Douglas Gandy Clog Maker.

algy

I wonder if that is where my little pair of clogs came from ?

Did people really wear clogs though or were 'clogs' slightly different in his day than the hard hollowed out things that I am thinking about :oops:

Ooops sorry Algy :oops:... maybe you or someone can tell me once the answer to your question has been correctly guessed incase Cleo is wrong (not that she probably will be of course) :D

I wonder if that is where my little pair of clogs came from ?

Did people really wear clogs though or were 'clogs' slightly different in his day than the hard hollowed out things that I am thinking about :oops:

Ooops sorry Algy :oops:... maybe you or someone can tell me once the answer to your question has been correctly guessed incase Cleo is wrong (not that she probably will be of course) :D

the clogs were wooden soled with leather tops. Had steel tracks inderneath to stop the wood wearing out, made a hell of a noise when walking. You couldn't creep up on anyone if you were wearing a pair, They would hear you coming from streets away.

I think you are thinking of the dutch clogs as worn in Holland.

the clogs were wooden soled with leather tops. Had steel tracks inderneath to stop the wood wearing out, made a hell of a noise when walking. You couldn't creep up on anyone if you were wearing a pair, They would hear you coming from streets away.

I think you are thinking of the dutch clogs as worn in Holland.

As usual Cleo's correct, I can always tell when she knows she's correct as she doesn't give a 'daft' answer. :wink:

And again Cleo is correct about the clogs, I always wore them when I was young I had a red pair for playing out and a blue pair for best and my mum always bought them from Gandies, if you kicked the irons on the cobbles you could make sparks, it looked great in the dark. :D

I want some of those clogs now to go with my others.

I guess due to H&S they would be banned these days though incase you stood on someones foot, kicked them by accident when playing or set fire to something with the sparks you mention Algy.

I have a lovely little image of you (in my head of course) running up and down those cobbled streets in your litle red clogs Algy without a care in the world, laughing at your sparks, giggling and playing with your chums and wondering what was for tea.

Nice picture :D

Thank you for that Algy. As usual you come up trumps. :P

One final question. Looking at your map and modern maps, Is Rose and Crown street now, not just Academy Street or am I way off?

No Wireboy your not that far away, but not Academy Street, The entrance from Mersey Street to Rose & Crown Street was about a couple of hundred yards east of Bank Street and came out more or less where Academy way hits Bridge Street opposite Friars Gate.

Many years ago,probably more than I care to remember I was a police officer with Lancashire constabulary,whilst at the Bruche training centre we were comparing truncheons mine had a leather thong,it would seem other constabularies issued them without.

No worries I said I know a shop in the town where you can get one fitted,so of we went about ten of us sporting truncheons and walked into Mr Gandy's shop,he was sat at his last,when he looked up,the poor guy very nearly had a heart attack probably thought he was under attack.

When we had convinced him we were in fact police officers wanting leather thongs on our truncheons,he actually cut the leather stips and fitted them while we waited,a really nice guy.

I remember when it was a standard rule, if you were wearing clogs you couldn't play in the soccer game, cos you could burst the ball. That was before they started playing with a beach ball. They were hell on the ankles and just about everybody would make a series of halfinch cuts around the top edge to stop them biting into your leg.

Thought you mike all like to see this.

It is a painting that was done of Mr Gandy by a gent called Alan (I won't put his surname as he may not want his name splashed across the forum).

Anyway, I hope I've got this right as it was relayed to me last night by my other half and I was half asleep. The gent who painted it also kindly gave us a photo print of the actual painting too.

Alan drew Mr Gandy while he was working and painted the picture BUT Mr Gandy had actually been working with his sleeves down and buttoned. Alan decided it didn't look right so he got another older chap to roll his sleeves up and he drew this mans lower arms in place of Mr G's sleeves. I wonder if Mr G minded ?

Great picture :D

GGpaintingreduced.jpg

That is one heck of a quality painting by a talented artist, brilliant, thanks Dizz. :)

You may have noticed I've had a clear out on photobucket again, I have to do that now and then as it gets to cluttered with me posting so many pics, however if anyone wants one they can always PM me and I will send the original file over.