NEET Solution?

Geoffrey Settle

I noticed this topic at the start of the month which turned into a Polish bashing thread and but could have explored how to get NEETs into work

Seems Warrington is among the blackspots for NEETs; with 25% od 18-24yr olds - Not in Employment Education or Training; presumably trying to survive on the pitance of the dole and/or the bank of Mom and Dad. Assuming these kids are willing to get out of bed in the morning and put a days work in; maybe places could be found at places like Woolston Grange, by turfing all the Poles out?! :unsure:

Having worked briefly with NEETs at the Norris Green centre that featured on Children in Need last week BBC linkI experienced some of the challenges that they face and kicking Poles out of Woolston Grange as Observer suggests is not the answer.

We have to look at the underlining problems that cause NEETs and not kill off the support network.

I was involved in a short project over Easter 2010. It wasn't too successful for a numbe of reasons but it taught us so much about some of the NEET issues that the youths faced. Simply getting them to the centre was a mamouth task. Once there keeping them focused was extremely difficult. Then there were the many issues that they brought with them.

It was a huge learning experience for me but this year, in a different environment in Warrington, I was able to apply some of the things I learnt. It was still a huge challenge.

In my view there is no short term fix and cutting back on services and support from the likes of Connexions is not the answer. Employers taking on NEETs need assistance and support. Often they will not even realise that they need.

Geoff....

If the low skilled, low paid or "entry level" jobs ARE being filled by people from the Eastern block countries; which many are, make no mistake about that, how do you find or create the jobs for the NEETS you are trying to help?

When you lot can come up with a sensible question I might attempt to pass comment, but I think thatI might just be waiting a long long time. :roll:

I thought I asked a pretty sensible question

Geoff....

If the low skilled, low paid or "entry level" jobs ARE being filled by people from the Eastern block countries; which many are, make no mistake about that, how do you find or create the jobs for the NEETS you are trying to help?

Geoff... the floodgates were opened to countless foreign workers who are now taking the jobs off the very people that you are trying to help .... or are you telling me this isn't happening

I just think you are adopting the typical politician stance of not dealing with the real issues; but merely papering over the cracks in the hope that something will turn up before the cracks show through again

What needs to be addressed are the underlying problems of why NEETs are disengaged, don't feel that they have a chance aren't motivated and don't have the basic skills? Stupid comments by Observer are simply that.

Your comments Baz about foreign workers coming to this country to take up jobs are the symptoms and not in my opinion the underlying issue. People are coming here because there are jobs we need to make sure that NEETs can take on those jobs. We have to give our youngsters a chance and put things in place to help them, be it training, work experience, apprenticeships etc but we also need to help local companies take them on.

It's not easy but for example withdrawing support from the likes of Connexions is not the way forward.

According to an article I read last week, employers find that the foreigners have a better work ethic than the natives. Change the attitude of parents, schools and society in general and you might get a result. NOT forgetting Governments, political correctness and human rights.

I would suggest Geoff, that you asked for opinions. If you don't like the answers, you shouldn't ask as you have been on this Forum long enough to know how things work.

My previous comment was about the fact that the posters on here have a couple of employees only, as far as I am aware.

Pete if you don't like my threads on here then don't reply to them!

There are many empolyers who read to the posts on here - they are SMEs and Large Companies alike not just those who post on here but thanks for expanding your original reply and offering more to the debate as I agree with your latest comments :wink:

Geoff... I agree with your sentiments, but the training should be geared up at school; not after the kids have left and can't find a job. They should be looking to train to leave school with a job to go to if possible.

The "foreign workers" angle is just another problem because you will get older (early twenties) Eastern Europeans heading over here who some employers seeas a more "sensible and grown up" age group than school kleavers; plus the bonus is that many of them will work for minimum wage because it is a heck of a lot more than they get back home for similar jobs.

The game has changed now we are in the EU.... the problem is that the likes of connexions and schools are still too slow in realising that.

I agree with you about schools and that is where I have been working earlier in the year.

I am an associate for a enterprise charity but as funds are finding it more difficult to win funding to finance the work. Everyone is competing for a smaller pot of money. But as we are enterprising we are constantly changing and thinking of new approaches. :mrgreen:

But as we are enterprising we are constantly changing and thinking of new approaches.

Geoff.... you have to get schools off this obsession that every child is capable of going to university.... they ain't!!

There are some kids who aren't up to more academic learning and should be encouraged to be the next mechanic, plumber and electrician not told that the degree in "computer aided cornflake packet design" is worth 4 years at university

Pete if you don't like my threads on here then don't reply to them!

There are many empolyers who read to the posts on here - they are SMEs and Large Companies alike not just those who post on here but thanks for expanding your original reply and offering more to the debate as I agree with your latest comments :wink:

On your first point, I thought that this was an open forum where people could say what they thought and give their twopennyworth. :shock:

Do you have any stats to support your comment that "many" employees read the posts? I am sure that we would all be interested to know and revise our narrow minded viewpoint? And I bet Gary would be dead chuffed.