Immigration (again)!

observer

You might find Baz, that more people are concerned about how often they have their bins emptied than capital punishment, these issues are obviously inportant to you, and it is not my intension to be little them, what you don't get is most people have a different list to yours which is equally important to them. Its a democracy we have to live with that. I think yours views would have been advanced if you had voted for a change to the voting system. You voted for the status quo, and now you are moaning about what you voted for. We have had this system for years you new what you were voting for and would get.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roughly 30% vote Tory, and 30% vote Labour on average, out of an average turnout of around 70%. This means that around 21% of the TOTAL electorate vote Tory and 21% Labour; which means around 58% of folk either don't vote or vote for parties other than the main two. Hardly representative is it? Now before you start to prattle on about the recent AV referendum; that was clearly designed to favour the third Party IE LibDems. The only system that directly proportional in terms of representation, to the actual vote is a party list system, which whilst being imo ideal for a new Upper House, isn't suitable for a constituency based system where only one candidate is required. The tendency to vote for the main parties, probably has many motivations; be it "I've always voted for them cos my Dad did"; or "I just vote for them to keep the others out"; or " well they're the only one's that can form a Government" etc etc. None actually address in policy terms the aspirations or expectations of Joe Public, which can be fickle at the best of times in any case; and no one believes anymore that what they say at an election (manifesto), will be converted into delivery in Government EG: when Gordie signed the Lisbon Treaty, without the promised Referendum. Then you've got the myopia caused by our 4/5 year term of office; most decisions are for the benefit of the Party, in order to get re-elected at the next election, rather than for the long term interests of the Nation; which means political expediency, not facing up to difficult decisions, short term populism tend to be the norm. This inevitably means that we basically stumble from one self inflicted crisis to the next, and it keeps the political class in a job! :unsure:

The majority of folk take the attitude of I'm alright Jack, and can't see further than their little bubble. Some people look to the problems that today will cause in the future. It's not about changing the voting system, but to get people to have some pride in their country and their lives, or are they too despondent because of the way the politicians have sold the country down the river.

Seems we're not the only Country plagued with assylum seeking immigrants: a village in Serbia (pop 6,000) has been swamped by 2,500 immigrants (mostly Somalis and Afghanistanis), all trying to enter the EU. The local crime rate has soared, the last straw for the locals being a rape, allegedly commited by an immigrant. Bit ironic, given the Serbs history with Muslims! :wink:

Just the word "Somalis" conjures up images of workshy beggars on the streets of Manchester and London, benefit claimants crooks and illegals.....

I have no doubt that I will be acussed by the liberal luvvies on here of tarring all Somalis with the same brush; but when you see stories like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026409/Saeed-Khaliif-Ingratitude-Somali-refugee-family-given-2m-London-home.html

Or this one which may interest Asp!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/11/somalia-pirates-network

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...