Where was this chippy?.

algy

1911 Census -

5 Walton Road

Harriet DAVIES Head Single age 25 Fish Chip Business, Stockton Heath Warrington

Olive Eliza CHURCHILL Boarder Single age 26 Fish Chip Business.

Still not the same name but getting nearer and one could have taken over from the other depending on the date of the photo :lol:

I would have been pretty close the the crossroads so were there any similar walls around there Algy/Teeside :lol:

Why on earth are we looking... are we obsessed with a need to know things that we don't really need to know and an even bigger obsession of refusing to give up .. YEP !! 8)

Dizz, I have no photos of that area of Walton Road so cannot shed any more information on where the chip shop was, as SH. wasn't a large populated village in 1911 I would guess that it would not have supported more than one fish & chip shop so personally I would settle for 5 Walton road until someone proves it to the contrary. :wink:

I can't believe I have just looked again Algy after you appear to have given up. That's not like you :shock::P

I can't find any photo's either of that part of Stockton Heath. Maybe it was classed as the grotty area or one not worthy of remembering like parts of today’s village due to it’s fast food establishment. :wink:

I have just checked the whole Parish of 'Stockton Heath' on the 1911 census ( which of course as you know came under the Sub District of 'Budworth' - Reg District of 'Runcorn' - and county of 'Cheshire' then) and ....

... the only people to have the words '*fish*'(wildcarded to show any occurrence) in their occupations are :-

John Lloyd at 6 Heath Street who was a Fish Hawker

Joseph Moss of 72 Mitchell Street who was a Fish and Fruit Dealer

John Taylor of 85 Walton Road who was a Greengrocer Fish Dealer and Fruiterer Dealer

Sarah Jane Smith of 50?? London Road who was a Fish And Chip Dealer and

Harriet Davies and her boarder Olive Churchill of 5 Walton Road who had a 'Fish Chip Business'.( both already mentioned)

The only two that have '*chip*' (wildcarded to show any occurence) in their occupations are the last two.

I can only find one person working in a restaurant and no mention or 'pizza' or 'curry' anywhere either (I just looked for a giggle) :lol:

So we can safely say that in 1911 Stockton Heath clearly was not really into fast foods and take-aways unlike today. :lol:

I've also looked at the civil parishes of 'Walton' and 'Appleton' which sort of overlapped but no fishy or chippy people there.. as they are far to posh for that or didn't want to own up :lol:

Of course both I and 'Find My Past' could be missing something obvious so don't take my word and maybe I should check on 'ancestry' too although that's not quite as good but at least I'd be getting double my money's worth and it would keep me quiet again for a little while.

Yep… I know I’m odd :lol: I wont though as time to lay this one to rest I think before I get the urge for some chips again :lol::blink:

I can't believe I have just looked again Algy after you appear to have given up. That's not like you :shock::P

I can't find any photo's either of that part of Stockton Heath. Maybe it was classed as the grotty area or one not worthy of remembering like parts of today’s village due to it’s fast food establishment. :wink:

I have just checked the whole Parish of 'Stockton Heath' on the 1911 census ( which of course as you know came under the Sub District of 'Budworth' - Reg District of 'Runcorn' - and county of 'Cheshire' then) and ....

... the only people to have the words '*fish*'(wildcarded to show any occurrence) in their occupations are :-

John Lloyd at 6 Heath Street who was a Fish Hawker

Joseph Moss of 72 Mitchell Street who was a Fish and Fruit Dealer

John Taylor of 85 Walton Road who was a Greengrocer Fish Dealer and Fruiterer Dealer

Sarah Jane Smith of 50?? London Road who was a Fish And Chip Dealer and

Harriet Davies and her boarder Olive Churchill of 5 Walton Road who had a 'Fish Chip Business'.( both already mentioned)

The only two that have '*chip*' (wildcarded to show any occurence) in their occupations are the last two.

I can only find one person working in a restaurant and no mention or 'pizza' or 'curry' anywhere either (I just looked for a giggle) :lol:

So we can safely say that in 1911 Stockton Heath clearly was not really into fast foods and take-aways unlike today. :lol:

I've also looked at the civil parishes of 'Walton' and 'Appleton' which sort of overlapped but no fishy or chippy people there.. as they are far to posh for that or didn't want to own up :lol:

Of course both I and 'Find My Past' could be missing something obvious so don't take my word and maybe I should check on 'ancestry' too although that's not quite as good but at least I'd be getting double my money's worth and it would keep me quiet again for a little while.

Yep… I know I’m odd :lol: I wont though as time to lay this one to rest I think before I get the urge for some chips again :lol::blink:

No your not odd Dizz just nosy like me!.