Noise nuisance?

observer

On a specific question of noise - fireworks, I admit to a feelig of cynicism when the local police were pontificating about it being illegal to let off fireworks after a particular time. It has been relatively quiet this year but previously there have been regular incidents of firewroks going off at 1, 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning. Have any of those morons ever been prosecuted?

I very much doubt it NickT and I don't think making it illegal would make/has made a blind bit of difference anyway as how could they prove who actually set them off ?

Like you say it was quieter than usual around here too this year. Maybe people are just going to arranged displays or don't have as much money to waste these days.

I hope the idiots aren't saving them all for new years eve :angry:

I very much doubt it NickT and I don't think making it illegal would make/has made a blind bit of difference anyway as how could they prove who actually set them off ?

Like you say it was quieter than usual around here too this year. Maybe people are just going to arranged displays or don't have as much money to waste these days.

I hope the idiots aren't saving them all for new years eve :angry:

Dizzy - it's not a question of making it illegal to set them off after a certain time - it is already illegal to set them off after a certain time - with some variations for certain dates. or do you mean making it illegal at anytime?

I would certainly be supportive of the restricting their sale to properly licenced operators who could only set them off at authorised events.

Dizzy - it's not a question of making it illegal to set them off after a certain time - it is already illegal to set them off after a certain time - with some variations for certain dates. or do you mean making it illegal at anytime?

Sorry NickT I misread your ealoer post and thought that you meant not being able to set them off at any other time ie other that Bonfire Night and New year etc :oops::lol:

Sorry NickT I misread your ealoer post and thought that you meant not being able to set them off at any other time ie other that Bonfire Night and New year etc :oops::lol:

Fair enough - probably my fault I typed with a strong accent :blink: . (Actually you may have seen, from another post I do feel they should only be sold to licenced individuals for authorised displays)

Talking of fireworks, you don't know how lucky you are in the Uk. Here fireworks are a part of wedding celebrations - and there is somebody getting married on most days of the year. :blink:

On the subject of noise, these are extracts from real complaints sent to a council's housing office. Maybe they should have been included in the jokes section but just couldn't resist posting them here (considering the subject)......

Lady complaining about DIY repairs next door:

"He has got this huge tool that vibrates the whole house and I just can't take it any more."

Noisy neighbours:

"... and their 18 year old son is continually banging his balls against my fence."

"I want to complain about the farmer across the road; every morning at 6 a.m. his cock wakes me up and it's now getting too much for me."

"I am a single woman living in a downstairs apartment and would you please do something about the noise made by the man on top of me every night."

My cousins daughter lives on Long Lane and a few times during the last couple of weeks, she and her kids have been woken up by the Police helicopter hovering overhead for up to half an hour at a time.....

Not sure if anyone has ever heard one of these things hovering at quite a low level, but the noise is horrendous...

No wonder the cops don't want to get involved when they are making noise themselves!

I'm sure they are not just doing it to make noise Baz.

We get them around here quite a lot but usually in the daytime and a little further over so not too bad. Have had one overhead at night though and wow they are noisy but I'd rather put up with that and know they are looking for 'whoever'.

Funny story though when the local shop near my brother home was broken into one night some years ago. He was fast asleep in his loft room and suddenly woke with a fright. The chopper was right overhead and very low searching all the nearby gardens with its light.

Not so good when you are sleeping in a loft room with velux windows in the roof to see the stars. He said not only was the noise horrendous but it nearly blinded him when he opened his eyes and he thought it was an alien invasion and he was about to be beamed up into their spaceship :lol:

The topic was about, what to do in an emergency (say at a week-end), when the problem is acute; the Council don't appear to have any emergency response system. However, the Env Health Dept, are fairly good once you ring them on the Monday morning; a warning letter goes out to the alleged offender, which normally does the trick for the future. :wink:

There's beena program on a few times this week (mid morning) about noise nuisance and it has been following noise inspectors dealing with various issues.

However, it does seem that the inspector has to hear the noise for himslef before he can actually take matters further and issue letters where appropriate.