How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

algy

All failed or broken low energy light bulbs and fluorescent tubes should be disposed of in a responsible manner and should NOT be placed with household waste,there are dedicated disposal containers at waste disposal sites, also do not breath the powder/dust from broken tubes or bulbs, as has been stated there is mercury present in these items, for specific information visit this site:-

http://www.recycle-more.co.uk/lowenergybulb/BulbHome.aspx

:lol::lol: Phew you got me worried there Algy and I was just re-reading the posts :lol:

Wish I'd seen your link earlier though as I picked the bigger bits up with my bare hands (no rubber gloves) and put them in a dog poop bag.... which then went in the bin (and the link says NOT to put them in the bin :unsure: and like I say I then hooevered all the tiny bits up... and the link says do NOT use a hoover (they have the 'not' in bold capitals )

This here mercury dust.... can you see it as it could still be all over the settee, table and carpet. :shock: I've had a bubbly headache all day too in one spot could that be mercury dust. (it's probably more to do with paint though I guess :lol: )

Ahh well if we do survive it at least we now know for next time. I must remember to ask my son if they have been told all this at college too.

Thanks Algy et al (I think !!) :D

OMG Asp I've got 4 fillings... mercury overload for me for sure now :shock::blink::lol:

Is this still in the right section by the way or does it need moving or splitting. ....... PJ what do you recon :wink::lol::P

Don't worry about it Dizz, the amount of mercury that you released into the atmosphere wont harm you, let's face it most of us used to play with it when we were kids, as Asp said the majority of people have tooth fillings made up of a mercurial amalgam made from a mixture of mercury, silver, tin and copper, the dental profession had one of the highest suicide rates in the country and it was thought that it was due to their constantly handling mercury in the course of their working life. Unless you have the following symptoms you are perfectly safe:-

tremors;

emotional changes (e.g., mood swings, irritability, nervousness, excessive shyness);

insomnia;

neuromuscular changes (such as weakness, muscle atrophy, twitching);

headaches;

disturbances in sensations;

changes in nerve responses;

So Dizz in future dispose of your low energy light *bulbs in a safe and environmentally way.

*strictly speaking they are not bulbs, bulbs are planted in the ground, the objects that you fit into light fittings are 'Lamps'. :wink::D

[quote name='algy' Unless you have the following symptoms you are perfectly safe:-

tremors;

emotional changes (e.g., mood swings, irritability, nervousness, excessive shyness);

insomnia;

neuromuscular changes (such as weakness, muscle atrophy, twitching);

headaches;

disturbances in sensations;

changes in nerve responses;

Otherwise, you may soon be dead or, alternatively, you are going through the menopause! :oops::unsure::lol:

just keep an eye on your height. if you get taller when you get warm then you know you have a mercury overdose. :mrgreen:

just looking at the safety info on an energy saving package. the one i am reading is a 23watt (103 watt equivalent) 1450 lumen and contains 4.5mg off mercury. No information on how to dispose of it though. :angry: