Where was this chippy?.

algy

:lol::lol:

I have no idea where the chippy is as the only ones I know are the ones around here.

That car is one wacky looking thing though and surely it wasn't road legal(if there was such a thing as being 'legal' then of course).

What happened it it rained did the engine flood :lol:

From the looks on the kids and others faces faces I'd give it the caption

'OK so the grown ups have been playing in the shed again but for goodness sake just look at it. Pretty good for a go cart but can someone give them a push please to get them out of the way as that crate is very wobbly, looks uncomfortable to sit on and any moment now it will end in tears.... and NO that's not my dad/uncle/brother... is it yours ? ... no I thought not :unsure::lol: ' :lol:

There is still a wall like that in Stockton Heath Teesidewire that runs along St Thomas church on London road which of course is in the area near to the old St Thomas' School.

Mmmm you have got me thinking now.

Maybe the wall near the church went further up at one time and the chippy was at the end of the row of current day 'cottages' on London road next to the church.

I don't think I'm right with that though and only basing my guess on what you and Grapps said.. I guess you could call mine 'copying and clutching at straws' :oops::lol:

Talking of the chippie in St Heath, a few years ago myself and my neice bought some fish and chips and were walking through the village eating them. We didn't half get some disgusted looks from people passing by, like we were committing a deadly sin by eating fish and chips 'on the hoof'. My neice remarked about this and I told her to ignore them, adding that it mustn't be the done thing in St Heath, they must be too posh to walk while eating. :huh::lol:

There is still a wall like that in Stockton Heath Teesidewire that runs along St Thomas church on London road which of course is in the area near to the old St Thomas' School.

Mmmm you have got me thinking now.

Maybe the wall near the church went further up at one time and the chippy was at the end of the row of current day 'cottages' on London road next to the church.

I don't think I'm right with that though and only basing my guess on what you and Grapps said.. I guess you could call mine 'copying and clutching at straws' :oops::lol:

Dizzy.

It might be my memory playing tricks, but wasn't there a wall like that in front of the Cottages at one time? Bear in mind I started at St. Thomas' School in Sept 1959 Miss Hewitt's class).

Talking of the chippie in St Heath, a few years ago myself and my neice bought some fish and chips and were walking through the village eating them. We didn't half get some disgusted looks from people passing by, like we were committing a deadly sin by eating fish and chips 'on the hoof'. My neice remarked about this and I told her to ignore them, adding that it mustn't be the done thing in St Heath, they must be too posh to walk while eating. :huh::lol:

Ah, sounds like you've met Lucy then, not seen her around here in ages.

Dizzy.

It might be my memory playing tricks, but wasn't there a wall like that in front of the Cottages at one time? Bear in mind I started at St. Thomas' School in Sept 1959 Miss Hewitt's class).

Teeside, If you are referring to Church cottages, I attended St Thomas's school in 1951 and they only had a very low sandstone wall as they have today, also if you look at the photo the Empire Cafe is forward from the cottages on the left, the road is sloping down with the frame of the window and doorway appearing to be vertical, to me that would indicate that it was on the left looking down London Road, that's if it is London Road I suppose it could be Walton Road or Old London Road, that ran from Victoria square up to the London Bridge on the canal.

Was 'Joe' Brookhouse and 'Teddy' Reddish still there when you were there?.

Could this be the 'EMPIRE CAFE' taken in 1910.

StocktonHeath1910.jpg

Teeside, If you are referring to Church cottages, I attended St Thomas's school in 1951 and they only had a very low sandstone wall as they have today, also if you look at the photo the Empire Cafe is forward from the cottages on the left, the road is sloping down with the frame of the window and doorway appearing to be vertical, to me that would indicate that it was on the left looking down London Road, that's if it is London Road I suppose it could be Walton Road or Old London Road, that ran from Victoria square up to the London Bridge on the canal.

Was 'Joe' Brookhouse and 'Teddy' Reddish still there when you were there?.

Could this be the 'EMPIRE CAFE' taken in 1910.

StocktonHeath1910.jpg

You're right. So where is it then? In answer to your other question, no they weren't. The Head was the wonderful Frank Foster and the other male teacher was Peter White.

In 1911 there was a Sarah Jane Smith (widow) and others living at number 50 or 51 London Road and she was a Fish and Chip Dealer.

I say 50 or 51 as the original census looks like 51 but the title says 50.

50 would put her roughly where Lloyds TSB is and 51 would put her on the other side of the road where Thomas Browns Chemist is.

Clearly not the person who owned your chippy as the name isn;t right but how handy to have a fish and chip dealer living near your chippy eh ?

I cant find W P Heys anywhere so maybe the photo is a later than 1910

I guess that is no help at all really :oops::lol:

In 1911 there was a Sarah Jane Smith (widow) and others living at number 50 or 51 London Road and she was a Fish and Chip Dealer.

I say 50 or 51 as the original census looks like 51 but the title says 50.

50 would put her roughly where Lloyds TSB is and 51 would put her on the other side of the road where Thomas Browns Chemist is.

Clearly not the person who owned your chippy as the name isn;t right but how handy to have a fish and chip dealer living near your chippy eh ?

I cant find W P Heys anywhere so maybe the photo is a later than 1910

I guess that is no help at all really :oops::lol:

Dizzy/Teeside, I really can't find where the cafe was and I honestly don't think the photo that I uploaded saying "Could this be the Empire Cafe" is the place that I have indicated, I'm afraid it will be pure conjecture until someone comes up with a valid answer. Dizz if you look at the first photo that I posted there is a number '5' in the middle of the window and underneath there is the letter 'U' missing from Restaurant, I suppose there may have been another number that may have been removed or fallen off?.

I never noticed the number 5 :oops: I doubt there was another number after it as it wouldn't be central then.

Not number 5 London Road as that just has Sidney Johnson (confectioner) and wife although I suppose they could have lived above it and had nothing to do with the chips :lol:

Ahh brainwave... hang on a sec maybe I should look at number 5's on other nearby roads. Nice one Algy :D

1911 Census -

5 Walton Road

Harriet DAVIES Head Single age 25 Fish Chip Business, Stockton Heath Warrington

Olive Eliza CHURCHILL Boarder Single age 26 Fish Chip Business.

Still not the same name but getting nearer and one could have taken over from the other depending on the date of the photo :lol:

I would have been pretty close the the crossroads so were there any similar walls around there Algy/Teeside :lol:

Why on earth are we looking... are we obsessed with a need to know things that we don't really need to know and an even bigger obsession of refusing to give up .. YEP !! 8)