Does Obs have a cousin?

Geoffrey Settle

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can take it DIZZY - he needs to let of a bit of steam from his Christmas Pudding after all the councillors he has had to deal with may be ....... maybe he'll stand next time and give thenm a run for their money.

Geoff.... I would love to stand; but the problem in this town is like any other.... unless you wear a red, blue or orange rosette you will get nowhere....

We had that woman Grotty.... her with the flat of convenience in Bewsey; who was using the town as a springboard to the house of commons and then we have the current old boys network of appointments etc.... they wouldn't want some independent gobby bloke like me in there stirring it all up and reporting to the papers every two minutes and exposing their little games!! :D

To be honest Geoff, even though I do sometimes appear to "pick" on you, I do admire what you do for your area; at least you get out and do what you say you will; unlike a lot of the Labour/tory/lib-dum bunch who are just in it for the allowances.... at least you stick around and fight your corner! :D

Thanks Baz J - I agree it would be difficult being an independent unless you got a couple of big campaigns going in your area of Warrington - even then the parties would probably ambush you. I have to be careful what I say on here as it's in e-print and can be used against me - especially ammunition before standards. Mind you on the SIX occasions that has been done I have been cleared with no case against me. How that must smart by those who are after me - but hey as one councillor put it 'that's Politics Geoff' - you have to be able to take the rough and the smooth as well as the threats - now the last time I wrote that I was told by the recipient not to do it again. Hey ho. No names no pack drill.

Maybe if you did join one of the main parties you could sort out the issues you mention from the inside. There are actually some nice councillors in all parties but then there are those that are not so nice and then there are the inbetweeners who blow hot and cold. It’s a regular melting pot. :mrgreen:

and how does that differ from your friends rein, Archie tells me that most people have a self interest - usually it is this self interest that interests and motivates them to stand as an elected member in the first place. For the younger ones may be they might see it as something that may help their career.

What should motivate a councillor? They get involved as you know for a myriad of reasons some good :P some not so good :twisted: . It takes all sorts.

Sadly, those with beliefs, convictions and principles are few and far between; and most lose them when they join the club. Basically for most, it's a little earner, keep your head down and put your hand up at the right time, to stay in favour: and for the more ambitious, it's the start of a career progression. :roll:

:lol: How can you be a computer consultant 'from time to time'. You are either one or you aren't :P

Good on you for giving your services for free though as that could count as volunteering should you ever need to apply for a real job :lol: and it may also give you a score on the door for any other academic courses you decided to follow.

If I wasn't aware who you are Geoff I'd think you were in your late teens. Good on you though for still trying to reach your desired goal at your ripe old age :lol::wink::P

I've never understood the term and I've even listened to Cameron's champion of the BS at a conference in London. The conference was full of Business Volunteers who being do VS for decades. None of us left any the wiser - Cameron is just trying to put a 'new label' on something thant's been taking place for ever - still no original ideas. :oops:

Pete what is this BS you and OBS are advocating and why is it new?