Where was this !

arty69uk

You sod Algy .... you knew I wouldn't be able to resist :P

Wasn't easy though with no name and and the fact that China Lane only has numbers 3, 5, 7 and 9 on it it 1901 and I can't find the road at all in 1891 not can I find Waterloo House in it's own right on the 'other establishments' pages.

Anyway I did manage to find your man the Chief Clerk... He was called Erasmus Jones Smith and was born in Wales in 1861.

He is shown on the 1911 census as Living in China Lane with his wife and daughter although the property is not named or numbered. However the original census image of the return he himself filled in does show him as living at Waterloo House, Wilderspool, Warrington.

In 1901 he lived at 201 Knutsford Road and he was employed as the Chief Clerk then too.

Spookly bit... on the same page were a few familiar names which suddenly caught my eye...he lived 3 doors from my great grandma and grandad :unsure:

In 1891 he lived at 69 Knutsford Road and he was a book kpper.

Anyway.... all that was your fault Algy and of course Peter's too for asking the question. :lol:

Dizz, well done! 1906, was when he was living in Waterloo House, China Lane.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place... and you could have mentioned his name too rather than make me find it. :blink:

Anyway back to canals and barges..... the two things that you'd best stay away from incase I spot you :lol::P

Had a good chuckle there Dizz, :lol: you little so and so, you remembered me saying I can't swim!, didn't you!, we had been out this afternoon and when we returned I looked up Mr Jones Smith and found the date. Sorry my love. :wink::lol: :lol:

Took Mrs Algy round Greenalls avenue again, as she was moaning about not being able to see anything the other day due to the dark glasses she was wearing. :D

I do have a rather good memory eh ? :lol:

Gosh you certainly know how to treat Mrs A though Algy with all these trips out. I can just imagine you saying 'come on love, grab yer coat and lets get out for a bit and go somewhere picturesque '.....(without mentioning the words 'building site' and 'sewers') :lol:

How on earth does Mrs A put up with you .... :lol:

Anyway poor Middlec must be getting a tad frustrated with me now as must Arty as once again I am making a topic wandering off a little bit before coming back into line.

It can be the norm on here Middlec but please don't be put off as we (ok I mean 'I') do get back on track again eventually :oops:

Algy,

My uncle Ernie Abel (Of the Abel boatbuilding family and father in law of Brian Darlington)used to sail boats along here in the very early days of the canal....

Another of my ancestros was one of the first recorded drownings in the ship canal!!

Baz,not directly asscociated with the topic in hand but as you mentioned your uncle Ernie Abel sailing the Old Quay 'cut' and Abels boat yard, I thought you may be interested in this article from the site "Cheshire Memories". If Lew Darlington is the chap I new from Castner Kellners, he was a rigger and had been a prisoner of war and served in The Tank Corps at Tobruk where he was captured, but escaped and made his way back home.

Anyway the topic is about the MSC and Old Quay and both touched Warrington and Runcorn. :wink:

Credit to Cheshire Memories & Runcorn And Widnes Weekly News.

http://blogs.chesterchronicle.co.uk/cheshire-memories/

Runcorn Memories: A money-spinning idea in Dukesfield

By Runcorn And Widnes Weekly News on Dec 15, 09 09:38 AM in 1900-1999

ALMOST everyone, who at some time or other lived 'under the arches' in Runcorn's Dukesfield, retained memories of their own little adventures among the canalside community.

The rows and rows of terraced houses (all the street names were in some way connected to the Duke of Bridgewater's imprint on the area) were home to several generations of Dukesfielders.

------------------------------------------------

True, there was always the ever- present danger of canal tragedies but in the main there was so much going on that all the youngsters were able to entertain themselves.

The playground, sandwiched between Old Coach Road and Percival Lane, was the regular venue for hours of Sunday morning football.

In the canalside community itself, ships and boats, large and small, were constantly passing by, ocean-going vessels travelling to all parts of the world. Such was the huge number of 'big fellas' that you had only to look out of your bedroom window to spot one at almost any time of the day. The big ships were literally a stone's throw away.

--------------------------------------------------

Lew Darlington, who was particularly interested in the piece about the old boatyards which appeared here couple of week ago, knew Abel's boatyard pretty well. To get there, they had to go through the 'white gates' at the bottom of Collier Street which led straight on to No Man's Land and the Manchester Ship Canal offices.

The boatyard was a few yards the other side of the railway bridge.

"Who will ever forget their mothers telling them not to go through the white gates because of the risk of going too near the canal embankment," he writes.

"Our Dukesfield gang knew all about the boatyard and the large wooden workshop, virtually fronting No Man's Land, close to Castle Rock.

"One day, being inquisitive, we found ourselves inside the workshop.

"The area round the workshop was patrolled by a solitary watchman. There was a wooden office, tools and a loft full of wood."

Lew recalls that someone had a brainwave and they decided to chop up the wood and sell it round Dukesfield for threepence a bundle.

"Saws and axes appeared from various backyards and out came our trolleys made from planks of wood and old pram wheels.

"We went round the streets, knocking on doors, and found that people could not get enough of the wood. "Orders were placed and soon our little empire was expanded, taking in the Waterloo Road area.

"The only time the work stopped was at night when the watchman came round.

"Most of the time he simply passed by but occasionally came into the workshop.

"However, we all had great hiding places, such as the loft, and nooks and crannies behind cupboards and other furniture.

"As the wood disappeared, we started on the loft, ripping up the floors.

"Next to go was a hut, including parts of the floor.

"Then, one day, the watchman came in.

"He stood there, scratching his head and looking round.

"Suddenly, he saw one of us because there was no longer sufficient places to hide.

"About 15 of us, all kids, ran in all directions, making our bid for freedom. The poor watchman did not stand a chance of catching us.

"That night, the money we had made was shared out and I lived for weeks on sixpenny 'mixes' from the chippy, washed down with various liquids."

Thanks for the story, Lew.

Incidentally, I remember the big workshop quite well from my own days as a schoolboy.

The workshop was black all over, heavily coated in something - was it tar or bitumen paint? If you have any memories send them through to the Newsdesk

• Upvote 1

I was given a copy of this today ... It shows a barge unloading/loading at what must be Naylor's Timber Yard at the entrance the Walton Lock/Dock inlet from the Manceshter Ship Canal.

No idea of a date though sorry and I've had to tweak it a little to remove the cup stain <_<

WarringtonDockorWaltonLockEntranceTimberYardBarge.jpg

Took Mrs Algy round Greenalls avenue again, as she was moaning about not being able to see anything the other day due to the dark glasses she was wearing. :D

Must be great being married to you algy! Mrs algy has some exciting days out with you."Come on luv. I'll take you to see the sewer pipes being dug up!" :blink::unsure::lol:

Must be great being married to you algy! Mrs algy has some exciting days out with you."Come on luv. I'll take you to see the sewer pipes being dug up!" :blink::unsure::lol:

Listen Cleo, when your married to me it's a case of the old saying "When I shout Sh*t, ---- she does exactly as she pleases" :wink::D