A Spike Milligan Limerick....

Bazj

Watching a "heroes of comedy" programme tonight about Spike Milligan and he came out with a limerick which had me in pleats of laughter... you have to read this out loud to appreciate how funny it is!

"There was a young man called Wyatt

Whose voice was incredibly quiet

And then one day,

it just faded away

Watching a "heroes of comedy" programme tonight about Spike Milligan and he came out with a limerick which had me in pleats of laughter... you have to read this out loud to appreciate how funny it is!

"There was a young man called Wyatt

Whose voice was incredibly quiet

And then one day,

it just faded away

One of our all time greats, I'm a avid fan of the "Goon shows".

It is said that Spikes epitaph reads -

"I told you I was Ill"

although he quipped about this during his life, the church would not allow this to be inscribed on his gravestone.

I too listened to all of Spike's antics on the Goon Show - what a marvelous thing Sunday afternoon radio was. I was also lucky enough to stumble on Spike's series of books about his life in the wartime army - 'Hitler, my part in his downfall' etc. His novel 'Puckoon' is hilarious.

I don't care what anyone says they don't make programs with that quality of humour today. I have the video 'Hitler My Part In His Downfall' somewhere, I shall have to find it and watch it. :D :grin:

I think I'll get over it Algy :wink::lol:

It's odd as there are only 2 years between me and my other half and he would be definately be on your side as he love stuff like that...and yet I just don't seem to see the real tear jerking funny side for some reason even though I have a much better and broader sense of humour.

probably because you watch Corrie and Eastenders and so have no idea about proper TV and proper entertainment!

Baz, you can't put an old head on young shoulders. I have found, with a few exceptions that the 'Goon Show' appeared to be a 'bloke' thing and in general was not much appreciated by the 'ladies' of our generation., perhaps if Cleo is watching she will give her opinion of the 'Goon Show'. :D

Dizzy, I never did like the goons. If anything I thought the show was too stupid to listen too but my dad always insisted on having it on and laughing all the way through. I could never understand why. :blink::unsure:

"I rest my case" M'lud'

Just goes to prove that us Fella's have a much greater humorous intellect than you Gal's, Hee! Hee! Hee! :D:wink: