Getting the young back to work -

observer

A £1billion scheme, which replaces (in name only) a previous Labour scheme, to get youngsters into jobs, has been launched by the Gov. It appears to consist of a £2,000 subsidy to employers to take on a youngster, BUT only for 8 weeks. As Alan Sugar says, it seems fairly obvious that employers can sack a youngster after the 8 weeks, take on another and get another £2,000 - and he's an employer! :roll:

Listened to an Australian economist (Steve Keen) - difficult to follow the complex theory he's pushing, but basically he's of the minority Minsky school of economics, which basically argues that we're stuck in this mess for the next few decades, unless some radical changes are made to the current capitalist model. IE: writing off personal debt, letting the Banks go under and nationalising the financial system. A rather frightening and depressing picture I'm afraid, and the economic malaise will in his opinion, give rise to political and social upheavals. So if he's at all right, Governments need to wake up and smell the coffee, if things are to be put back on track. :(

National Service with a difference.

Join the RN, RAF or Army for 2 years and be taught skills like Mechanics, Electrics, Navigation, Construction, Engineering and so on. (it is a big list) The young person can choose.

That will give the young folk a qualification to take back home with them and add to there skills. Plus a whole other range of benefits for society and the young person.

Join the RN, RAF or Army for 2 years and be taught skills like Mechanics, Electrics, Navigation, Construction, Engineering and so on. (it is a big list) The young person can choose.

Yeah, 'cos it's dead easy to get into, and the thousands of vacancies they have will sort the youth unemployment problem at a stroke.

And wot dizzy sed.

This is the old YTS scheme with (some very quiet) bells and whistles.

If it's not just going to be a way for employers to get labour on the cheap, it needs to be tied to some recognised training standards.

simple answer is to get people to retire at 60 instead of sixty five and create vacancies for the young people to fill.

Problem is that the government can't afford the pensions and want people to work until they are 65 or longer so that they will be able to afford the pension but this means that there are fewer vacancies due to retirement for the younger people to fill.

still there's always the X- factor to bail them out. :roll:

added: this may be the problem but I have no idea what the solution is at present

simple answer is to get people to retire at 60 instead of sixty five and create vacancies for the young people to fill.

A one size doesn't fit all solution I'm afraid. For example I could retire tomorrow (I am 60) but my job would be filled by anyone but a British (or even necessarily EU) citizen. My retirement wouldn't even create a space for a young apprentice at the bottom of the tree. Sad but true :| :neutral: :|

Pierre, as the country with the largest population in the world, it rather follows that they (the Chinese) will have the largest Army in the world, and a technological capability to go with it. But I doubt they need to use it offensively (with the exception of Taiwan and the China Sea); as they appear to be conquering the world economically anyway. Such that we (and thus our young folk), will never be able to compete with their low end industries and wages. What we must hope for, is that our education system becomes fit for purpose, by turning out the high tech capabalities that will keep us ahead of the innovation game. Meanwhile, a massive civil engineering programme (yes with borrowed money and higher taxes), to update our infrastructure EG: communications networks, transport network, energy supply (hydro-electric dams and estuary barriers etc), efficient water supply and sewerage systems; and social housing (of the planned 4,000 new build in the N/West, none have been built as yet). Unless the economy is stimulated to create growth, this unfortunate generation will languish on the dole, and their resentment will provide fertile ground for alternate political solutions or for criminal activity. :(

Excuse me W/boy, but arn't they making military personel redundant at the moment? :unsure: Much better to give them proper training in the skills that our industries require, which in some cases may start with the three Rs. :blink:

You’re excused.

Yes there are redundancies at the moment but, if National Service is re-introduced the investment will be put into the MOD. Hence no redundancies.

The Armed Forces have always traditionally struggled for manpower. Only recently have the redundancies happened.

Today's headline about an unfortunate old lady in Oldham just further justifies to my self that NS should happen. And as you say the youth of today will become "resentful" and "resort to criminal activity" and "alternative political solutions" under the current climate.

Most "professional" soldiers wouldn't think there is any "military" value in "national service"; it doesn't imo produce the standard required for the kind of operations likely to be required these days; it's costly in time (12 weeks basic), and support - board and lodging; and arguably, in the final analysis,in some cases, ends up just putting a uniform on a thug. If work experience is the desired aim, a national "public" service may be more usefull; but that may upset the paid professionals already in those jobs, although, in this age of "the big society", I can see the attraction for Tories in a load of youngsters working for nowt. The reason for the draconian cuts to the MOD, arise mainly from it's record of financial incompetance, with one of the biggest deficits of any ministry; and from the point of view of a Tory, they don't actually produce anything. In the growth equation - we have the (wo)manpower - we have the required works to be done - what we don't have, are the skills necessary, and the capital required to put the two together, so finding that funding is the question that needs to be answered. :(

Very good Obs. I've read that 3 times and, to be honest, I can't agree or disagree with any of it as it is meaningless. However, don't let me stop you ranting on :wink: :wink:

Nope, read it twice more but my eyes keep glazing over and my mind wanders off on a tangent. Sorry Obs, it probably does mean something but I can't for the life of me think what it might be :D :grin: :D

Good old National Service - so many web forums go down that route - it's right up there with comparing people with nazis if they want to stop smoking on maternity wards. :cry:

I believe the Nazis (or at least Hitler himself) wanted to ban smoking full stop! :wink: :wink: