Are play-offs still a realistic goal?

theinsider

Just wondering what thoughts Warrington fans had on the play-offs now?

Results have improved slightly - but is this team capable of going the distance?

Not seen all the games but been following with interest.

Amazing how Chorley are flying high in the premier now and lost to Warrington twice last season! :shock:

In fact if you look at the top of the premier it contains teams Warrington have competed well with recently

Chorley, Chester, Northwich Vics and Hendesford!

Seems bizarre that Warrington are still mid table in Division One.

Seems discipline could be a problem?

Hi Insider.

As true fans there is always hope of the play offs while it is still mathematically possible. We got off to a bad start to the season with a number of results going against us which we should have or would be expected to win.

There has been a lot of change to the squad during the closed season and it takes time for a team to gel. I`ve seen a huge improvement since the start of the season in both playing as a team and the tactics applied which is starting to show benefits. We`re only 6 points off the play offs, so as to your original question, Yes there is still hope in acheiving the play offs, whether we`re good enough to beat the other teams in the play offs is another matter, but as a fan one always has hope.

If you attend the matches make yourself known, I`m always behind the team dug out and up for a chat on the teams performance on the day whether good or bad.

We dont bite.

BR

Ian

There has been a lot of change to the squad during the closed season and it takes time for a team to gel.

If you attend the matches make yourself known, I`m always behind the team dug out and up for a chat on the teams performance on the day whether good or bad.

We dont bite.

BR

Ian

Eight of last night's squad were in the team last season and I think a couple of others who were not there last night are still at the club?

Thank you for your invitation but I have upset too many people on here with my constructive criticisms in the past :unsure:

I am sure a conversation with club mascot Pieman will enlighten your afternoons :blink:

Its the begining of November and we are 6 points off. I dont take that as too bad at all.

I agree in recent weeks there has been a distinct improvement although we do look weak at the back. What is reassuring is if we do go down we always look like we can now get back into it. I dont feel even with the results to date there has been a team yet that I have seen at least was the toal beating of us when 11 against 11.

We need a run of results and a few clean sheets woudnt go a miss. Ask me again in January! :P

Eight of last night's squad were in the team last season and I think a couple of others who were not there last night are still at the club?

Okay, perhaps `a lot` was the wrong phrase and should have perhaps referred to `Key Influential Players` that we have lost since last season.

Thank you for your invitation but I have upset too many people on here with my constructive criticisms in the past :unsure:

I`m sorry your not able to take up my offer.

I am sure a conversation with club mascot Pieman will enlighten your afternoons :blink:

Only know Pieman to say hello to in passing, as I said I tend to stand behind the dug out not behind the goal. Barmy Army are far too noisy and boisterous for my liking.

So if you attend the occasional match and follow the reports, whats your thought of the team reaching the play offs?

BR

Ian

and a few clean sheets woudnt go a miss.

8 Goalkeepers this season, IIRC, and we rotate our defence quite a bit (Corrigans injury, players coming and going quite a bit) No Consistancy at the back. Newcastle for example, use a constistant back four to get clean sheets, and they have 2 good keepers. I know players come and go every week at this level, but a back four of Doughty, Cross, Tomlinson and Hardwick would be practically unbeatable. Fair enough if players want to retire, but why sign players for the sake of 2 games? We have a weak back four, but if we could get some great players like Doughty or Cross, but make sure that they aren't likely to leave for whatever reason, we could build from there.

Whats happened with Oldfield? Have Leicester got him or not? Hows Pritchard doing?

Barmy Army are far too noisy

Isn't that the point...? See what you mean though.

we have a major improvement since start of season pritch should be back hopefully in the next few weeks, im liking the new left back and its great to see corrigan back.

we have a strong back 4 with duffy river(player of season) hardwick and cross we need a bit more stability in midfield and a heskey type striker who will hold up the ball but we have good strength aqnd depth in the team my only concern is that just over half of the squad are wingers :/ what ever happened to dale anyway he was a great player

I agree with the above, but how many times have we played the same back four 2 games in a row? I know there has been injuries and retirements, but we should still try to play the same defense every match. I don't even think discipline has affected that much.

But I think we DO have good strength in depth. Duffy, Jackson, Humphries, Hardwick, Corrigan, Cross, etc, we have possibly the best choice of back 4 in the league, maybe lacking height, but we have great cover at the back with good options at the other end as well. We have had also had a ridiculous amount of keepers this season (7 over 2 seasons is still pretty bad...), so we can cover for injuries everywhere apart from in the center, who I don't personally think play consistently enough, so I reckon if we target 2 quality central mids, we should have an easy shout for a mid-table finish in the NPL next year. ...If we don't, we can just hope we can take the place of Skum or Curzon in 12/13.

An Emile Heskey type striker? We're getting a bit desperate...

Seriously though, Salmon was a bit like Heskey, can't score for toffee but good team player. Sign him back and stick him in net... (At this rate, I wouldn't rule it out...)

Salmon and Evo (The non-league Shrek and Donkey...?) or Gahgan, Hendo and Thommo?

Not sure about promotion this season, wouldn't rule it out, but Conference North by 2016 is a perfectly reasonable aim.

Salmon and Evo (The non-league Shrek and Donkey...?) or Gahgan, Hendo and Thommo?

Personally I think our strike force has greatly improved since playing Hickey up front. I`ve always liked Hickey for his work effort and committment when in midfield, but since placing him up front my admiration of him as a player has grown even more, I would like to see him played up there more often, never gives up the chase, not like others we`ve had in that position.

Ian

I have always considered him as an attacking midfielder who can be played up front, like Pelé was. I was generally going off what I considered to be their best position, but fair enough, I should have included Hickey with that.

By the way, I do think we have 2 of the best CMs in the league in Finlay and Hickey, just we don't have cover as good as we do in other positions. And both of these were sent off the other week, so you should see what I mean.