Council Tax Referendum - how would you vote?

Nick Tessla

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you agree to an increase above 3.5%

• Yes
    • No

From the BBC news website

"Any local authority in England wanting to raise council tax by more than 3.5% next year must consult the public in a referendum, the government has said.

Under plans unveiled by Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles, councils losing a referendum would have to revert to a lower increase in bills."

If offered such a choice by Warrington Borough Council how would you vote?

Do turkeys vote for Xmas?! :unsure:

That's wearing a bit thin obs.

yes I would pay more, as the cost of everything goes up year in and year out. Not saying I would like it it.

If the net contributions didn't increase, what would we have in 10 years time? Would there even be a bin collection.

obs, you keep saying that if folk what things they have to pay more, so WHY the Turkey comment? :shock:

Because - the natural tendency of the majority of folk, is to expect more for less. When asked about service levels - they'll ask for high; but if asked about tax levels, they'll ask for low (at least for themselves!). You can either have low tax - low service economy or a high tax - high service economy; no such thing as a free lunch I'm afraid; and in the current climate of austerity, the choice has become quite stark. :shock:

Peter, you may say that "the cost of everything goes up year in and year out".... but my council tax has gone up year on year (and some years above inflation too) and yet the service I get never gets any better and in some instances gets worse....

Peter, you may say that "the cost of everything goes up year in and year out".... but my council tax has gone up year on year (and some years above inflation too) and yet the service I get never gets any better and in some instances gets worse....

Don't disagree, BUUT, blame the electorate. If they continue to put up with these rubbish councillors and NOT complain, things won't change.

The answer IMO, is to put up Council Tax just to maintain the status quo, and for every one to get on the backs of the cllrs AND outsiders who make the decisions. The last bit really annoys me, because most of them don't even live in Warrington Borough.

Looks like Cllr Settle and 3 of his mates have voted in favour of putting up council tax.... but now the normal, sensible people have put the poll result back to where it should be!! :D

OK so is that just a wild or educated guess on your part Baz as I can't see who has voted for what in polls so there's no way you can either :P:lol:

I hae only just seen this thread.

Thanks for clarifying what Bazj wrote Dizzy - I was puzzled - it didn't make sense to me as I haven't voted in any poll about council tax.

I thought that young Eric had put a freeze on the Council Tax.

I didn't know that Nick's Coalition Government were proposing a 3.5% rise in council tax - has their been a split between the Toris and LibDems on this issue :unsure: ?

duh.... it was a joke everybody.... I don't know that Geoff and 3 of his mates voted really; but as he is a serving councillor, I was jokingly pointing out that he would be the most likely to vote for a rise so he and his fellow councillors would have more of our money to waste on things like traffic lights and skittles.... :D

Given that household disposable income is projected to fall over the next few years, isn't it wrong for councils to expect an annual increase in their own income stream? :wink: :wink: :wink:

duh.... it was a joke everybody.... I don't know that Geoff and 3 of his mates voted really; but as he is a serving councillor, I was jokingly pointing out that he would be the most likely to vote for a rise so he and his fellow councillors would have more of our money to waste on things like traffic lights and skittles.... :D

Make allowances for your audience Baz. :wink: