SPOTY

AdrianR

Top Ten announced yesterday.

No football or rugby players and no women. The latter has apparenlty caused a bit of a kerfuffle.

Top ten are:

Mark Cavendish (cycling), Darren Clarke (golf), Alastair Cook (cricket), Luke Donald (golf), Mo Farah (athletics), Dai Greene (athletics), Amir Khan (boxing), Rory McIlroy (golf), Andy Murray (tennis), Andrew Strauss (cricket).

My vote would be for the flying Manxman or Mo F.

The isle of man is a self governing dependent territory of the crown it is NOT a part of the UK.

Glad to be of service :D

They pay for a British TV license, and are part of Great Britain. I don't think the award is the UKSPOTY is it? It's the BBC sports personality of the year.

Glad to be of service there, now what about the tax exile bit?

They pay for a British TV license, and are part of Great Britain. I don't think the award is the UKSPOTY is it? It's the BBC sports personality of the year.

Glad to be of service there, now what about the tax exile bit?

Oh dear - here we go, Geography again - Great Britain is the largest island in the British Isles consisting of the mainlands of England, Wales and Scotland. The Isle of Man is not joined to it (hence the isle bit).

Now we've got that out of the way, yes they do pay for a TV licence, however I am still of the opinion that the award should be restrictded to UK citizens.

My remarks about tax exiles was not aimed at any particular individual.

It's getting quite terchnical this so here is a UK definition:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a country in western Europe, and a member of the European Union. Usually known simply as the United Kingdom, as the UK or, inaccurately, as Great Britain or Britain, the UK has four constituent parts. Three of these parts England, Wales and Scotland, are often considered countries or nations in their own right. The fourth is Northern Ireland and its border with the Republic of Ireland is the current limit of UK sovereignty in the island of Ireland.

The UK was formed by a series of Acts of Union which united the countries or territories of England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland (the island) under a single government in London. The greater part of Ireland left the United Kingdom (then called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland) in 1922, and is today the Republic of Ireland, whilst the north-eastern portion of the island, Northern Ireland, remains part of the United Kingdom.

The UK is situated off the north-western coast of continental Europe. The country has a land border with the Republic of Ireland but is otherwise surrounded by the North Sea, the English Channel, the Irish Sea and the Atlantic Ocean.

Great Britain, now sometimes called simply Britain, is the geographical name for the largest island in the British Isles, and includes the mainland nations of England, Wales and Scotland, sometimes also including their islands. Additionally, the media as shorthand for the United Kingdom regularly use "Britain". The term "Great" is used in opposition to "Little" Britain or Brittany in France (the '-ny' ending being diminutive).

The British Isles is sometimes used to describe an archipelago of islands including Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Orkney, the Hebrides, Shetland Islands, Channel Islands and others. However the term is not used in Ireland because it was sometimes understood internationally to mean "the islands belonging to Britain", a description out of date in the Irish case since 1922. An alternative Islands of the North Atlantic (IONA) is sometimes used.

Also sometimes associated with the United Kingdom, though not constitutionally part of the United Kingdom itself, are the Crown dependencies (the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey, and the Isle of Man) as self-governing possessions of the Crown, and a number of overseas territories under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom

Hope this helps :mrgreen: but somehow I don't think it will but quite educational.