Name the two lanes that met here!.

algy

Has a look of Lower Wash Lane/ Grange avenue.

Happy days

Well done Harry, it is 1900s' rural Latchford where Westy Lane met Lower Wash Lane, (later known as Grange Avenue). OK you didn't identify Westy lane but you new exactly where it was. Full points Harry! :D

Incidentally I'm open to correction but I believe the cottage on the left is Latchford Lodge.

ScreenShot001.jpg

OK, whilst we are so clever, :wink: where did the name Raddon Court come from?

No Pete, I never nicked it from the 'Cheese' as far as I know it's still hanging in there.

Raddon Court was originally a large mansion in Thorverton, Devon, with a chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist and as Sylvanus Reynolds came from Devon it wold appear logical to assume that he named his new house after the original mansion.

The Reynolds family who owned Latchford Tannery in Little Wash Lane lived in Raddon Court.

This was the household at the time of the 1881 Census:-

Sylvanus REYNOLDS Head Of Family M Male 57 Crediton, Devon, England Master Tanner Employ 26 Men

Jane REYNOLDS Wife M Female 36 Warrington, Lancashire, England Wife

Betrice REYNOLDS Daughter U Female 17 Latchford, Cheshire, England

Frances Jane REYNOLDS Daughter U Female 16 Latchford, Cheshire, England

Ada REYNOLDS Daughter U Female 11 Latchford, Cheshire, England Daughter

Mary REYNOLDS Daughter U Female 8 Coleshill, Warwick, England Daughter

John REYNOLDS Son U Male 6 Latchford, Cheshire, England Son

Isabel REYNOLDS Daughter U Female 5 Latchford, Cheshire, England Daughter

Sylvia REYNOLDS Daughter U Female 1 Latchford, Cheshire, England Daughter

Ann HOBBY Nurse U Female 59 Coleshill, Warwick, England Nurse

Sarah CLARK Servant U Female 18 Latchford, Cheshire, England Cook

Mary ASHMORE Servant U Female 18 Winsford, Cheshire, England Housemaid

Clara BURROWS Servant U Female 13 Grappenhall, Cheshire, England Under Nurse

AND THESE WERE THERE NEAREST NEIGHBOURS:-

Thomas JACKSON Head Of Family M Male 24 St Helens, Lancashire, England Brushmaker

Mary Ann JACKSON Wife M Female 24 Upholland, Lancashire, England Wife

Robert JACKSON Son Male 5 m Latchford

Alfred RATCLIFFE Boarder M Male 23 Warrington Brushmaker

Well you started it Peter! :wink:

I'm open to correction but I believe the cottage on the left is Latchford Lodge.

ScreenShot001.jpg

Well done Harry :D

In answer to your above question though Algy... I have no idea.

What's the date of your map as the photo I have is dated as c1890 and is identical to yours (even with the kids) but the road names on your map don't seem to exist on the earlier census records nor can I find Latchford Logdge etc on the later ones. Probably just me though as I'm sleepy.

Having just looked it appears so far that the census records show Latchford Lodge as being on 'Lower Wash' (not 'Lower Wash Lane' as that doesn't seem to exist until the 1911 census) I guess that's just because the census collectors were lazy so I wouldn't worry about that. Reynolds Street does not appear until the 1911 one either.

The 1891 census shows the Lodge on Lower Wash and it was

Next to Latchford Lodge, Lower Wash (schedule 4) occupied by Head Robert W Ronald, M D C M Physician & Surgeon from Scotland and his family was

Latchford Grange (schedule 5) Head John Fairclough, Corn Miller, and his family. The Faircloughts again then :wink:

and then

Manor House (schedule 8) Head John Bate, a Farmer, and his family.

I thought the photo I had was older ie c 1890 as it says on my copy but if it isn't then that means it would be pretty much as it was when my Great Granparents lived there. GOD I'VE CONFUSED MYSELF NOW !!!!

Edit coming up later I think :lol:

Clear as mud....... sorry :oops::lol:

Well done Harry :D

In answer to your above question though Algy... I have no idea.

What's the date of your map as the photo I have is dated as c1890 and is identical to yours (even with the kids) but the road names on your map don't seem to exist on the earlier census records nor can I find Latchford Logdge etc on the later ones. Probably just me though as I'm sleepy.

Having just looked it appears so far that the census records show Latchford Lodge as being on 'Lower Wash' (not 'Lower Wash Lane' as that doesn't seem to exist until the 1911 census) I guess that's just because the census collectors were lazy so I wouldn't worry about that. Reynolds Street does not appear until the 1911 one either.

The 1891 census shows the Lodge on Lower Wash and it was

Next to Latchford Lodge, Lower Wash (schedule 4) occupied by Head Robert W Ronald, M D C M Physician & Surgeon from Scotland and his family was

Latchford Grange (schedule 5) Head John Fairclough, Corn Miller, and his family. The Faircloughts again then :wink:

and then

Manor House (schedule 8) Head John Bate, a Farmer, and his family.

I thought the photo I had was older ie c 1890 as it says on my copy but if it isn't then that means it would be pretty much as it was when my Great Granparents lived there. GOD I'VE CONFUSED MYSELF NOW !!!!

Edit coming up later I think :lol:

Clear as mud....... sorry :oops::lol:

Sorry Dizz, I've been messing about with Peters reply, he threw out a challenge that I could not resist, my map was 1907 and same as you it only featured on the earlier maps, pretty sure it is the same house though, that is, Latchford Lodge as it appears to be in the correct position regarding the other houses.

No Pete, I never nicked it from the 'Cheese' as far as I know it's still hanging in there.

Raddon Court was originally a large mansion in Thorverton, Devon, with a chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist and as Sylvanus Reynolds came from Devon it wold appear logical to assume that he named his new house after the original mansion.

The Reynolds family who owned Latchford Tannery in Little Wash Lane lived in Raddon Court.

r

Well you started it Peter! :wink:

Thanks Algy. All interesting stuff.