WWII MSC Shipping

algy

WWII Shipping in the Manchester Ship Canal during the latter stages of the war.

Liberty ships in Manchester docks, note the bow mounted gun.

MSC_Victory_Ship.jpg

MSC_Victory_Ship_2.jpg

MSC_View_from_Grain_elevator.jpg

WW2_Manchester_Ship_Canal.jpg

In wartime camouflage with the funnel top section and mast sections having been removed at Eastham to enable clearance to pass beneath railway bridges during transit of the canal.

ManchesterDocksduringWWII.jpg

Oil tankers unloading at Stanlow oil refinery dock.

Stanlow_Oil_Dock.jpg

Algy Fantastic photos is there a chance I may put 2 of these photos in our tribute to the M.S.C. on the 30th January 2012 at the Halton Town Hall I'm sure the councilors would be very interested ..cheers art.

arty, use them with pleasure. I am adding another six as I am sure you will be able to use these, all these on this topic were given to me by an ex MSC employee on a cd, I have a collection of MSC tugs photos some of early paddle tugs, let me know if you require any.

MSC Company Launch - the "Silver Arrow".

CompanyLaunch-SilverArrow.jpg

MSC Tug - "Dovedale".

5255583696_7eca3cc4fe_o.jpg

MSC Tug - "Walton".

5252108017_3b018f1fa3_o.jpg

MSC Tug - Lymm towing a barge on the Bridgewater canal by "Piggeries Bridge" at Walton.

5252107103_8c56978c06_o.jpg

MSC Tug "Preston" sunk at Astmoor Feb. 1947. She was holed in the bow while ice breaking.

5252707360_1c548c4299_o.jpg

Very early picture of Mode Wheel on the Manchester Ship Canal.

Mode_Wheel.jpg

Algy .many thanks The Dukers are a wonderful forgotten past of the Bridgewater canal.I will put them on the Bridgewater tribute at the same venue..may I say the M.S.C. is my pet subject and the main reason is I build model tugs and sail them at various Bridgewater events with our Runcorn & District Scale model Boats club. I'll put a photo on when I can.. I will always accept photos of any tugs ..once again many thanks art.

6461988651_fe942b1c02_b.jpg

IMG_0143 Mount Manisty at 154 tons was acquired by M.S.C. 1926 she was broken up in 1961

6461985045_39a20e6ac6_b.jpg

IMG_0144 Mount Manisty She was named Mount Manisty after the hill opposite Bowaters Paper Mill Ellesmere port The hill was made of the rubble from the digging of the Canal and was named after an Irish boss in charge of gang of navies he was noted as being a good man..

6461981697_6746348746_b.jpg

IMG_0156 Mount Manisty

• Upvote 1

Algy Scratch built in 8 months..if it gives you pleasure I'll put some other models I have made..cheers art.

Get them on here Arty, you too Baz!, The missus says I'm just a big kid at heart and never grown up, that's rubbish!, got to go now as some of my mates have come round and I'm going to play out now, Tommy's got a new case ball and were going to Vicky' Park. :D :grin:

ps. couple more MSC pics arty, someone has misspelled Mount Manisty (Manistry) and the other of "Old Quay Bottom Yard" dated around 1960 as you can see one of the cranes on the building of the 'New' bridge to the left of picture.

MSCMountManisty.jpg

0060_MSCtugsattheBottomYardRuncorn.jpg

Am I right in thinking the 'new bridge' in the last photo refers to the Runcorn/Widnes bridge? If so, there appears to be a bit of the old Transporter Bridge in the photo as well. The last working Transporter Bridge in the country is alive and well in Middlesbrough and celebrated it's 100th birthday last week.

Am I right in thinking the 'new bridge' in the last photo refers to the Runcorn/Widnes bridge? If so, there appears to be a bit of the old Transporter Bridge in the photo as well. The last working Transporter Bridge in the country is alive and well in Middlesbrough and celebrated it's 100th birthday last week.

We also have a Transporter ....in need of referbishment! and it still works.. Algy will tell us how old it is !!!!

I thought it had gone. By the way, I am still part of 'we.' Warrington born and bred and very proud of it.

First Crosfields transporter 1904/5 then in 1914/15 they replaced it with a larger version to carry rail traffic up to 18 tons, 1940 it was modified to carry road traffic and again in 1950 to increase the load carrying capacity to 30 tons

1904/5 bridge.

1904ThefirstCrosfieldsTransporterrepacedin1914.jpg

Great photos of the tug & ship arty nice finish on them too.

Dizz the model I made was a static one of a narrowboat no where near the standard of arty's working models.

Teeside, yes that is the new road bridge and the old transporter.

I thought it had gone. By the way, I am still part of 'we.' Warrington born and bred and very proud of it.

Never thought you was not..and its fantastic you keep in touch..Been across the transporter many times ..did you have a celebration party on the transporter ! ..I aways had a good time around Middlesbough we had a depot nr the ICI factory O" memories..cheers art.

Never thought you was not..and its fantastic you keep in touch..Been across the transporter many times ..did you have a celebration party on the transporter ! ..I aways had a good time around Middlesbough we had a depot nr the ICI factory O" memories..cheers art.

Worked at ICI Billingham for a short time involved in the running of an overhaul, stayed at the Billingham Arms next to the Forum theatre,had some great 'boozy' nights when the cast finished and came into the bar, Matthew Kelly tormented the life out of one of our planners nocking on his door in the middle of the night, however that's a story for another time!

Strangely enough I've never been on it myself, although I have climbed partway up it (to persuade someone else to come down). However I did go on the Runcorn/Widnes one as a small boy.

• 5 weeks later...

I believe that the Warrington transporter bridge would still be in working order if properly maintained. When I was supervisor for the local CityLink, there were a couple of drivers who remembered using it for deliveries...and they were younger than me, before anyone thinks of disparaging remarks! :)

Re Middlesborough Transporter Bridge cant understand how you never went on it Teessidewire if you lived in the area. Mind you my main mission on it was to get fom "The Captain Cook" to either Port Clarence or Seal Sands after a hefty lunch. It look great when then put the lights on it for Christmas