Back to Town!

algy

Where is this?.

1900.jpg

Wireboy's correct.

It is Buttermarket Street, the shop on the left is No.42 Leigh Bros. printers, across the entry called Cropper's Brow is No. 38. a Pawnbrokers owned by Mrs Lucy Craik - looks to be closed down in this photo and 36. James G. Craik, Tailors shop.

We all know how people that have been away from the town for a long time often say they’d hardly recognise the place now but could you imagine going back in time to the days of these photographs? Would we recognise where we were and would we be able to find our way around?

Bill :)

We all know how people that have been away from the town for a long time often say they’d hardly recognise the place now but could you imagine going back in time to the days of these photographs? Would we recognise where we were and would we be able to find our way around?

Nope.

I guess the only iconic landmark where you could get your bearings would be St Elphins church.

Wouldn't it be great to go back and have a look around? I think most people would prefer the town of old to the one we have now. :rolleyes:

In a word, no.

From some of algy's old photo's, it's damned nigh impossible to recognise some streets without doing some research.

Going back in time to 1900, which isn't really a long time in the scheme of things, would be like stepping into a different world but I would like to be able to do it because I believe the town had much more character and interest than modern day Warrington. Not to mention the eccentric characters that used to be in the town. Everything is too sterile today, IMO.

In a word, no.

From some of algy's old photo's, it's damned nigh impossible to recognise some streets without doing some research.

Going back in time to 1900, which isn't really a long time in the scheme of things, would be like stepping into a different world but I would like to be able to do it because I believe the town had much more character and interest than modern day Warrington. Not to mention the eccentric characters that used to be in the town. Everything is too sterile today, IMO.

Cleo & Bill

Yes it would be great to see the town as it was around the late 1800's and early 1900's, the half timbered shops in the narrow streets, the horse and carriages thundering over cobbled sets, however I think we would be shocked and emotionally affected to see what poor conditions the average town dweller would be enduring, with begging and abject poverty commonplace at that time, poor sanitation with the nasty smells and flies that accompany them, I'm not going to ramble on but place photos on here of the living conditions of those times.

The oldest house in Warrington dates from the 15th century and was situated between Fennel Street & Cockhedge Lane.

TheoldesthouseinWarringtonearly15thcenturybetweenFennelStCockedgeLane.jpg

the oldest house.

TheoldesthouseinWarrington.jpg

1.Inside the oldest house

TheoldesthouseLivingroom2.jpg

2.Inside the oldest house.

Theoldesthouselivingroom1.jpg

Trinity place of bridge Street.

TrinityPlaceoffBridgeStreet.jpg

The Old Crow Inn passage.

TheOldCrowtoprightNo3BridgeStreet.jpg

1904.The inhabitants of the notorious Hell Fire Square off Oliver Street.

1904TheinhabitantsofthenotoriousHellFireSquareoffOliverStreet.jpg

1904.Oliver.Street.Townsend.of.fWinwick.Street, the child looks very undernourished and probably suffering from Ricketts.

1904OliverStreetTownsendoffWinwickStreetthechildlooksveryundernourished.jpg

Oliver Street again.

1900sOliverstreet.jpg

Dwellings in Cheapside, Golden Square Off Horsemarket Street.

1900sCheapsideGoldenSquareoffHorsemarketStreet.jpg