What occassion was this?

algy

The guild was set up in 1807 and 5/8ths by Jebediah Arkwright after the tripe wars of 1805 threatened the production of tripe in the northern areas. the wars were brought about by stiff opposition to the tripe trade by the jellied eel barons in the south, which led to serious fighting around the various regions. seeing that no end was in sight Arkwright proposed a truce between the two sides which gave equal recognition to both the eel workers and tripe stampers. this truce was agreed in 1806 and the guild was formed a year later. Later additions to the guild were the black pudding wranglers and the pickled herring herders.

Tripe stamping is a precise art and carried out by skilled workers. the untreated tripe is spread on specially reinforced boards and stretched to even out any ripples. the workers then don specially designed boots that interlock at every step so that the distinctive diamond pattern can be accurately imprinted into the untreated tripe. they then proceed in pairs down the length of the tripe until it has been reduced in thickness by about a half. once this stamping has been done the tripe is then sent to the vinegar sheds where it is washed several times in vinegar to removes any contaminants and instilling the distinctive taste. from there it proceeds to the cutting room where it sliced into three foot squares ready for boxing and transportation to the various establishments.

an experienced tripe stamper can usually stamp about four miles of tripe an hour.

• Upvote 1

Diz, what's spamping???? :blink: :blink: :blink:

I guess you are joking there Peter as I'm sure you know really but never let it be said that I don't answer a question that is asked of me.

Spam.... well you surely must know what that is. However I will answer anyway.

'Spam' by definition is "a way of flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it"

'Ping'.... well by easy definition and one which you should understand is basically "a network utility to test whether or not a device such as a router, server or switch is contactable. The way this works is the computer or device will generate an ICMP packet that is sent over the local network or internet. The ICMP packet will find its way across the network by having a source and destination IP address. When the device receives this information it then sends a reply saying “yes, I am here”. ie it has been PINGED and has ANSWERED'

So spamping is a simply combination of the two :wink:

PS In relation to the post mine was in reply to I should also add that the definition of 'tripe' is also "Nonsense/ rubbish" :P

I wonder if I got away with all that :D:lol:

And those who had not noticed will now know Peter and will have learnt something too :wink::D

Well 'cop' for this Dizz me' owd mate, the Oxford Dictionary defines the joining up of two words having two totally different meanings for example, 'Oxbridge' or 'ginormous' is known as creating Portmaneau Words, so maybe you have learned something too. :D

:lol::D Indeed I have Algy. I wonder if the oxford dictionaly would like to insert my new creation.

I must tell you off though as when I noticed you had posted in this topic I got all excited thinking you had uploaded another picture for us. Ah well :(:wink:

:lol::D Indeed I have Algy. I wonder if the oxford dictionaly would like to insert my new creation.

I must tell you off though as when I noticed you had posted in this topic I got all excited thinking you had uploaded another picture for us. Ah well :(:wink:

Sory Dizz, I have uploaded photos in the General section, not of Warrington though and certainly not old :wink: .