Photos of Crosby Beach

algy

Oh! That's the man stood in the water! Duh! :blink::oops:

Hee, Hee!! :wink:

Borrowed from Sefton Council's web page.

Antony Gormley's Another Place

Iron Man on BeachAnother Place consists of 100 cast-iron, life-size figures spread out along three kilometers of the foreshore, stretching almost one kilometre out to sea. Contractors spent three weeks lifting the figures into place and driving them into the beach on the-metre-high foundation piles.

The artwork has been brought to the area by South Sefton Development Trust, a new organisation set up by South Sefton Partnership to continue its regeneration work in the area.

The project has received support from Mersey Waterfront programme, the Northwest Regional Development Agency, the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company and the Arts Council. The project is also included in the 'Welcome to the North' Programme, a Public Art Initiative funded by the Northern Way.

Development Trust chiefs say that Another Place has already attached a huge amount of interest in the area with large numbers of people - including families and school parties - visiting the beach to see the statues.

In addition, the artwork has generated extensive coverage of South Sefton in both the press and broadcast media.

The Another Place figures - each one weighing 650 kilos - are made from casts of the artist's own body and are shown at different stages of rising out of the sand, all of them looking out to sea, staring at the horizon in silent expectation.

The work is seen as a poetic response to the individual and universal sentiments associated with emigration - sadness at leaving, but the hope of a new future in another place.

The artwork is being exhibited in the UK for the first time. It has been previously been seen in Cruxhaven in Germany, Stavanger in Norway and De Panne in Belgium. In November 2006 the statues were expected to move to New York but after a successful appeal they will now permanently remain.

I remember the publicity when these statues were put in situ but it had slipped my mind when algy posted his photos but restored when Bill posted his.

"The Another Place figures - each one weighing 650 kilos - are made from casts of the artist's own body...."

Such being the case then all I can say about him is he is a fine figure of a man -but maybe a little bit challenged in a certain area. :wink::oops::lol::lol::lol:

I remember the publicity when these statues were put in situ but it had slipped my mind when algy posted his photos but restored when Bill posted his.

"The Another Place figures - each one weighing 650 kilos - are made from casts of the artist's own body...."

Such being the case then all I can say about him is he is a fine figure of a man -but maybe a little bit challenged in a certain area. :wink::oops::lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps it was a very cold day and the central heating had 'conked' out in the studio when the cast was made, although I suppose the pattern could have been modified as it would have been handy to hang your towel on while bathing. :wink: