rate payments even if they are genuinely struggling to pay?

I guess I just probably answered my own question there and they do indeed just go for the easy targets who roll over and eventually bow down and pay the surplus charges etc eh which probably compensate for the others who simply 'wont'.