Striking teachers

Egbert

Baz J and Eagle

Can you not express an opinion without becoming offensive?

Did I not say in my post "I accept there are exceptions"?

I can only speak from my own personal experience when I say that most of the young women I speak to say they work from choice rather than need. Perhaps they are being economical with the truth, but if so, that is their fault, not mne.

Surely you can accept that if a young woman (or man) has to run a car and pay for childcare to go to work they are probably not much, if any, better off, by the time you add on all the other costs associated with going to work.

Of course they have the right to go to work if they want - but they shouldn't then moan about the cost of child care.

I can assure you I am not senile. I am aware it is the 21st century - although I think the 20th century was a better time to live, when a house could cost £9,000. I actually paid £2,000 for mine. But then I got paid less than £20-a-week. And my wife stayed home to run the house and bring up the family.

Neither am I rich. But like you I have only one person to blame for that. Myself!

I would remind you that this thread was supposed to be about teachers striking over pensions. There seem to be a lot of people who agree with my original point - but only because of the entirely selfish reason that it will increase their childcare costs.

The real point is that the sort of pensions that were available in the past are no longer sustainable and, contract or not, have to go.

You cannot consider breach of contract without havign read ALL the terms of both the contract and pension scheme. Thats my legal background kicking in as I dont comment legally unless I know all the facts. I suspect that there is within both a little known clause allowing changes to be made because if there wasnt i'm sure the unions first attack would have been through the courts. I know of one case going through regarding RPI / CPI as the base calculation but none regarding breach of contract.

I think its safe to say therefore that there probbaly is a covenant / clause etc that allows this change.

As for the votes, the point I was making is regarding support , not legalility. Less than half of the head teachers and about 1/5th of the other poll support the strike. This is contrary to the unions propaganda saying there is overwhelming support.