Planners?

observer

Seems WBC "PLANNERS" are recommending an "out of Town" Retail Development near LA Bowls; totally contrary to policy and not even a new Stadium to sweeten the pill! So more traffic pressure on the A49-Cromwell Ave Jct? And they wonder why the Town Centre is dying on it's feet! :roll:

Unanimously agreed on Thursday.

Not retail, food & drink outlets linked to existing leisure use (LA Bowl), in industrial units that have proved difficult to let, and will revamp the building on a main route in.

Against current policy, but new national framework would make it likely to be allowed on appeal if we refused.

Against current policy, but new national framework would make it likely to be allowed on appeal if we refused.

So as obs points out.... totally pointless policy in the first place then?

So after this, exactly what use IS the council and its councillors/officers when every time something gets blocked, an appeal gets it through?

Why can't we get successful appeals against issues that have already been given the OK?

Well at least the myth of the planning process being quasi-judicial and non-political, being based on long term policy development derived from extensive public consultation, can be put to bed. Here we have a transparent example of the reality of political expediency in such matters, and rather makes our recent discussion on the "Town Centre" topic futile and irrelevent. :angry:

The administration should show some backbone, Stevie boy.

Still not sure why the Labour council would actually be against this as their MP was so pleased about Decathlon's out of town development.

The administration should show some backbone, Stevie boy.

Still not sure why the Labour council would actually be against this as their MP was so pleased about Decathlon's out of town development.

Well, no one was against it. Storm in a teacup. It's not shops, so it's not what most people mean by "retail". Local policies have to reflect national policy and that's changing, and recent test cases mean you should take account of impending changes. And most applications that are against policy are turned down on policy grounds without going near the committee. This only came to the committee because it was up for approval despite the policy. No-one put in an objection - I'm afraid scattergun comments on this forum don't count as objections.

And if you mean by "showing backbone" that the committee should refuse something that would obviously win on appeal, then that's just costing everyone (not least you) time and money. It might be worth it on something of great importance but not to defend a "policy" that will soon be obsolete.

And to Baz's good question, "Why can't we get successful appeals against issues that have already been given the OK?" it's because the system is about controlling development but the presumption is still to allow it. So if you apply for consent, the Council needs good reason to refuse. The underlying presumption should be "yes", so the applicant gets to appeal. (Though I'd personally favour a mechanism for challenging a rogue "approval" short of judicial review. I know one Council that gave consent for a house on the bed of a disused canal where the route was supposedly "protected".)

It appears that there is something our Labour lords and masters want to keep us in the dark about, the proprosed sale of Fordton Leisure Centre

From the news pages

"Deputy leader of the borough council Mike Hannon is presenting a report to the executive board next week which recommends the centre ....... be sold when a new leisure centre opens as part of the Orford Park project in the spring.

The report does not indicate who the recommended purchaser is, for what purpose it would be used, or how much has been offered.

This information is contained in a confidential section of the report not made available to the public and press.Neither does the report indicate how many tenders were received from interested parties - although the recommended purchases is identified as "Tender E".

Cllr Hannon says in the report that the council is not obliged to accept the highest bid, or indeed any offer."

At the very least we should know if there have been any discussions about planning implications which may follow a succesful bid - perhaps Helen Jones could try and find out.

She might also ask Councillor Hannon about this quote from the report

"Pressure from local residents and/or adjoining landowners or objection to any planning applications could delay the sale process.

"This needs to be balanced with achieving a development that is appropriate for the site."

Those pesky residents - what are they like :blink:

I realise their defenders will shout "commercial confidentiality" - but surely the public,is entitled to know, at the very least what sort of developments are being proposed - e,g, retail, office, licenced premises, transport depot.

• 2 weeks later...

Without studying the idea (and this is the first I've heard of it) what strikes me is that a supermarket on the present Fordton site would, in fact, reduce the amount of traffic crossing Winwick Road on the way to ASDA Westbrook and Gemini. Just a thought. :wink:

I wouldn't image it will be a large supermarket as if they are putting a pub and a cafe there too there won't be a lot of space considering they will need suitable parking for all thress aswell .

My guess it will just be one of those convenient little tesco/sainsburys/spar/whatever type shops that pop up everywhere.

Still far better than another housing development though in my opinion but I don't live around there and maybe the local residents there would have preferred that if they had actually been asked.

Whatever it is to be though it will have to go through planning and seemingly before the purchaser pays up and dots the "i's" and crosses the "t's". People will be able to have their say then if they want to.

I did notice under the news story on here though that someone did mention there is already a shop and a pub near there so I bet they are not too pleased.

I think you're a bit wide of the mark Obs. There's a shopping centre at Honiton Way, but that's in Penketh. I don't believe there are any shops of note near to Fordton. Just saying. :wink:

There is the post office /local supermarket on Gough Avenue and also a few small shops and the cafe opposite St Stephens and the small local supermarket on Howson Road..... so there are already a few local businesses that may suffer as a result

Is it just me, or do I remember one of the arguments for closing the town centre baths being that there was a perfectly adequate alternative at Fordton?

I can't see any signs of a pool on the Orford Park plans, which leaves the town with Woolston (a "fun" pool - no use for serious swimmers) or a trip out to Great Sankey - a usually crowded pool as there is no reasonable alternative.

Our Victorian ancestors had the foresight to build a number of municipal pools to ensure that the population had the opportunity to increase their fitness and well-being. We are undoing all of that systematically, then complaining that most of the UK population are unfit and costing the NHS money!

Someone please explain the logic to me. :shock:

Over 100 people have objected to the proposed "home for travelling show people" at Stretton - interesting to see if it makes one iota of difference.

At least Steve Parish can't say that nobody objected.

With reference to the Fordton proposal it , of course , reduces the chances of people objecting if the council keeps the electorate in the dark for as long as they can.